Thread: Getting started

Bike
    Ninja 250, CR125, XR200

Getting started

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting into racing. I'm 18 at the moment, been riding dirt bikes for a few years and moved onto the street a couple of months ago. I'm riding a ninja 250 and having a lot of fun on the open roads. No track days as of yet but will surely be happening sometime soon. I'm not trying to sound cocky here but I feel like I'm picking it up pretty quickly. Definitely a lot more to learn though. I understand I need to join a club and get a license, but I'm looking for recommendations on which bikes to start with. Budget is fairly limited, so a low entry cost is essential. I'm hoping this will become a long term interest, so a class that would open a few doors would be nice. I've looked into the hyosung cup but I'm not too sure about anything else. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for any help.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    start with a trackday and make sure you enjoy it. thats step one.

youll also get a chance to meet / talk with those who are present that already race.

May be possible to use your bike as both race and road bike, and just switch thing over between racing and road riding, if low cost is an issue for you.

More info can be found at mnz.co.nz
    Theres a tab towards the top of the page that says /manual of motorcycle sport - road', start by reading that.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Moto HD and ART ride days at Hampton downs are a good place to start as is joining your local club - for you will be Auckland Motorcycle Club - www.amcc.org.nz. They Hyo cup or the Junior class on the 250 Ninja is a great place to start. Though trying to race your road bike will get painful very quickly if you do use the Ninja try to swap back and forth as is trying to ride to the circuit to race.

Tim's advice is good about the MNZ site etc too.

The Hyo cup is run out of the great guys at Spectrum motorcycles at Barrys Point rd. See Ken over there also. Bikes come up a lot on Trademe and are bullet proof, as is the Ninja. The 250 production and Lightweight production class (which is for the 300's R3 and KTM) were the biggest fields at the National champs and very close racing.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Moto HD and ART ride days at Hampton downs are a good place to start as is joining your local club - for you will be Auckland Motorcycle Club - www.amcc.org.nz. They Hyo cup or the Junior class on the 250 Ninja is a great place to start. Though trying to race your road bike will get painful very quickly if you do use the Ninja try to swap back and forth as is trying to ride to the circuit to race.

Tim's advice is good about the MNZ site etc too.

The Hyo cup is run out of the great guys at Spectrum motorcycles at Barrys Point rd. See Ken over there also. Bikes come up a lot on Trademe and are bullet proof, as is the Ninja. The 250 production and Lightweight production class (which is for the 300's R3 and KTM) were the biggest fields at the National champs and very close racing.
    Are the ART days going to carry on?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    moped
    Hi YeahGday.....There is a Thread already posted on This, try page 3 "Getting Started in Racing" by Tigertim20.

Bike
    Meads speed 650R, Kawasaki S2a
    Hey there,

Its worth doing a track day for sure, not to see if you like (you will like it) but to meet those people and learn a little bit of track stuff. You will also see how fast you are not, guys who peddle those 250s on race day peddle them very well.

A dedicated track bike is ideal if your going to stay with it but you defo can convert the roady into race trim for a weekend.

There is some really good info on the Victoria M/C club site found here : http://vicclub.co.nz/ go to the racing section and getting started into racing.
    MNZ gives you the National levelled rules, club level can be different in some areas.

Simply put the smaller your first race bikeis, the more racing you will be able to afford to do - 250 is perfect here in NZ with classes all over the country to compete

If you can find someone to mentor you, someone you know then thats normally the best way to start, so your not shooting in the blind. If you cant find one sing out.

All the best

Chappy
    Chappy

Come see what the fuss is about....................http://www.californiasuperbikeschool.co.nz/

Thread Information