Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle lift tables?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha Fj1200, !986 Yamaha xj900

Motorcycle lift tables?

Hi
    Looking for some feedback on motorcycle lifts.
    My old knee,s are starting to suffer so looking at buying a lift for maintenance and cleaning of my bikes.
    There are some on trade me that seem fairly priced would be keen to hear from anyone who has one

Cheers

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-473291638.htm

Bike
    moped
    Hi Anromeda.
    I have had one for the last ten years and would not do without it. Got it from Trade me from a guy in Christchurch, simalar to what is on Trade Me, Very easy to operate, and load the bike onto. i drilled some holes into the platform so i can use tie downs just for a little more of the saftey aspect of holding the bike secure. Mine has two different work heights to work at. Depending what size bikes you have i see he has a slightly cheaper model which will do most motorcycles.
    I can assure you now once you have one, you will have wished you had it years ago.
    Russ

Bike
    Honda VF750f.
    I am toying with making something like this at the moment. I have most of the stuff I need,just need to make some room in the shed so I can get going on it.

For a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. Keep an open mind, just dont let your brains fall out.

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    I wish I had the money!

I have seen old hospital beds converted into bike lifts, but I dont think they can exceed 200kgs

Bike
    Hi Unstuck

Like your idea of making your own. I found this on the net a table made of timber looks quiet usefull...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle_Lift_assembly_Rev1K_030707.pdf  

Bike
    moped
    PM me if you want to have a look at the lift, as i live in Waikanae also.

Bike
    Hi Rustys

I would relly like to see a lift for real before parting with my $$$ .

A friend of mine in the UK has a handy lift made in the US that must be over 20 years old now very sturdy but also very expensive .
    For just weekend use a cheaper version will be fine Im sure.

As Im a new member I am not allowed to send PMs yet but I think I can reply if you send the first one

I am looking at making one of these

http://www.bbcracing.com/old/box/

Im going to use 2 sheets of 18mm MDF - Its about $60 a sheet, so $120 total.

Seems pretty straight forward.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
    There are some on trade me that seem fairly priced would be keen to hear from anyone who has one
    I bought a new one for a similar price to the one you've linked to and have had no end of trouble with the hydraulic ram leaking.

I should have known better than to buy cheap Chinese crap.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    I am looking at making one of these

http://www.bbcracing.com/old/box/

Im going to use 2 sheets of 18mm MDF - Its about $60 a sheet, so $120 total.

Seems pretty straight forward.
    You would be better off using Ply than MDF.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I bought a new one for a similar price to the one you've linked to and have had no end of trouble with the hydraulic ram leaking.

I should have known better than to buy cheap Chinese crap.

yes. yes you should have!

go pnuematic, not hydraulic, at least hen if it leaks it won't make a mess... ><

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
    Hi
    Looking for some feedback on motorcycle lifts.
    My old knee,s are starting to suffer so looking at buying a lift for maintenance and cleaning of my bikes.

Cheers

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...-473291638.htm

Thats a hellva lot of money. Repco has some advertised a while ago for $200. My mate has one identical to the Repco one which I've used on my 246kg cruiser. Worked well, except the cradle was a fraction narrower than the frame on my bike. Just had to make an adapter to suit. Problem with cruisers is the ground clearance. I will measure the height of a small floor jack and see if it has the clearance to slide a steel support plate between the jack plate and the bike frame.

The crowd in Paeroa make a basic leverage type lift to get the back wheel off the ground for cruisers. My problem with that, is I would need to get the bike up higher to allow the rear wheel out past the rear guard. Also my engine is lower than the frame at the front, so I couldn't use that type to get the front wheel off the ground.

There must be plenty of ideas out there.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    You would be better off using Ply than MDF.
    Why? I think MDF is stronger than ply? Im going to fully paint it with a non slip paint, so should be pretty OK in terms of spilling fluids on it, and its not excatly going to get rained on in my garage

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenMistake View Post
    I wish I had the money!

I have seen old hospital beds converted into bike lifts, but I dont think they can exceed 200kgs
    That'll be fine unless you have something heavy like a hyo...

Forget lift stands, my garage is so small I need stacking stands so I can fit more bikes in

I looked into this a while ago, was thinking of using an air cylinder so I could just run the compressor into it, and not worry about oil leaks. Pity the cylinder was going to be over a grand
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    That'll be fine unless you have something heavy like a hyo...

Forget lift stands, my garage is so small I need stacking stands so I can fit more bikes in

I looked into this a while ago, was thinking of using an air cylinder so I could just run the compressor into it, and not worry about oil leaks. Pity the cylinder was going to be over a grand
    just buy a hydraulic car / floor jack and use that to lift the bike upwards.

Thread Information