Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre warmers overheating between races

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what's the point of that, it's only going to be of any use if someone watches it and turns them off.
    Was meaning to check the temp gauge, not the warmers.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp2183 View Post
    Really? And no issues obviously? the 80 degree is best idea obviously not the rule there?

Yep. We put the blanket over the warmers to get them super hot on cold days.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Your the fucken idiot in order to become a registered electrician you have to know about resistance as part of electrical theory. Its your electrician who is the wanker and I bet they are not registered if they dont know what resistance is. So if you employ them to do electrical work on your house and it burns down you will not have insurance cover.
    Jesus you're hard work...
    Of course every electrician knows all about resistance you dumb cunt it's learnt on the first day, then they learn about volts and current and a bunch of other stuff AND then how to mix them all together with CONTROL! And CONTROL is what Grumph and I KNOW is required in this case!

So don't worry your poxy little head about it, the big boys have got it sorted

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I assumed from poser 1 they had no electrical knowledge and felt they would be best to contact one. If he has no electrical knowledge he would still be best to have an electrician do what you recommend too.
    Assumption is one of your problems along with spouting things you dont know about.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Yep. We put the blanket over the warmers to get them super hot on cold days.
    You are trying to heat the rim as well to help the tyre hold heat then?

Ive not played with warmers.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    You are trying to heat the rim as well to help the tyre hold heat then?

Ive not played with warmers.
    Yip. That's how you know they're up to temp so you can set your pressures too.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i'd be very surprised if they were legal to sell in nz without a temperature control, or overtemp cutout....
    Likely just a fixed resistance like an electric blanket tested to a calculated delivery of 80deg. If any fail safe installed its most likely a one shot thermal micro temp similar to the ones used in fan heaters. Once tripped no more go.

Im tending towards the thermo used to measure the tires is the issue.

Saying that if OP is not happy with them I could use them.
    You can buy a plug in adapter that will give you one off every 15mins which will give you lower temperatures.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    From Capit web site:

The first tyrewarmers without thermostat inside. Thanks a special cable we can fix temperature to 85°C homogeneus. Our all competitors using thermostat ON/OFF inside: THERMOSTAT IS OLD WAY TO KEEP YOUR TYREWARMERS WARM. TNT is the future!Nonconducting internal areas dire resistant in pure aranidic fibre (high energy saving: only 200 Watt instead of 400 each one)
    Perfect water resistance in extreme conditions
    More abrasion resistance for the tyres
    Light check control
    External cable in ever-aging gum, water resistant, oil resistant and fuel resistant, competitors use PVC gum.

looks nice
    They also sell controllers which can set the temp etc. I would expect a dead band of a few degrees but not upto 100

Is it a product for the NZ voltage market?

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    You can buy a plug in adapter that will give you one ... every 15mins
    Really only every 15 min?

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    About the only thing here I can comment on...

if you were using point and shoot radiation thermometers to check the tyre pressures, you should be alright if you're using the right emissivity value. There's a good table here:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/em...nts-d_447.html

I'd make it about 0.91 or so. Shoot with hot things like the engine, headers, muffler etc out of the background and you should be OK.

Make sure that you fill the thermometer's field of view with nothing but tyre, the side of the gun should have a set of circles showing target diameter vs distance. Apologies if I'm telling you stuff you're already familiar with.

If unsure, a good cross-check would be a digital meat thermometer, the pointy bit laid flat in a tyre groove if possible and with cotton wool taped over the top of it for insulation against colder air.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Could always talk to the guys who make them or import them. Kevin G at Race supplies is the importer for NZ and great to work with. far more sensible than listening to Cassina who comes under the heading of "consutant". The term consultant as once being described to me as someone who knows all about sex, but is a virgin....

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    Could always talk to the guys who make them or import them. Kevin G at Race supplies is the importer for NZ and great to work with. far more sensible than listening to Cassina who comes under the heading of "consutant". The term consultant as once being described to me as someone who knows all about sex, but is a virgin....
    Ay7e!, Wot? Do something that might actually get you a proper, sensible answer?????????? HERE on KB? R u Knutz?
    Hey guys, I know, do what malcy25 has just suggested, all the guess work gone and no idiots listened too, spouting thier usual BS.
    Good work malcy25.
    Bit radical, but hey, it's worth a crack, aye Nigel?
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    My preferred option is stick them on a shelve and get some that are adjustable. Last set I bought were $320 at my door.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    No one in reply to my posts said what I suggested would not work and if you read my first post again I did say that there would be others that know both about tyre warmers and electrical work who may give different suggestions which is what has happened. So you are really an odd ball to think I was giving false information with my replies.
    Quite correct, but lets face it, by providing an answer that was as relevant as saying "light the fuse sticking out the side of that Saturn 5 rocket" to someone who said "I'm having a problem putting a man on the moon". . So, where did I say your information was false? Anyone can suggest an irrelevant solution to a problem, the trick is knowing when not to.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental Trousers View Post
    My preferred option is stick them on a shelve and get some that are adjustable. Last set I bought were $320 at my door.
    Got both Holroyds and Capits, neither of which are temp adjustable. Both have some form of temp control process going on as I see them going on and off at various times. Have to admit, the adjustability of a flasher set would just be one more variable that I'd end ignoring! They seem to work at a level that brings they tyres to a nice "brie cheese" setting....and I'm always early out the garage so I lose a bit of temp. so on the high side good for me. Plus as some less than charitable souls would say, the tyres would come back cooler than I started from my riding!

Thread Information