Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over 80,000 kms last 24 months

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Wow great effort. Convinces me to get a CBR1000RR.
    I'm not really a brand type but I personally never liked Honda in the day. I liked Suzuki's mostly. But I started to research and brought the Blade having never ridden one after weeks of trolling through the net. Never regretted it. Previously RF900 excellent bike a friend still ride it. Ducati Multi strada (the original one) ugly unreliable peace of crap (don't get me started).

The Blade has started within a few turns every time I use it which is all the time. It sits at work in the rain often (all this 'always garaged' crap is only important if you have older Italian electronics).

Just a great bike. If not already adjusted your body gets use to them soon enough (it can take perseverance initially for some). I never clean it (shop has at times) other than the chain but if I cleaned it up right now I bet it would look fairly mint.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by madbikeboy View Post
    80,000 Km's only on the track?

Did you stop anywhere?
    Bad phrasing sorry. I've never ridden any bike other than the Blade on any track.

Bike
    If you service it, and have mechanical sympathy, it will run basically forever.

My Hayabusa has 60,000 k's - I've seen them with 200,000 miles, still on the original motor.

Good effort to the OP.
    I had a BMW F650 as my get back into bikes machine. I think it had about 80,000 to start and 130,000 when I traded it (still going needed some maintenance only). I head of them in Aussie with 300,000+ still going tour bikes. Mostly I'd like to credit the Japanese so great engineering and style. But nod to BMW for some of its mills. Seems most have court up now. Even Ducati I hear?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    Unless the shock oil was in the first 50,000kms it has never been done. The shocks where setup by Dave Moss (the expert) once probably around 20,000kms at one of my earliest track days. I asked for lots of long distance but on the stiffer side and with the track also in mind. That made an amazing difference and still does.

I'm aware the fork oil probably should be done. Moss said the issue is we adapt and don't notice the degraded state of the bike. I just today had it around Taupo track and it was great. I've only ever ridden it on a track. Perhaps 20 times or more now. Medium or slow groups only.
    I hired him for the day at a MotoTT day in Taupo, bike was epic after.

i did my forks on my 08 CBR1k during the week. about 1.5 hours to do it with some other faffing about. Bike has 30ks on it and the old fluid was sludge. Dave says every 10k for fork fluid and 20k for shock. Im sending my shock to RT in a week or so to be done and revalved.

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    I had a BMW F650 as my get back into bikes machine. I think it had about 80,000 to start and 130,000 when I traded it (still going needed some maintenance only). I head of them in Aussie with 300,000+ still going tour bikes. Mostly I'd like to credit the Japanese so great engineering and style. But nod to BMW for some of its mills. Seems most have court up now. Even Ducati I hear?
    I met an old dude in Kalgorlie who had more than a million k's on his early 80's BMW whateverthehellitwas. A million k's. He'd been riding between Kal and Adelaide for almost 30 years. I thought of so many questions I should have asked him, like hasn't he heard of planes, or why live in Adelaide, or is his ass made of steel. At the time I was thoroughly impressed, speechless even - aside from punctures, the thing had never let him down once.
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post

i did my forks on my 08 CBR1k during the week. about 1.5 hours to do it with some other faffing about. Bike has 30ks on it and the old fluid was sludge. Dave says every 10k for fork fluid and 20k for shock. Im sending my shock to RT in a week or so to be done and revalved.
    I know I have OCD. People might call that a problem, but I think most of them are sloppy. But, my OCD means I service this way:

Bike:
    Oil change every 3,000 - 5,000 k's depending on the use. Every track day or race day means an oil and filter change.
    Forks: Every second service. New seals are cheap. I can do a GSXR1000 during a track day briefing. Ask me how I know.
    Shock: 20,000 k's. Frigging hate doing shocks, with my old thou, I had two, and I'd rotate them with a mate who'd service one for me.
    Head set bearings. I seem to run through them, it's a GSXR wheelie thing.
    Air filter. Checked every 3-5,000 k's.
    Chain - depending on bike, but regular clean and dry lube. On my old thou, they didn't last very long, but the Hayabusa seems to give it an easy time.

I do a major strip (meaning wheels and fairings off, swingarm pivot etc) every second service. Down to changing the fluids (brake, anti-freeze etc).

I use a Snap On torque wrench. I buy oil filters (OEM) 10 at a time. I don't let anyone touch my bikes with tools in their hand. Come to think of it, I don't let anyone touch my bikes without tools in their hands either... I have a bike that hasn't had any hands other than mine touch it since 1990 something.

