Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tyre warmers overheating between races

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    why would I waste my time responding?
    I think most around here would prefer you didn't.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Is there any point in running them on sport tyres for track days? I guess just doing a couple of slower laps to warm them up will do or does the number of heat cycles really matter?

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Is there any point in running them on sport tyres for track days? I guess just doing a couple of slower laps to warm them up will do or does the number of heat cycles really matter?
    $64k question. On the bike I used at track days for years, I never did when I ran Q2 Dunlops for the 4 years I used those tyres (and still don't now using D212GP Pro 3 front and GP Racer NTEC rear). Generally as I understand it, their operating temperatures are lower as compared to slicks and DOT race tyres. I know Dave Freeman who has raced on Conti's for years will in winter go to a road compound as it's easier to get and keep to their operating temp and he's no slouch.

Seen hundreds of guys over the years on sports style tyres using say 30/30 psi F/R and a lap or 2 warm up with no issues.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    $64k question. On the bike I used at track days for years, I never did when I ran Q2 Dunlops for the 4 years I used those tyres (and still don't now using D212GP Pro 3 front and GP Racer NTEC rear). Generally as I understand it, their operating temperatures are lower as compared to slicks and DOT race tyres. I know Dave Freeman who has raced on Conti's for years will in winter go to a road compound as it's easier to get and keep to their operating temp and he's no slouch.

Seen hundreds of guys over the years on sports style tyres using say 30/30 psi F/R and a lap or 2 warm up with no issues.
    Cheers, I would only bother if there was a big benefit in it.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Cheers, I would only bother if there was a big benefit in it.
    There is. The danger of crashing is reduced when you go out on the racetrack.

Bike
    Nowt any more
    All tyres need to attain a certain warm temperature [that temperature is dependent on the tyre construction and compound] in order to be able to deform in the carcass and in the tread so as to grip the road.
    The sooner that can happen, the better will the tyre work [that is without considering the pressure component of the equation].
    If the tyre is too cold and stressed too much too early, it will either not grip and slide over the road surface leading to a slide or a fall, or it can start to tear, or at best it can just feel really bad. That is without considering that the track you are at may have only one or two corners in one direction so that the tyre surface may not be optimally heated after 2 laps or whatever, leading to a false sense of security.
    So, the answer really is and other question: Do you want to go fast straightaway on your trackdays, or do you want to risk falling down early on tyres that are too cold for the conditions in which you are riding?
    I think that warmers are a good idea for all riders at trackdays, especially those on big powerful bikes.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyb View Post
    I think that warmers are a good idea for all riders at trackdays, especially those on big powerful bikes.
    Undoubtedly correct. But ironically the big powerful bikes will warm a tyre faster once on track.
    IMO most benefit is seen with the lighter bikes which could be considered to be overtyred for their weight and power. Without warmers, getting those up to temp can take much longer than expected.
    There's also a surprising lack of awareness of how a particular track can affect things. Levels is a good example - 540 odd degrees turning to the left before the first righthander...That's caught out some very experienced riders.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyb View Post
    All tyres need to attain a certain warm temperature [that temperature is dependent on the tyre construction and compound] in order to be able to deform in the carcass and in the tread so as to grip the road.
    The sooner that can happen, the better will the tyre work [that is without considering the pressure component of the equation].
    If the tyre is too cold and stressed too much too early, it will either not grip and slide over the road surface leading to a slide or a fall, or it can start to tear, or at best it can just feel really bad. That is without considering that the track you are at may have only one or two corners in one direction so that the tyre surface may not be optimally heated after 2 laps or whatever, leading to a false sense of security.
    So, the answer really is and other question: Do you want to go fast straightaway on your trackdays, or do you want to risk falling down early on tyres that are too cold for the conditions in which you are riding?
    Ok, yeah I see your point. Next track day will be my first on the CBR1k but that probably wont be until summer now. I dont tend to go out hard in the first couple of laps anyway but would rather not go down.

So are the temps needed on a road going tyre the same as a slick? i presume they are?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Ok, yeah I see your point. Next track day will be my first on the CBR1k but that probably wont be until summer now. I dont tend to go out hard in the first couple of laps anyway but would rather not go down.

So are the temps needed on a road going tyre the same as a slick? i presume they are?
    Two or three laps are not enough to warm a tyre properly from ambient temperature. That's race rubber like.

Sports tyres would be close though.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Two or three laps are not enough to warm a tyre properly from ambient temperature. That's race rubber like.

Sports tyres would be close though.
    Im on Bridgestone RS10s.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Im on Bridgestone RS10s.
    If those are supposed to compete with supercorsas or racetecs, I'd want to use warmers.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    If those are supposed to compete with supercorsas or racetecs, I'd want to use warmers.
    i guess so, they came on the bike.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    i guess so, they came on the bike.
    RS10's are the most road orientated of the that range. The R10 etc (ie no S for street) are more in line the Supercorsas etc.

I'm using those on my 300 Ninja (without warmers due to MNZ class restrictions)

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    RS10's are the most road orientated of the that range. The R10 etc (ie no S for street) are more in line the Supercorsas etc.

I'm using those on my 300 Ninja (without warmers due to MNZ class restrictions)
    I know little about tyres at this level apart from I have read the rear RS10 have a lower height than other brands so you may need to allow for that in the chassis. Not like I can as I cant shim the shock.

So when I burn this pair up, Supercorsas would be the go?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    I know little about tyres at this level apart from I have read the rear RS10 have a lower height than other brands so you may need to allow for that in the chassis. Not like I can as I cant shim the shock.

So when I burn this pair up, Supercorsas would be the go?
    So lower the front.

Thread Information