Thread: GSX550ES con rod length needed

Bike
    1991 Gsxr 400 GK76A

GSX550ES con rod length needed

Does anyone one know the heart to heart length of the gsx550es con rod. I cannot find it anywhere.
    It needs to be the Es model or any similer model with the 51mm stroke, as I believe the Australian e model had a shorter stroke of 40 something.
    Cheers
    Nobbsie

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobbsie View Post
    Does anyone one know the heart to heart length of the gsx550es con rod. I cannot find it anywhere.
    It needs to be the Es model or any similer model with the 51mm stroke, as I believe the Australian e model had a shorter stroke of 40 something.
    Cheers
    Nobbsie
    They're all 50.6mm stroke. WTF do you need this info for ? If you're looking for interchangeabilty, big and small end ID's are more important.

Bike
    1991 Gsxr 400 GK76A
    The reason I need to know is because I already know the other sizes but need to know the length to see if i can fit them in a different engine

Bike
    Exercycle
    The reason I need to know is because I already know the other sizes but need to know the length to see if i can fit them in a different engine
    That's the easy bit - either space the barrel if they're longer - or machine the required amount off the barrel if they're shorter....

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    That's the easy bit - either space the barrel if they're longer - or machine the required amount off the barrel if they're shorter....
    Exactly that! A lifetime ago, I had to machine the barrel of a 60's Tiger 100 500 to turn it into an oversquare supercharged 350, fitted with a short stroke crank for drag racing.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Exactly that! A lifetime ago, I had to machine the barrel of a 60's Tiger 100 500 to turn it into an oversquare supercharged 350, fitted with a short stroke crank for drag racing.
    I suspect you'd have done better - and certainly had a better combustion chamber shape - if you'd started with a T90...

Putting a 600 yamaha rod and pin in an Aermacchi single requires machining a half inch off the barrel - but it lets you put the engine further forward.
    And it's reliable....

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    I suspect you'd have done better - and certainly had a better combustion chamber shape - if you'd started with a T90...

Putting a 600 yamaha rod and pin in an Aermacchi single requires machining a half inch off the barrel - but it lets you put the engine further forward.
    And it's reliable....
    It had a modified Tiger 100 head but head shape isn't so critical with a supercharger and nitro. Keeping the barrel and head on the crankcase was the big worry l

Bike
    1991 Gsxr 400 GK76A
    Yea but I would like to compare the length to another rod, to try get the longest stroke. I'd like to do this without having to buy two different rods

Bike
    Exercycle
    Yea but I would like to compare the length to another rod, to try get the longest stroke. I'd like to do this without having to buy two different rods
    Well in the old days, you'd go and poke around a wreckers yard...

Rod length has nothing to do with stroke except at the design stage. If you want the longest rod for geometric reasons, fair enough.

Bike
    1991 Gsxr 400 GK76A
    I'm not currently in the position to go to a wrecker. Or near anyone I know of with one to measure. So I was simply asking for a piece of information I thought one of you might know, so I can continue my ideas wether they are right or wrong.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So, how's that working out for you?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1991 Gsxr 400 GK76A
    Could be worse, looks like I'll use a different crank, with different rods which will fit better with less work

Thread Information