Thread: As noob as you can get

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT07

Cool As noob as you can get

Hey everyone

I'm very new to the motorboke world, so new I'm not sitting the basic handling skills part for my learners until this Thursday!! However once I have sorted the license part out I plan on getting a R3 as my first bike, I have read a lot of good things and figured it would be a good bike to learn on!

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    As an R3, rider I can definitely vouch for the R3 being a great learner bike. I've often thought that I'd have loved it to have been an option when I first started learning. In my case, the R3 is my 11th bike, and of those it is one of my favorites. It's definitely one of those bikes that as your skills increase you will appreciate it more and more.

That said, I'd definitely recommend buying a secondhand one - despite what I said above, as a new rider, you will probably want to experience a bigger and more powerful bike at some point (or even just something that's different).

I'd also recommend replacing the OEM bias ply tyres with a pair of radials, which vastly improves the handling of the bike.

Also, if you do end up getting an R3, I would highly recommend joining www.r3-forums.com. It's a great resource for R3 riders, and there's a lot of very knowledgeable people there that are willing to share their advice and experience.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    If you are interested, here is a post that I wrote earlier about my background and experiences with the R3. Although my previous experience is different from yours, it may still be interesting reading.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...pid=1131025673

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT07
    Thank you for the info and advice!

Bike
    2015, Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    As an R3, rider I can definitely vouch for the R3 being a great learner bike.
    I'll second that, it's been a great bike so far. Still under 1,000km (only really riding to work and short weekend rides) so original rubber still in fairly good condition, but that has to be one of the most commonly recommended upgrades, which I look forward to.

What I noticed when buying though was they appear to hold their value. A lot of listings were only slightly cheaper than buying new, I ended up heading into the dealer and stumbling across a very low-km (basically new) trade-in, it all checked out and honestly as it was my first bike I liked the peace of mind of buying from a dealer.

I know a lot of people will say not to buy new, that you'll want something bigger soon enough, get something cheap to learn on.. But I don't intend on selling the R3. I'll either end up with it as a weekday bike and an R6 (or something) for weekends, or it'll slowly turn into a track-bike.

Welcome to two wheels anyway!

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT07
    Quote Originally Posted by CJR View Post
    I'll second that, it's been a great bike so far. Still under 1,000km (only really riding to work and short weekend rides) so original rubber still in fairly good condition, but that has to be one of the most commonly recommended upgrades, which I look forward to.

What I noticed when buying though was they appear to hold their value. A lot of listings were only slightly cheaper than buying new, I ended up heading into the dealer and stumbling across a very low-km (basically new) trade-in, it all checked out and honestly as it was my first bike I liked the peace of mind of buying from a dealer.

I know a lot of people will say not to buy new, that you'll want something bigger soon enough, get something cheap to learn on.. But I don't intend on selling the R3. I'll either end up with it as a weekday bike and an R6 (or something) for weekends, or it'll slowly turn into a track-bike.

Welcome to two wheels anyway!
    I am thinking of getting a new one. I have a few reasons but it will probably be the only bike i could afford to get new!! Pretty sure prices go up very quickly as you go up in engine size. You're right about them holding their value, I had a look on trademe and most of them seemed to be hardly any cheaper!

Thread Information