Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ride Forever ACC

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    No, you do the courses because you want to be a safer rider.
    Absolutely

As a matter of interest, my insurer (Protecta) gave me a discount for passing my IAM Advanced Test and a further discount when I passed my Observer Test. That's presumably on the basis of lower risk for those who upskill . There are several others who do this too.

Nice to see a tangible reward although the real reward is safely extending my riding time as Gremlin correctly states.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Absolutely

As a matter of interest, my insurer (Protecta) gave me a discount for passing my IAM Advanced Test and a further discount when I passed my Observer Test. That's presumably on the basis of lower risk for those who upskill . There are several others who do this too.

Nice to see a tangible reward although the real reward is safely extending my riding time as Gremlin correctly states.
    On ya guys, it's got to be the only way to travel. Learn more, become better at it, get the reward for doing so, gives the lie to it's comments earlier, if you ask me.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    ... you do the courses because you want to be a safer rider.
    Absolutely...
    Safer rider? Better rider? Or better and safer rider?

I'd also suggest, "reflective" rider... what did I do well? what do I need to think about? that was a wee surprise!

Having someone else critique your riding is never a bad thing...

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    So I've booked two of these courses in the last 5 years only to have a no show from the instructor both times without letting me know it had been cancelled due to low numbers.

Not well disposed to the concept.

As a consequence, I am after an offensive riding course and also a course on how to stop your thong from riding up when you assume a racer's crouch. Will pay in beer.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    So I've booked two of these courses in the last 5 years only to have a no show from the instructor both times without letting me know it had been cancelled due to low numbers.

Not well disposed to the concept.

As a consequence, I am after an offensive riding course and also a course on how to stop your thong from riding up when you assume a racer's crouch. Will pay in beer.
    I can guess who that was.
    Do not judge the message by the messenger. There are providers who will run the RF courses for a total of one participant. For you, Two Bald Bikers. (there are four of them and they are not all bald but hey, details)

Offensive riding? Hmmm I see examples of that on a daily basis, simple observation and a wee bit extra "I am a thorough-going prick" in your attitude and she'll be right.
    Wear a bigger thong.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    I can guess who that was.
    Do not judge the message by the messenger. There are providers who will run the RF courses for a total of one participant. For you, Two Bald Bikers. (there are four of them and they are not all bald but hey, details)

Offensive riding? Hmmm I see examples of that on a daily basis, simple observation and a wee bit extra "I am a thorough-going prick" in your attitude and she'll be right.
    Wear a bigger thong.

I shall bother the bald ones!

Thank you for the constructive answer.

Off to get a bigger thong...
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post

Off to get a bigger thong...
    Is that called arse-covering Jim?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Is that called arse-covering Jim?
    More specifically, un-arse-covering

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Two Bald Bikers. (there are four of them and they are not all bald but hey, details)
    The boy did a couple of stints with them. Seemed impressed.

He decided to indulged in a bit of impromptu cross country work, so I sent him back for come corrective tweaks.

I wonder if the sort of offense J was envisaging might not involve a slightly different approach...

Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2010 CB 1000 R, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    The boy did a couple of stints with them. Seemed impressed.

He decided to indulged in a bit of impromptu cross country work, so I sent him back for come corrective tweaks.

I enjoyed my course with them, learned LOTS
    Just ride.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    When we deliver the R4E courses we get folk to fill in a form so ACC can validate their return on investment.

At present there are over 6000 people on their database.

Those 6000 folk are about half as likely to be involved in injury crashes as the average motorcyclist.

Given that those 6000 ride in the same environment as everyone else, it looks like the courses help.

Given that all on KB are far, far awesomer than average, I think joining KB and posting a few times makes you as safe as anyone who has done a course. Tee hee.

Nah, folk tend to leave our courses having learned a few things, grown in confidence and enjoyed the day out.

It's not about picking holes in someone's riding. It's about validating good habits and offering suggestions for possible improvement.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    When we deliver the R4E courses we get folk to fill in a form so ACC can validate their return on investment.

Those 6000 folk are about half as likely to be involved in injury crashes as the average motorcyclist.

Given that those 6000 ride in the same environment as everyone else, it looks like the courses help.

Given that all on KB are far, far awesomer than average, I think joining KB and posting a few times makes you as safe as anyone who has done a course. Tee hee.

Nah, folk tend to leave our courses having learned a few things, grown in confidence and enjoyed the day out.

It's not about picking holes in someone's riding. It's about validating good habits and offering suggestions for possible improvement.
    yeah, or just reminding about getting complacent and lazy, i do tend to ride better tho not necessarily slower, than what i did before.

well worth doing.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Define average?

Consider my older classic safer than my modern steed in many respects due to riding experience and knowing the machine, pigeon holing bikes is a bit of a crock, only as safe as the rider who knows how to handle his particular bike, and that comes with riding experience to the conditions and that includes the bike.
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

I take my bike riding (and car driving) very serious....
    Because I like my life and don't want to check out prematurely.
    I would like to do these courses more often,
    Once a year or so would be ideal...
    I don't think I'm a bad rider, but doing a course like that does make you more aware/deliberate and therefor better/safer.

You can never get to much practice. ..
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    yeah, or just reminding about getting complacent and lazy, i do tend to ride better tho not necessarily slower, than what i did before.

well worth doing.
    After doing a tailored Gold course and further training my riding has changed, too. I have a better understanding of braking and handling which has made me smoother. I no longer scallop front tires.. Something I've done for decades.

I feel as if I'm riding slower but my average speed is possibly a bit higher.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information