Thread: 79 cb250n steering yoke bearings

Bike
    cb250n

79 cb250n steering yoke bearings

Brought a 79 cb250n superdream as a bobber project steering bearings were almost gone does anyone know how they work and how many bearings were in there

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Not sure but...
    In my old Honda it is a cup and cone setup with individual steel balls. There is a cup pressed into the frame top and bottom of the stem and cones on the stem itself. Each cup and cone is held apart by the balls. Clean them up and replace any that are pitted or galled. I've never had to replace the cups and cones but you can buy balls at your local bearing shop. Hopefully you've still got some of the old balls to check the size. As far as number is concerned either get a manual or alternatively try to fit as many in as you can comfortably, and then REMOVE one, and that's your number. There may be a different number of balls in the top and bottom. Remember to use heaps of grease when you re-assemble, pack in as much as you can, preferably something that resists washing out like "boat trailer grease" or Moly grease used in wheel bearings.

Weeeellll that's how it is in my GL anyway...

Can't see my old manual for a cb125t I used to own... ages ago...

Bike
    suzuki
    if it's a bobber just cut off a sqaure of exhaust wrap and pack it in tightly instead of the balls, that'll give you more 'street cred'

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    or maybe weld it up and then ride it with your feet out to the sides like casinna...

Thread Information