Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ride Forever ACC

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    After doing a tailored Gold course and further training my riding has changed, too. I have a better understanding of braking and handling which has made me smoother. I no longer scallop front tires.. Something I've done for decades.

I feel as if I'm riding slower but my average speed is possibly a bit higher.
    Smooth is the new fast.

Any speed you lose by braking into a corner is speed you have to regain coming out. So if you can learn to carry your momentum at higher speed, wider, with greater lean angle admittedly, it's speed you don't have to gain back.

The little gains are all big wins. A bloke in Dunedin used to get 320 km from a tank. Since he adopted our advice he's now getting 360 km per tank. He doesn't brake heavily and accelerate to compensate.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Smooth is the new fast.

Any speed you lose by braking into a corner is speed you have to regain coming out. So if you can learn to carry your momentum at higher speed, wider, with greater lean angle admittedly, it's speed you don't have to gain back.

The little gains are all big wins.
    Another one is increased brake pad life. My Street Triple pads got changed at 40,000 km with some meat left. I don't think it was a coincidence that I took up Roadcraft during this time!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Smooth is the new fast.

The little gains are all big wins. A bloke in Dunedin used to get 320 km from a tank. Since he adopted our advice he's now getting 360 km per tank. He doesn't brake heavily and accelerate to compensate.
    I would like to tour the country doing courses with different instructors to see what I could learn.

Sadly my employer wont see it as such a great idea.

Bike
    It was on the good
    A bloke in Dunedin used to get 320 km from a tank. Since he adopted our advice he's now getting 360 km per tank. He doesn't brake heavily and accelerate to compensate.
    I don't know about that bloke, but I am happy to forego fuel consumption for the feeling of braking hard up to a corner and then accelerating out of it. That is a significant part of what riding a bike is all about to me.

I recall my brother in law being so proud that his 200,000km Ford Ranger was still on its original brake pads. Fuck being a passenger with him.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Isnt keeping an eye out for any hazards when cornering more important than any particular line you take?
    It's just as important. Good cornering is a product of many factors.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I would like to tour the country doing courses with different instructors to see what I could learn.
    Indeed. I tell people on each course that if they did the same course with a different instructor they would learn extra stuff.

Each instructor has different strengths and priorities.

Bike
    A Japper
    It's just as important. Good cornering is a product of many factors.

Safety, plus saving fuel and brake pads, training courses just keep on giving.

Bike
    MT-10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    Just in case anyone is confused. Premiums, i.e. levies, are directly proportional to the perceived risk exposure. The higher the risk, the higher the premium. Works the same with private insurance when you insure any asset. Works the same for cars with lower safety rating vs higher safety rating (rating is of the car, not the driver).

As for anyone doing the course and expecting any reduction in levies, actually the subsidy paid to the instructor with mimimal charges to the trainee should be seen as the indirect reimbursement. We pay ACC, and they pay instructors to fund our training.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    How do you explain acc levies for rugby then?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    How do you explain acc levies for rugby then?
    Or horse riding or climbing a ladder or getting out of the shower, all of which cost ACC more than motorcycling.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Or horse riding or climbing a ladder or getting out of the shower, all of which cost ACC more than motorcycling.
    Getting out of a shower costs ACC more than motorcycle injuries? Really?

ATGATT when showering.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Getting out of a shower costs ACC more than motorcycle injuries? Really?

ATGATT when showering.
    Sure does. That and getting out of the bath, which I forgot to mention. Falling down stairs also costs ACC more than motorcycling.

DIY costs 1.2 BILLION per annum, as of 2009 in Charlie Lamb's submission to Dick, err Nick Smith.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Don't forget rugs, reportedly the number one cause of falls in the home.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Beds....

More people die in bed then anywhere else.....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    and Natural Causes! Them Causes kill more people than the rest put together! Ban 'em.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    It was actually poster 1 that wished for lower premiums for those getting a riding school certificate.
    He stated that it was a downside ... not that he wished it was possible for a reduction in levies ...

My personal view is that there should only be higher premiums for those who cause crashes
    With your head so far up your ass ... I have a fair idea what your "Personal view" would be ...

and I know you dont believe this but some of us who have not been to riding school also have a history of not causing crashes.
    And the high number of ones you have been involved in ... is just a coincidence ... ????
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information