Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Bike Adventurers --- anyone interested?

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries

Small Bike Adventurers

Starting a group based in Auckland who will ride < 151cc motorbikes around Auckland/Waikato/North/NZ --- the sort of lightweight, cheap to buy and run bikes that Learners should be buying to cut their teeth on --- have lunch somewhere then back home after dirtying up the little beasts --- possible long adventures across the country once a year or so

bikes will have to be ROAD LEGAL ideally farm bikes, AG100/XTZ125/AG125/(N)XR125/XR150/ETX150/TF125/KLX150 etc, but road bikes GN125/DA135 will work, we'll just stay out of knee deep water

learner rider friendly and a good place to start if you're wanting to give "adv" a go (less than 3K will get you a brand new bike that's suitable) I'll have all the tools to fix punctures and repairs on the trails along with first aid kit/training so don't worry if you're missing that kit

I personally have had many sized bikes and have found the adventures on my little bikes to be as memorable or more so than on my bigger bikes

there's just something about riding a small bike out of the city, exploring the back country roads then home again, feels more "adventurous" at the end of the day

if this sounds like you, send me an PM -- I head out on rides atleast once a month on a weekend day, you're welcome to join me

Bike
    GG ec250, KDX200
    Sounds like a blast! If I lived in Auck's I'd be into that.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    That sounds like an absolute hoot, if your heading up my way on those mighty steeds I could be tempted to put my 125 Randonee back on the road for a few days. It's full bore, de-restricted, tuned to 12hp with a turquoise power band and has the 4ltr Safari tank. It also has a seat with the comfort of a Stanley knife..
    Manopausal.

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post

bikes will have to be ROAD LEGAL ideally farm bikes, AG100/XTZ125/AG125/XR125/XR150/ETX150/TF125 etc, but road bikes GN125/DA135 will work, we'll just stay out of knee deep water
    or Honda NXR125, perhaps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honda NXR125.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	330254  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    YES thats the sort, I know honda have a few in the 125 area just cant remember their names, since they were all the same bike just sold in different regions with minor changes ~_O I call that an xr125 duster or whatever

basically the group is like NGARNZ except you don't have to pay to ride your bike --- and you ride on a small bike instead of their 250cc+ rule --- I've ridden a few of their rides but got over paying for what was mostly public access roads --- if there is enough uptake i'll incorporate and get liability insurance to get into the few gated forestry blocks up north and south... for now, it's just about getting out and riding, maybe going places you wouldnt normally, taking it easy and having fun

Love hooning around Waikato back roads on my non legal 160.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2015 Zongshen RX3

Down south too please!

What an awesome idea. I've just bought a Zongshen RX3 250cc adventure bike and after over 1500k's in the first month can agree that you don't need a zillion dollar Bavarian spaceship to have an adventure.
    If any of the little battlers are in the Manawatu, give me a call and I'll show you hundreds of km of stunning un sealed roads.
    Its never too late to have a happy childhood!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    super short notice as always --- but plan on riding out on the little xtz to do the 42nd traverse if possible (if its impossibru just loop out west and back) this weekend SUN 4-5 / camp somewhere if don't feel up to 16 hours in the saddle --- let me know if you're interested before saturday night

Bike
    Blog Entries
    done, what a mission --- XTZ did very well, is battered after getting stuck ~30km into the 42nd traverse, but she kept running ---took me home and back to work today without issues

have to say Yamaha have designed the little bike to take a tumble (or 5) indicators bend to the extreme then a clip releases and they hang / simple clip and they're back on like nothing happened --- bike flipped a few times and got a trip in the drink but started up fine only visible damage is the gear shift is bent --- had to get towed out of a slip which was all clay which was the only slow going on the trail

definitely don't recommend taking a big bike on that trail until summer / wait till after it gets repaired --- the washout is just too steep/slippery to traverse --- difficult even on a quad with a winch

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Were you travelling South to North or North to South? I'd like to update the details for the 42nd on the Adventure Riding NZ website so other riders know.

http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/g...42nd-traverse/
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    South to north -- started SHW47 side

just some more thoughts on the XTZ125 --- the Mirrors are great, they took a pounding as you saw in photos, swiveled backwards etc (just loosened themselves) no broken glass or anything, if that had been my DRZ i'd be looking for 2 new mirrors today

2nd, the headlight is VERY good for a 35w, I rode from 9:30PM >>> 3:30AM back to auckland through fog / darkness and the light was very good --- for $3200 +orc new it sure is a bargain even at regular RRP ~4k its a great bike

Ti Kiwiti BP station is excellent for night stops as its OPEN with comfy seating / food / drinks / TV / and WARM! if you need a break --- 24x7 open, every other petrol station I passed on the way is NIGHTPAY only

Bike
    Dr350
    What do you find is the comfortable cruising speed on the road for these? Love the idea, i got a dr250 to do what you are doing, if you ever come down to the naki and don't mind a 250 joining in give me a yell

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    South to north -- started SHW47 side

just some more thoughts on the XTZ125 --- the Mirrors are great, they took a pounding as you saw in photos, swiveled backwards etc (just loosened themselves) no broken glass or anything, if that had been my DRZ i'd be looking for 2 new mirrors today

2nd, the headlight is VERY good for a 35w, I rode from 9:30PM >>> 3:30AM back to auckland through fog / darkness and the light was very good --- for $3200 +orc new it sure is a bargain even at regular RRP ~4k its a great bike

Ti Kiwiti BP station is excellent for night stops as its OPEN with comfy seating / food / drinks / TV / and WARM! if you need a break --- 24x7 open, every other petrol station I passed on the way is NIGHTPAY only

Bike
    Blog Entries
    sit between 80-90KPH as thats all she'll do unless long flat/downhill --- line haulers were passing out of vision on me at night so can't keep up with them heh

Bike
    2017 V-Strom 650
    Ha loved my XR150 did a 4000km trip around the south island on one looks like a fantastic idea

For anyone interested
    However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicksta View Post
    Ha loved my XR150 did a 4000km trip around the south island on one looks like a fantastic idea

For anyone interested
    Thats was very cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information