Thread: draining battery

Bike
    hondacb1300sa 2006

Thumbs up draining battery

put a new battery and rectifier on my Honda cb1300sa 2006 model due to probs with old ones now something is draining my battery I have read on other sites the starter switch could cause this anyone else had this problem I have gone through all other routes checking for wires shorting and all connecting plugs thanks

Bike
    A
    Reg/rec problems are common on lots of bikes. Are you sure the new reg/rec isn't a dud? As in was it installed properly, and was the battery charged to some extent prior to install?

Got any electrical items that aren't running via a switched live? Have you got a GPS tracker or some such thingee?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Sounds like a charging fault. Put a multimeter on the battery and lift the revs to 5k. Should hit about 14.5v. If below 13.5v you have a charging fault.

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    ...Got any electrical items that aren't running via a switched live? Have you got a GPS tracker or some such thingee?
    Yeah, heated grips seem to be a common slow-drain problem - many have crappy switching.
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I got quite obsessed with a similar problem last year. I fixed it by pulling the fuses one by one and measuring the evening and morning currents. Turned out to be a short on the new horn I had installed, 3 months earlier. That's now in the bin and I have one that doesn't drain the battery.

The good news was that a part of the long diagnosis, was swapping all lights for LEDs. I can now park the bike at night, with Park Lights on, and she still starts in the morning
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    hondacb1300sa 2006

Checks

Thanks for info have done all the basic checks rectifier ok battery ok readings ok I don't have any extras on the bike picked up another starter switch off a newer bike going to try that cheers

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Sounds like a charging fault. Put a multimeter on the battery and lift the revs to 5k. Should hit about 14.5v. If below 13.5v you have a charging fault.
    I agree. You've done battery and reg/rect, I think it's time to check the alternator. If you've been running a worn out battery or bad reg/rect for a while that can root the alternator. Or maybe it was the alternator all along...
    The start switch is disconnected if the ignition is off so I doubt it's that but fair enough to always try the easy stuff first, but is your starter motor warm in the morning...?

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    I got quite obsessed with a similar problem last year. I fixed it by pulling the fuses one by one and measuring the evening and morning currents. Turned out to be a short on the new horn I had installed, 3 months earlier.
    That's good diagnosis work by YellowDog, but I think he was measuring voltage though, not current...
    BUT if you have an ammeter setting on your multimeter and connect it in series to one side of your battery (with the bike stopped and turned off as usual) you can see if there is a current draw from your battery in real time, instead of waiting till you've got a flat batt in the morning. If there is a draw then you've probably got a wiring short. Then pull fuses or disconnect stuff one at a time till the current drops to zero and that'll narrow your search down to a single circuit. IF it's a wiring short and not the alternator. Or something else....

Stay patient but keep trying stuff, this sort of problem can be a pain in the arse but stick with it

Thread Information