Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st to 2nd Conundrums

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT07

Question 1st to 2nd Conundrums

Last week I went for a motorcycle lesson, also my first time riding but has definitely got me hooked! The instructor was very pleased with how quick I was picking it all up but one thing that he said has confused me quite a bit.
    He told me that when going from first to second gear to not do it too quickly or it won't go into second and instead end up in neutral. So my question is, when changing from first to second, do I need to pull the clutch in then wait a moment or when lifting up the gear change to I need to hold it up for longer?

I'm sure I must sound pretty stupid but once I know what it is I actually need to do to guarantee it changes correctly I'll be set!

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    sounds like a gay cunt.
    depending on the bike, it's finicky to hit neutral when you want to, let alone a falsey.

if you did, just drop the pawl and kick it again for 2nd.

but you should be able to kick through all the gears without the clutch.

practice, grasshopper.

-edit-
    a gay cunt -or- he determined that you're a bit enthusiastic about your inputs. it doesn't take much to change gear, or do anything.
    as with any other vehicle, you're there to guide it. you're still at the mercy of physics and gravity and shit.

relax, grasshopper.

Bike
    Honda
    Unlikely to be talking about false neutral, that can happen with any gear change up or down. Listen to and appease an instructor, they like it that way and 90% of the time they are on the money. But like anyone, they have their own personal opinion on riders habits good or bad. Possibly thinks you are changing into 2nd before the revs get up?

More of a distance traveled thing (2 mts instead of 10+ mts) rather than the speed in which change gear?
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    I find neutral all the time, usually when the engine is not fully warmed up, or not wearing the normal riding boots --- muscle memory is a bitch to retrain

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    I find neutral all the time, usually when the engine is not fully warmed up, or not wearing the normal riding boots --- muscle memory is a bitch to retrain
    i'll be on and off a few bikes every week. some (mostly newer) bikes, i could fart into neutral, it's that little force required...
    not that i can't fart... just, the velocitation and whatnot.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    and if it's your first time riding, you've a long road ahead... all good things, and all that...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    depending on the bike, it's finicky to hit neutral when you want to, let alone a falsey.

Hmmm, fair call. I have that bike.

OP, perhaps you were being a bit overzealous with your change up. Some bikes require a firm but not forceful shift from 1st to 2nd, it's not an instant click, more like a momentary wait for all the bits to get aligned before it snicks in. My big bike is like that when cold, I have to get the revs up a bit, momentarily close throttle, clutch in and weight the lever up until it clicks in. If I just tap it up it's mechanically harsh and no guarantee it will select 2nd.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    weight the lever... until it clicks in
    job done .
    /thread

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    I find the opposite, Im likely to hit a Neutral if im just pootling down the road, and slowly / gently shift from 1st to second.
    Doesnt happen during spirited riding opportunities.

If you didnt hit a neutral, dont worry about it.
    If you did, just remember to be firm (but not rough) with your shift from 1 to 2.

depends on the bike youre riding too. bikes are like women, some have very tight boxes that provide lots of feedback and feel, and some have looser, worn-out flogged boxes that make odd noises and are a bit vague.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT07
    Thanks for all the useful input. I was probably just being too gentle. Will figure that one out next week!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
    I find the opposite, Im likely to hit a Neutral if im just pootling down the road, and slowly / gently shift from 1st to second.
    Doesnt happen during spirited riding opportunities.

If you didnt hit a neutral, dont worry about it.
    If you did, just remember to be firm (but not rough) with your shift from 1 to 2.

depends on the bike youre riding too. bikes are like women, some have very tight boxes that provide lots of feedback and feel, and some have looser, worn-out flogged boxes that make odd noises and are a bit vague.

I once rode a bike that had a box like a Wizards sleeve.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    motocompo
    This is the first time I have ever heard of the need to treat first to second any differently to any other shift.
    It's entirely possible that some of us may consider your instructor to be a noob.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I once rode a bike that had a box like a Wizards sleeve.
    and were your, err, feet, long enough to reach the tighter bit?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    This is the first time I have ever heard of the need to treat first to second any differently to any other shift.
    It's entirely possible that some of us may consider your instructor to be a noob.
    You never owned an old Bultaco? Montesa? Maico......
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    You never owned an old Bultaco? Montesa? Maico......
    The antique BMW in my profile pic requires quite some technique too to be fair.

Thread Information