Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ride Forever ACC

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    I think any defensive driving course is a great idea. I did one when learning to drive a car, learned heaps, still reference some of the ways the instructor taught us to think about safety.

I'm booked onto Ride Forever tomorrow, going to get wet - ugh! - but still going! It is a good opportunity to get input in less-than-ideal conditions. Very glad I got waterproofs recently

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    naaaa, life is terminal, i tell ya the longer i live the more i see people who are living life die. life is terminal

That's why it's very important to get the most out of life.

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    I think any defensive driving course is a great idea. I did one when learning to drive a car, learned heaps, still reference some of the ways the instructor taught us to think about safety.

I'm booked onto Ride Forever tomorrow, going to get wet - ugh! - but still going! It is a good opportunity to get input in less-than-ideal conditions. Very glad I got waterproofs recently

Good on you for doing the Ride Forever course, you've shown far more sense than another person on here who has a closed mind and very bizarre ideas on what constitutes safe motorcycling.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Oh God, this has turned into one of "those" threads, hasn't it?

I shall wave at motorcyclists with only my middle finger from now on - if I chose to wave at all.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    If everyone could see warning signs like you there would be no road deaths now would there?
    Exactly ...

Shit can happen at different speeds did you know?
    Those full of shit probably know the most about about shit ... I defer to your superior knowledge of the subject.

What is the warning sign for someone crossing the centre line and hitting you? If you know the answer to that question there would be no more head on collisions on the road now would there?
    If you continue to ride in the wheel track next to the center line in heavy traffic ... you can expect some of the opposing traffic to get close. Put yourself in harms way ... and harm will find you.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    When I was learning to ride I came off in the wet on a slight downhill of a bridge and I said on here if I had gone to riding school it may have saved me having that accident.
    If you had gone to a riding school ... it might have saved you from a few successive accidents you've had ...

I got a reply back saying wet road safety is not taught in riding schools which I found hard to believe.
    Spend a week riding the south islands west coast ... (it matters litytle what time of the year) and you'll learn all you need to know about riding in the rain ...

There are some tutorials on wet road riding on the net if you want to gain some knowledge in advance.
    Read them yourself ... you seem more in need of the help ...

Good luck and maybe focus more on the road than keeping up with the other riders in your group if its wet.
    Take you own advice. And start a petition to Government ... asking for ALL dogs in public to be fitted with day-glo apparel ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    If this makes any sense, shit is like accidents, generally happens after a series of events. If one were to catch the warning signs (some training, I did Defensive Driving in my youth and saved my butt heaps by being aware) you can reduce the outcome be it major consequence to a minor or an avoidable one, this is why the "near miss" thing creeping into the workplace is lowering injury and property damage, MOST people are more aware and being a little more careful for the better.

But then in that "Shit happens" statement one needs to eat first after choosing carefully, as we all know if you don't eat, or eat the wrong shit, you don't shit, or do shit the wrong way, and could expire, so to avoid an accident in the first place by keeping out of an accident scenario, or being aware of the danger signs with a little training knowledge you may well survive and enjoy the ride of life, no shit.... thought not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eFNcbltDnM
    i have five dozen oysters that need to be consumed, may need somethin to wash em down with also, that may create shit. you gonna join in and help it along.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    When I was learning to ride I came off in the wet on a slight downhill of a bridge and I said on here if I had gone to riding school it may have saved me having that accident. I got a reply back saying wet road safety is not taught in riding schools which I found hard to believe. There are some tutorials on wet road riding on the net if you want to gain some knowledge in advance. Good luck and maybe focus more on the road than keeping up with the other riders in your group if its wet.
    They must get quite a few drop out in less-than-perfect conditions as the email reminders all clearly state:

"Please attend this day regardless of the weather. YES, even if it's wet to start with.
    Our course covers safe riding practices in all conditions, adverse weather can be your best learning opportunity! If the weather is deemed unsafe for training, you will be contacted in advance."

I'll just wear appropriately warm clothing under my wets and suck it up if I'm damp. I won't melt...

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by HEsch View Post
    They must get quite a few drop out in less-than-perfect conditions as the email reminders all clearly state:

"Please attend this day regardless of the weather. YES, even if it's wet to start with.
    Our course covers safe riding practices in all conditions, adverse weather can be your best learning opportunity! If the weather is deemed unsafe for training, you will be contacted in advance."

I'll just wear appropriately warm clothing under my wets and suck it up if I'm damp. I won't melt...
    Bikes grip better in the wet than most realize. Modern tyres are very good.

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    At least they went to one...

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    I've had horses for a looong time and attended many training courses where the environment/location caused them to be on less-than-perfect behaviour - but that's what you pay for: help with the difficult stuff, not the easy stuff

So far I have kept the healthy respect for my bike and the dangers, but I love riding it, so I'd really like to keep riding it safely for many years!

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    How can training instructors control weather to teach everyone dry and wet weather riding skills? Do they need to have wet skid pads used for cars available? Its illogical to expect them to teach every type of weather riding in one training course. Next the argument would be that they don't teach heavy rain riding versus heavy rain with gale force wind riding! What about North Island roads versus South Island roads? Where does it stop? These are just plain illogical arguments that only a two year old could possibly make and expect answered reasonably. Easiest answer is to do multiple training days in different seasons and chances are you will have exposure to be instructed in a wide variety of weather conditions.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Maybe trainers should carry dog soft toys so they can randomly throw them at new riders.......

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Maybe trainers should carry dog soft toys so they can randomly throw them at new riders.......
    Same color toys or different colors? What about riding at night or with sun strike? Not to forget with planes over our heads? Man, some people are crazy. But this line of arguing is some special kind of crazy.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Or use a dog whistle to clear the path for those unlucky riders...

Thread Information