Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over 80,000 kms last 24 months

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    that's some serious riding. Here was me all pleased with myself turning 20,000kms on my (not any longer) brand new bike a full month before the first year's rego is up. Looks like I have some catching up to do

My wife has a Honda, apart from cleaning and basic servicing we do nothing to it, the bike just seems to keep on ticking, never misses a beat.

Totally decent KM's. I ride to work 5 days a week (most weeks) and it is 75 kms each way. Do plenty of track days some of which are riding to Taupo (which is 300 kms). I don't tend to do epic rides like many do (might do some next summer). If mind I've not ridden for say 3 days I really start getting the itch.

Commuting through winter is not that much fun either. It is just starting to get to that time now but this year I'm going to get more science involved like heated jacket, hotties and wind breaker so should be a bit nicer. I just get sick of cold wet roads but I never really tire of riding, just the conditions.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    Totally decent KM's. I ride to work 5 days a week (most weeks) and it is 75 kms each way. Do plenty of track days some of which are riding to Taupo (which is 300 kms). I don't tend to do epic rides like many do (might do some next summer). If mind I've not ridden for say 3 days I really start getting the itch.

Commuting through winter is not that much fun either. It is just starting to get to that time now but this year I'm going to get more science involved like heated jacket, hotties and wind breaker so should be a bit nicer. I just get sick of cold wet roads but I never really tire of riding, just the conditions.
    Lol maybe I need to stop working from home for half the week and get the km count going.
    Hear you on gear. Heated grips and hand guards are a no brainer. Goretex boots and Klim pants keep the lower half warm and dry. A good waterproof overjacket keeps the rain out and keeps the wind out, makes a world of difference with heat conservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    A

Hot grips, thicker (winter) gloves, a windproof/water proof over-jacket is a wonderful addition to leathers. When I lived in Wellington I rode to work most days, around 60 km round trip. Helped that I had to get changed into a work uniform, had a full locker room to hang bike gear etc. Probably the worst part was putting damp gloves on for a ride home, so solved that by having several pairs... Never thought much of hot grips, but once I got them, each subsequent bike I've fitted up with them.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Ive ridden my Blade to work a couple of times. Its a cold bike to ride. I wont do that often now through winter and keep commuting on the mighty 1250. Big screen, handguards etc.

I also struggle to restrain myself on it......

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    Lol maybe I need to stop working from home for half the week and get the km count going.
    Hear you on gear. Heated grips and hand guards are a no brainer. Goretex boots and Klim pants keep the lower half warm and dry. A good waterproof overjacket keeps the rain out and keeps the wind out, makes a world of difference with heat conservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wondered about hand guards but don't see any that look like they'd go on the blades clip-ons. Would be quite an ironic thing for that bike but then it has heated grips (which I will never be without commuting and will put on my Katana once it is ready). I've drystar gear and a big plastic rain overall. Like a human sized condom. The overall is a pain so I wear a back pack every day (streamlined light and now just part of my armor) which has only that in it. If it rains or is really cold I wear that.

Wet gloves are a pain. I've decent arctic gloves but they are a few years old now a second pair sounds like the ticket once it really sets in this year. Shame because they where bloody uncomfortable for the first few 1000 kms (big heavy gloves use to make my hands numb).

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Ive ridden my Blade to work a couple of times. Its a cold bike to ride. I wont do that often now through winter and keep commuting on the mighty 1250. Big screen, handguards etc.

I also struggle to restrain myself on it......
    The upsides of the Blade are they are great in the wind (I've ridden a few things Blades just down blow about much). Also great in the loads of filtering I have to do (I squeeze through gaps daily that not many care for bound to get me in trouble at some point). at 60 minutes or so each way you dont want to give up much in the filter (I reach out and pull both mirrors in and out all the time to get more room).

Soon mind I will be on a 1982 Katana with various modernised bits. That is not as good in the wind (it is more upright given the different seat). I'll be looking to do something with the mirrors (not being able to pull them in really effects the filtering confidence). A hottie is a great addition but I'll give a friends plug in suite a go and if it is good I'll buy one (biking the expense just never ends!).

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Hot grips, thicker (winter) gloves, a windproof/water proof over-jacket is a wonderful addition to leathers. When I lived in Wellington I rode to work most days, around 60 km round trip. Helped that I had to get changed into a work uniform, had a full locker room to hang bike gear etc. Probably the worst part was putting damp gloves on for a ride home, so solved that by having several pairs... Never thought much of hot grips, but once I got them, each subsequent bike I've fitted up with them.
    We are mostly bike nuts at work so we organised lockers and I leave various sets of close and extra warm gear there. I answered the second gloves in the wrong response but that is a really good idea. I've killed plenty of boots (generally have to change them at the end of summer given they leak). My gloves are good but old now so a second pair well oiled/waxed and those old ones for wet spares makes sense. Good gear costs but it is so worth it when you are getting cold 20 minutes from home and you know you'd be worse without it.

I did some winters really hard initially and I so remember just fantasizing about the fire going when I get home. Much as I love to ride nothing takes the fun out of it like being cold and wet. Also the endless wet roads gets to me if it just rains for ages having to ride so much more sensibly, adding precious minutes to the miserable end of the journey. I'm smarter now and tend to be warmer.