I have never had a major mechanical issue with any Japanese bike I've ever owned, (not counting fucking useless two strokes).
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    A
    I know I have OCD. People might call that a problem, but I think most of them are sloppy. But, my OCD means I service this way:

Bike:
    Oil change every 3,000 - 5,000 k's depending on the use. Every track day or race day means an oil and filter change.
    Forks: Every second service. New seals are cheap. I can do a GSXR1000 during a track day briefing. Ask me how I know.
    Shock: 20,000 k's. Frigging hate doing shocks, with my old thou, I had two, and I'd rotate them with a mate who'd service one for me.
    Chain - depending on bike, but regular clean and dry lube. On my old thou, they didn't last very long, but the Hayabusa seems to give it an easy time.

I do a major strip (meaning wheels and fairings off, swingarm pivot etc) every second service. Down to changing the fluids (brake, anti-freeze etc).

I use a Snap On torque wrench. I buy oil filters (OEM) 10 at a time. I don't let anyone touch my bikes with tools in their hand. Come to think of it, I don't let anyone touch my bikes without tools in their hands either... I have a bike that hasn't had any hands other than mine touch it since 1990 something.

I have never had a major mechanical issue with any Japanese bike I've ever owned, (not counting fucking useless two strokes).
    That's not really OCD, that's just being thorough. If you have the knowledge/time/place etc, nothing wrong with what you've described above. Hey, at least you're not leaving a whole lot of things to luck aye? Makes me feel guilty that my fork oil is almost 10,000 kms old now...

To the OP, 80k in 2 years on a Blade is rather keen. Was at first thinking why choose a thou sporty for mostly commuting, but then the track day outings explained it. One bike does the lot for you. Not too many big bikes like yours see such big distances clocked on them. Good stuff

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    That's not really OCD, that's just being thorough. If you have the knowledge/time/place etc, nothing wrong with what you've described above. Hey, at least you're not leaving a whole lot of things to luck aye? Makes me feel guilty that my fork oil is almost 10,000 kms old now...

To the OP, 80k in 2 years on a Blade is rather keen. Was at first thinking why choose a thou sporty for mostly commuting, but then the track day outings explained it. One bike does the lot for you. Not too many big bikes like yours see such big distances clocked on them. Good stuff
    I can't leave anything to chance, I've already used eight lives and all the good juju. It's not that hard a job to replace the fork juice, and it's good to have the bike apart, it gives you time to check everything else while it's on the stands.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Bike:

Thats what I consider normal servicing.

Bike
    '01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries
    Nice Ks mate.

THE FOUR RULES OF EXPLORING THIS AMAZING COUNTRY OF NZ
    RIDE SAFE, RIDE HARD, RIDE FREE

and try not sound so route 51 american brudda

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer

Bike:

A man after my own heart.
    Last edited by Gremlin; 29th April 2017 at 23:04. Reason: Fixed HTML

Bike
    I met an old dude in Kalgorlie who had more than a million k's on his early 80's BMW whateverthehellitwas. A million k's. He'd been riding between Kal and Adelaide for almost 30 years. I thought of so many questions I should have asked him, like hasn't he heard of planes, or why live in Adelaide, or is his ass made of steel. At the time I was thoroughly impressed, speechless even - aside from punctures, the thing had never let him down once.
    Wow a million K's. I doubt I'll ever get there let alone on one epic bike. There is a BMW I see in the traffic with the rego MILL. It seems so totally appropriate gives me a smile every time.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post

Gods mine must be bad. I'll get that sorted also. Funny it feels ok even on the track but I've nothing to compare and have probably just adapted. Should gain me some time! That would be sweet giving my friend has come back after some months following an off and is starting to gain on me again!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post

I never actually did a track day till I was over 20,000kms and that was really a friend on a 250 (and now an R1) suggested it and we've been at it since. My RF900 almost killed me by cutting out (dead stick) in the 3rd lane (worst lane) going up the hill out of Wellington. That scared me, quite a bit (I dove in front of a truck to get off the road and not be pinned to lane 3 in heavy traffic). I rode a GSXR600 which just seemed to be begging me to nail it all the time. I road a GSXR750 and that was much better (not so in the rev's at 120). Then I started to read and the Blade just won out in terms of position (for an RR) and reliability (all online reputation). Finally it had more mid power (better street) than the Kawasaki (which was more aggressive all over). It was the fuel stats that ended it mind, the 1000's use similar gas to the 600's.

In traffic from 6th at 100 you can just wind it on and it will accelerate. That is great in the commute. The RF was quite leaned forward so I was pretty use to it. Never even test road it. Got a REALLY good deal form CycleSpot (and I don't do motormart that is a long boring story). Never regretted it, loved it from the first ride - still love riding it. Soon I will give it up for the mighty Franken-zuki! With very little refinement and bucket loads of a different kind of fun riding.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    that's some serious riding. Here was me all pleased with myself turning 20,000kms on my (not any longer) brand new bike a full month before the first year's rego is up. Looks like I have some catching up to do

My wife has a Honda, apart from cleaning and basic servicing we do nothing to it, the bike just seems to keep on ticking, never misses a beat.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Thread Information