Thread: Pinlock antifog inserts

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA

Pinlock antifog inserts

I have a Shoei GT Air that I am happy with. However I have noticed that, over time, the Pinlock antifog insert comes away from the inner face of the visor.

It can be relatively easily pushed back, but I usually don't notice it until I'm on the motorway and fogging up at 100km/h +.

It seems to be caused by the repeated raising and lowering of the visor (I guess the flex in the visor from the movement separates the Pinlock silicone seal from the inside of the visor).

Is there a more permanent/effective way of preventing this? Short of replacing the visor and Pinlock insert at $160 a pop, that is!!!

Cheers

Bike
    2009, Suzuki, Bandit 1250

Adjusting antifog insert

Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    I have a Shoei GT Air that I am happy with. However I have noticed that, over time, the Pinlock antifog insert comes away from the inner face of the visor.

It can be relatively easily pushed back, but I usually don't notice it until I'm on the motorway and fogging up at 100km/h +.

It seems to be caused by the repeated raising and lowering of the visor (I guess the flex in the visor from the movement separates the Pinlock silicone seal from the inside of the visor).

Is there a more permanent/effective way of preventing this? Short of replacing the visor and Pinlock insert at $160 a pop, that is!!!

Cheers

Getting it to sit in the right place is most of the battle, I found it had quite large gaps when it looked like it was properly placed. Have a go at lifting it enough to move a little, and see if you can get it to sit on the visor in a place where you have a seal right around the insert. It was much more sensitive to positioning than I expected.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    The little pegs are stepped so you can tighten it up if you need to.

Bike
    2017 Triumph Tiger XCA
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    The little pegs are stepped so you can tighten it up if you need to.
    Thanks for that - I recall the guy in the shop at Motomail doing something similar last year with my old visor - will have a look at the old visor (never throw it away - you might need it one day) and see if I can work out the method...

Bike
    R1200GSA
    I have the same lid.
    I find it useful to take the pinlock off and wash the visor and pinlock from time to time.
    Use a gentle soap, rinse thoroughly and let it dry thoroughly.
    Helps a lot
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I found that the pinlocks will do this and get a bit worse as they get older. Like everything really. But would not be without.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT
    As Spokes said, the pins are actually cams. They have a little slot for a screwwdriver, rotate and you will see; they should push the insert into the visor, seating it securely.
    Do us all a favour, by bringing yourself up to speed, before pulling onto the motorway.

Bike
    KTM
    Just ride with your visor up? Saves heaps of Cash and you look cool like you're hella stoned every morning from the wind in your eyes

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by manxkiwi View Post
    As Spokes said, the pins are actually cams. They have a little slot for a screwwdriver, rotate and you will see; they should push the insert into the visor, seating it securely.
    Slot for screwdriver is usually on the outside of the visor. Just be careful turning them as they can get brittle and break.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    Just ride with your visor up? Saves heaps of Cash and you look cool like you're hella stoned every morning from the wind in your eyes
    Damn Bell helmet for creating this fogging business since 1963.
    '' i'd let you touch me.''

Sorry fulla but I am spoken for.

Bike
    2010 CB 1000 R, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Blog Entries
    Is the second gen pinlock? My XR1100 Qwest did the same. A newer pinlock design came out. the cause is the bevel on top of the visor presses against the top edge of the pinlock. The next version of pinlock was 2mm lower profile at the top. Since I went to the next version of pinlock, it stopped occurring.

We have 2 Shoie Qwests, and 4 visors (2 clear 2 tinted) and since getting the 2nd gen pinlock's its been fine.
    They have a more 'heaxagonial' sort of outer edge look than the gen 1 pinlock (hard to describe but the gen 1 is rounder at the mounting pins)

Andrew at TSS put me onto the improvement after I bitched about how shit Shoei pinlocks were....

Also the screw at the side it sort of tensions the fit, again Andrew sorts for me as I am mechanically useless but once they are fitted proper in the shop on my behalf they last the lifespan of the visor (I get about 12 months out of each visor missus gets way longer, i ride daily she not so often)
    Just ride.

Bike
    Suzuki M109R
    I have a Shoei GT Air ..it's a great lid.

Thread Information