Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre warmers overheating between races

Bike
    '08 R6

Tyre warmers overheating between races

So I've recently started measuring tyre temperature on the warmers, and have found that my Capit warmers are heating my tyres to 100 degrees at times.

The model I use does not use a thermostat and should heat to 80 only, but supposedly leaving them on too long overheats the tyres. The problem is that between races can be a few hours. Surely the warmers should be able to keep the tyres at a steady 80 degrees?

And what about track days? I was out yesterday and found that between sessions they were heating up to or just above 100. I even put on my spare warmers and they did the same.

Am I missing something? Is there some technique that I'm not aware of that stops this? Is 100 actually ok? Any ideas?
    Arborist available - Will trade tree work services for bike parts or servicing! PM me...

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp2183 View Post
    So I've recently started measuring tyre temperature on the warmers, and have found that my Capit warmers are heating my tyres to 100 degrees at times.

The model I use does not use a thermostat and should heat to 80 only, but supposedly leaving them on too long overheats the tyres. The problem is that between races can be a few hours. Surely the warmers should be able to keep the tyres at a steady 80 degrees?

And what about track days? I was out yesterday and found that between sessions they were heating up to or just above 100. I even put on my spare warmers and they did the same.

Am I missing something? Is there some technique that I'm not aware of that stops this? Is 100 actually ok? Any ideas?
    they must have a thremostat somewhere or they would heat to infinity, what model is it, do you have the handbook?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    What you need is a second temperature gauge.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    If there was no thermostat they would not heat to infinity due to the resistance in them. If they did heat to infinity it would result in the warmers themselves melting which would indicate a short circuit/fault in the warmers.
    Don't bandy words with a certified electrician...

If there is not a thermostat in them somewhere, it's possible to wire in a thermal cutout which you can tuck under the fabric.
    They're available to my knowledge from people who make heaters - Argus in ChCh for example - and probably wholesalers too.
    I put an inline heater which had no thermostat in my van water hose. An 18 deg C thermal cutout hoseclipped to the top hose and wired in worked well.

Bike
    '08 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Yeah that was my first thought but after testing it with three different gauges I'm pretty confident it isn't that. They were infrared ones though, maybe not as accurate?

And yes, they definitely have no thermostat. All over the promo info for Capit warmers.
    Arborist available - Will trade tree work services for bike parts or servicing! PM me...

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ha

cassinas a fucken idiot.
    DON'T talk to an electrician about resisters and shit cos he will think you're a wanker...

Grumpf knows what he's talking about, use a thermal cutout, or a thermostat (which is just another type of thermal cutout but adjustable, which might be handy for different tyres)

You can get tyre warmers with thermostats in them already but twice the price! Sounds like your ones work like a heated towel rail in your house, basically unregulated except by the size of the element. So it doesn't get too hot by itself but it gets hotter on a warm day when there's no wind at the track, or if you insulate it better with extra stuff like, um, towels. And yes, it will keep getting hotter if you leave it on longer. Not to infinity, but yeah, too hot.

So in theory if you keep measuring the temp you could regulate it yourself by switching it on and off manually... and try not to forget about it...

Bike
    suzuki
    i'd be very surprised if they were legal to sell in nz without a temperature control, or overtemp cutout....

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i'd be very surprised if they were legal to sell in nz without a temperature control, or overtemp cutout....
    I don't think the authorities would give a fuck about a few sets of el cheapo tire warmers.

The guy above you is right though, heated towel racks (maybe not all of them) just go and go until you turn them off.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Your the fucken idiot in order to become a registered electrician you have to know about resistance as part of electrical theory. Its your electrician who is the wanker and I bet they are not registered if they dont know what resistance is. So if you employ them to do electrical work on your house and it burns down you will not have insurance cover.
    All you've proved here - once again - is that you will pick an argument with qualified people when you know nothing of the subject.

Resist the temptation to post - please.

Bike
    '08 R6
    Was fully on track for a moment there!

Sounds like any warmer with no thermostat needs to be managed by the rider. Will need to start doing that.

To add data, yes on cold days it does not overheat, if a really hot day I have issues.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp2183 View Post
    Was fully on track for a moment there!

Sounds like any warmer with no thermostat needs to be managed by the rider. Will need to start doing that.

To add data, yes on cold days it does not overheat, if a really hot day I have issues.
    We get the back hoop so hot on Chop's superbike that ya can't hold onto the rim.

Bike
    '08 R6
    We get the back hoop so hot on Chop's superbike that ya can't hold onto the rim.
    Really? And no issues obviously? the 80 degree is best idea obviously not the rule there?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    I don't think the authorities would give a fuck about a few sets of el cheapo tire warmers.

The guy above you is right though, heated towel racks (maybe not all of them) just go and go until you turn them off.
    no but the coroner would, fact is everything sold in nz must have an SDOC whther mains wired or plugged in, heated towel rails have a limited output, tyre warmers do but they're designed to heat a lot of cold rubber but once hot they will keep heating unless a limitation is put on it, dangerous really

Bike
    suzuki
    Your the fucken idiot in order to become a registered electrician you have to know about resistance as part of electrical theory. Its your electrician who is the wanker and I bet they are not registered if they dont know what resistance is. So if you employ them to do electrical work on your house and it burns down you will not have insurance cover.
    registered for 35 years and why waste my time detailing shit that would go over their head, i was trying to state it in basic terms, most people here already take an hour and a half to watch sixty minutes....

Bike
    suzuki
    what's the point of that, it's only going to be of any use if someone watches it and turns them off.

Thread Information