Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ride Forever ACC

Bike
    2014 Honda NBC110 (work bike)

Ride Forever ACC

Has anyone done the Ride Forever courses supported by ACC?

I've been working for DX Mail for the past 8 or 9 months now and they've put me on two so far.

I seriously recommend these courses to riders old and new. Admittedly I get them for free but the cost is about $70 for the Silver and Gold courses.

It's always good to get reminders and that's what these courses are for.

https://www.rideforever.co.nz

I'm not affiliated with them just so you know but I will promote them for the good of all riders. The only downside of the courses is it doesn't reduce the ACC premiums on our registrations.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Yup, dunnem, well, silver and gold. Silver was a recap but a slightly personalised Gold day was probably one of the best $50 I have ever spent.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    two gold, will do another probably next year

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    I've done the Bronze course. Great training opportunity for a new rider.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    NAH - do a course then I have no excuse (officer) for my riding!

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    The reason why ACC wont reduce premiums for those who have been to riding school is because they know shit can still happen to you irrespective of whether you have been to riding school or not. Going to riding school at best is only going to teach you how to ride safely yourself and when that is mastered you still have to contend with the screw ups of others and no riding school is going to teach you how to avoid all of them. Good Luck.
    You obviously have not worked out the the ACC courses are based on Roadcraft.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    You obviously have not worked out the the ACC courses are based on Roadcraft.
    Oh no, you mean the avalanche of bullshit from the one we no longer name just continues?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    The response I gave was a possible reason and the most likely one why ACC will not reduce premiums for those who get a riding school certificate. You answer to me appears to have no relationship to my response. If you do know why ACC will not reduce premiums for those who get a riding school certificate just say exactly that.
    First, how do you qualify "riding schools". How much, what level, gets what discount. Don't bother answering, ACC will increase premiums before they decrease them.

No, you do the courses because you want to be a safer rider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

Very much so. It's also great that some insurance companies offer discounts or reimbursement, plus other benefits, to customers who complete a Ride Forever course.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT07
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I couldn't agree more with this

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    The response I gave was a possible reason and the most likely one why ACC will not reduce premiums for those who get a riding school certificate. You answer to me appears to have no relationship to my response. If you do know why ACC will not reduce premiums for those who get a riding school certificate just say exactly that.
    Who gives a fat rat's arse if premiums are reduced or not.

Riding Schools/courses like this one teach how to ride well - a practical Defensive Driving course, which is in the interests of all riders and their health/safety.

Anyone taking responsibility for their own actions will accept that these courses are a good thing. At least some of our ridiculous levies are being put to good use!

If I have to pay ACC through the nose because my chosen hobby is a risky one because of (mostly) other idiots on the road, so be it.

That's the choice I make every time I start the bike.

I've been riding for 40+ years, with only some minor offs at low speeds (all my fault) many years ago.

Even after all these years I know that every ride is different and could have a negative outcome, despite my experience and the input of Ride Forever affiliated courses or similar.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    It was actually poster 1 that wished for lower premiums for those getting a riding school certificate. My personal view is that there should only be higher premiums for those who cause
    crashes and I know you dont believe this but some of us who have not been to riding school also have a history of not causing crashes.
    ACC is a no-fault insurance scheme where the levies are imposed on the sections of society judged to be most at risk. Because it's no-fault scheme, your view is not applicable

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Did the gold on the weekend, reckon it was the best $50 spent on riding in a long, long time.

Good on the OP for posting this.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Yes did the gold in New plymouth..

Probably on same day as op actually.

Great to focus on your roadcraft for the day.
    Everybody should do one every now and again.

Bloody bloody...the bitch that shall not be named on here anymore doesn't seem to shut up easy..
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Just in case anyone is confused. Premiums, i.e. levies, are directly proportional to the perceived risk exposure. The higher the risk, the higher the premium. Works the same with private insurance when you insure any asset. Works the same for cars with lower safety rating vs higher safety rating (rating is of the car, not the driver).

As for anyone doing the course and expecting any reduction in levies, actually the subsidy paid to the instructor with mimimal charges to the trainee should be seen as the indirect reimbursement. We pay ACC, and they pay instructors to fund our training.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Thread Information