Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bosch, Dewalt, or Makita?

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Can you get grinders that run off an air line? I've only seen linishers that run on air.
    check out the air supply requirements and what you have. All sorts of air tools available. from small to large.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    Has it got variable speed control? I want to try a cordless model- hate crawling under a car with a hair trigger mains versions, I want one with a variable speed pull trigger.
    Come On whats the fun of that.

Don't ya remember the old Rayrolle 3Phase metal plugs and sockets in pools of water. Yeah Baby
    I have one or two.... but haven't seen any for a while.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    shows what good advertising does, i have talked to so many people who believe that milwalkie is the best yet the only poeple they have actually talked to (if any) is the salesman, i have not yet actually managed to find anyone in a commercial environment who has got a milwalkie, most believe they are over priced and tend to go for Makita.

i am not saying milwalkie are not good i just haven't met anyone that can back that statement up.
    My son, (pro chippie) uses a bunch of Milwaukee cordless stuff. Loves it, has been solid.

As for the grinder: If you're using it an hour a day you'd go Hitachi or upper level Makita, otherwise that Makita is the best value for money in your list.

There is a good argument for buying shit by the dozen and simply chucking it when it dies. It's even a sound argument in terms of cost/benefit. But if you're capable of getting the best out of a tool then why not buy the best tool available? Or at least the best you can afford.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Can you get grinders that run off an air line? I've only seen linishers that run on air.
    Yes, but as eldog intimated they use a metric fuckload of air.

Like 40% duty from a 12cfm compressor.

There's some shit air tools around too, and the good ones will set you back more than a 'lectric option.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    My son, (pro chippie) uses a bunch of Milwaukee cordless stuff. Loves it, has been solid.

As for the grinder: If you're using it an hour a day you'd go Hitachi or upper level Makita, otherwise that Makita is the best value for money in your list.

There is a good argument for buying shit by the dozen and simply chucking it when it dies. It's even a sound argument in terms of cost/benefit. But if you're capable of getting the best out of a tool then why not buy the best tool available? Or at least the best you can afford.
    my brother runs a joinery factory. He has people whose job it is to screw cabinets together. All day, every day. He used to buy a lot of Makita stuff - last time I was in there they were using some off-brand shit I didnt recognise. He said that with the use they get they last as long as the Makitas but the buy price is about half. No brainer.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    my brother runs a joinery factory. He has people whose job it is to screw cabinets together. All day, every day. He used to buy a lot of Makita stuff - last time I was in there they were using some off-brand shit I didnt recognise. He said that with the use they get they last as long as the Makitas but the buy price is about half. No brainer.
    Half the price would still be fairly respectable gear.

Like I said, I've found the cost/benefit financial equation is fairly neutral, it's the extra capability that makes the better stuff more attractive. In some cases "better" may be simply a more rigid case, making for more accurate drill positioning control. Shit like that isn't visible to the accountant, but over the life of a tool it adds up, y'know?

In fact Makita have been quite conservative in terms of introduction of new technology, they only released brushless battery tools a couple of years ago. And one negative is that, along with most of the pro stuff it tends to be slightly bulkier. Which isn't a problem 99% of the time, but see above re "better"...

Thread Information