I have people saying when I get gas now "you must be cold" and I think mate the cold has not got far yet. It gets WAY colder than it has so far this year. Frosty mornings... Brrr.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    The upsides of the Blade are they are great in the wind (I've ridden a few things Blades just down blow about much). Also great in the loads of filtering I have to do (I squeeze through gaps daily that not many care for bound to get me in trouble at some point). at 60 minutes or so each way you dont want to give up much in the filter (I reach out and pull both mirrors in and out all the time to get more room).

Soon mind I will be on a 1982 Katana with various modernised bits. That is not as good in the wind (it is more upright given the different seat). I'll be looking to do something with the mirrors (not being able to pull them in really effects the filtering confidence). A hottie is a great addition but I'll give a friends plug in suite a go and if it is good I'll buy one (biking the expense just never ends!).
    I ride to work on a Zuki 1250fa and have no problem filtering. But my mirrors are higher than cars so I just roll through. I get close with my bars.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    After almost 11 years of commuting almost exclusively by bike I've gone the other way, and for the last 3 weeks I've had a company car.

It's quite amazing, it rains, you wipe it away (even has rain sensing wipers that are only half stupid), it gets cold or warm, you adjust the aircon. Of course you're sitting in traffic, so there is a radio thing where you can constantly change it to find a song you like. When you're bored at traffic lights, you can use the car to delete your emails!

Crazy I tell ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    After almost 11 years of commuting almost exclusively by bike I've gone the other way, and for the last 3 weeks I've had a company car.

It's quite amazing, it rains, you wipe it away (even has rain sensing wipers that are only half stupid), it gets cold or warm, you adjust the aircon. Of course you're sitting in traffic, so there is a radio thing where you can constantly change it to find a song you like. When you're bored at traffic lights, you can use the car to delete your emails!

Crazy I tell ya!

You lost me at sitting in traffic. Still 11 years has to be admired. From out my way I'd be sitting in traffic for ever the parking and gas would be expensive and I'd likely have to walk a reasonable way at times in the rain. I load songs and change them on my Pack Talk device side of the helmet. You can skip forward and back. Got my trusty finger wiper. You have me on the cold but mostly I've that sorted (we will see when it gets REALLY cold).

11 years for me would be about 440,000 kms assuming I can continue to not get pasted. I'd be half way to a million KM's (adding in my previous kms).

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    I ride to work on a Zuki 1250fa and have no problem filtering. But my mirrors are higher than cars so I just roll through. I get close with my bars.
    I like the idea of eletric ones that fold in with some easy to reach button. That would be nice as mine always seem right in the way. Perhaps it is a clip on thing, not so tall mirrors. Yeah I'm not so keen on normal bars, all that sensible riding position...

Bike

now at 93,000

93,000 and the Fireblade is running fine. It is kind of rattly at idle until you pull in the clutch (I did kind of beat that clutching which is a slipper at the track many times by changing down harshly due to no idea and really should have been on the breaks harder). It works fine and its not that load but its not like new.

I rode the new 2017 blade and its just not that much better (everything was so tight like new which was nice). Naturally form the shop the suspension was all over the place and horrible compared to my Dave Moss setup state of fantastic (new stiffer fork oil recently also). The new one is pretty slick, more ducati like in the impression I got. Still what is my tradein at 93k I got that bike for a BARGIN new (they are dearer near new still now) and the new new one is like $28k so naa I'll ride her into the dust eventually.

In the two years and 5 months from new I've been through a few wheel bearings, loads of tires, break pads, two chains and one set of sprockets, fluids, a battery, a great many oil changes (nice and regular always well within service period) about 25 track days (in slower groups I'm not fast) and its just started every time and run perfectly (I get water in the tank and cup of meths it at least once per winter).

I will keep riding it through this season on the track and road. I'm leaving the clutch till my mechanic says it needs looking at.
    Estimated average of 105km per day over 880 days (two years five months) and 93,000 (actually 93,275).

Blades, if your back and wrists can take it they are a great commuter!

Bike

Now at 100,000

Blade turns over 100,000 kms on the way home today. I got a photo of it at 99999 and 100000. Clutch has a bit more rattle at idle but other than that it runs fine with no issues at all so far.

Never did valve clearances after so much advice that they generally don't need it. Such a great bike! I will probably put another 40,000 on it next year.

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike
    Good effort mate! Who says Blades aren't a commuter bike eh.
    I've had a few Honda's myself, all super reliable except my mid eighties VF750 which lunched it's cam chain tensioners at 20K.
    The only bike I've owned that saw more than 100K on the clock was a 1977 Ducati 900SD.
    And they say Ducati's aren't reliable!

Bike
    2012 Fireblade
    Blade turns over 100,000 kms on the way home today. I got a photo of it at 99999 and 100000. Clutch has a bit more rattle at idle but other than that it runs fine with no issues at all so far.

Never did valve clearances after so much advice that they generally don't need it. Such a great bike! I will probably put another 40,000 on it next year.
    Nice one - I traded my 92500 km blade just over a year ago (still running as sweet as ever) Got a 2012 version with 15000 km (actually it was exactly 15001km)
    Only on 34500 now - I think thats my lowest annual kms in the last 39 years!!!
    I better make up for it this year!!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Thread Information