Thread: First bike

Bike
    N/A

First bike

Sorry for bringing up another 'first bike' question, although you are looking on the 'wannabe and newbie' section so it's kind of expected!

My friend is selling his '13 GN125 for $1000 and has around 13k on it. I'm debating on buying that for my first bike for a few months then selling it and buying a slightly more powerful Aprilia STX150 new for $3k + ORC. The thing that's stopping me from buying the STX first is that I don't want to take the bike from the dealership to test ride on the road (would they even let me as I'm on a learners?) until I've had some practise riding bikes. I wouldn't feel comfortable straight after getting my learners, in riding by bike downtown on my way home from the dealership.

Any ideas? Maybe potential other bikes?

Thanks for reading

Bike
    2002, Kawasaki KDX 200
    I learnt on a GN250, found it to be a great learner, got burnt by the stator wearing out though, approx $750 to fix. My favourite learner legal and suitable bike was the KLX250s, bonus with that bike was you can take it offroad too, ie round the Waimak.

e.g. http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1309660913.htm

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    save yourself a grand and get the shit you want.
    i'd only take up riding GNs after you've got some kind of competency on a 600+. they are astoundingly shit. and dangerous in town for n00bs.

if you're too shit to ride it from the dealership, then get a close friend and ally to do it for you and practice your phat loops in a carpark until you've got them nailed then you'll get heaps of bitches.

Bike
    bandit
    Yeah. GNs a crap and not a good bike to learn on - yeah I know people will tell you it was their first bike - but they are crap.

Most people I know who learnt on a GN said they took several weeks to learn all over again when the moved to a different bike.

Avoid the GN.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Buy the GN and keep it as a town bike. When your ready buy a learner approved 600 as well.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    A
    Comes down to personal choice.

My first bike was the GN250, worked ok but moving to a sportier bike meant an added learning curve. The GN125 is kinda under powered really, so maybe another used 250 is the go. Buy something second hand is what I'd suggest, for the first bike won't be appealing to you for very long anyway. Spend the money leftover on decent riding kit.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jack85 View Post
    Sorry for bringing up another 'first bike' question, although you are looking on the 'wannabe and newbie' section so it's kind of expected!

My friend is selling his '13 GN125 for $1000 and has around 13k on it. I'm debating on buying that for my first bike for a few months then selling it and buying a slightly more powerful Aprilia STX150 new for $3k + ORC. The thing that's stopping me from buying the STX first is that I don't want to take the bike from the dealership to test ride on the road (would they even let me as I'm on a learners?) until I've had some practise riding bikes. I wouldn't feel comfortable straight after getting my learners, in riding by bike downtown on my way home from the dealership.

Any ideas? Maybe potential other bikes?

Thanks for reading
    Have you ridden at all?
    If not. Buy that bloody cheap, 2013 125cc Suzuki GN and be happy.Keep it clean and tidy, learn how to maintain it, hell pull it apart, you can you know!Think of how you'd like it to look in 12 months time when you come to hock it off, you'll probably still get a Grand for it then.
    If you simply rode the wheels off it you'd be getting your $1000.00 worth out of it and some.
    It's not a fast bike, it's reltively reliable.
    It'll get you where you are going.
    You can learn all of the things that make motorcycling such good fun without throwing hughe amounts of money on fairings and or accessories (read, indicators,mirrors etc) that cost narms an leggings.
    This is a no brainer.
    OP, please take absolutely no notice of the chump who suggested that all riders drop their first bike.
    She knows not of what it is speaking of and should have been shot at birth.
    Go get it, get out there , take your time and before you know it, you'll be wanting a bit more Omph under the seat and a bit more throttle response, without having beocme cannon fodder for some truck or bus, because you've leanrt to ride a LITTLE Under Powered motorbike and Learn't how to use it! to your best advantage.
    ENJOY THE THING.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I've run out of rep but the above post is bang on. Buy the GN, polish it religiously and ride it 17 hours a day. After 2 weeks advertise it for sale, $1400 ono.

If your not short changed in the leg department I also agree with Hads. Trail bikes allow you to learn a lot more skills than a road bike and will take you to amazing places off the tar seal. IT 490's are LAM's approved for your next steed. Er, that's a joke. Good IT's are really hard to find.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2010 CB 1000 R, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Blog Entries
    Get the GN. As Caseye says. 12 months move up a bike.... next thing you know 34 years has passed your on a VFR1200
    Just ride.

Bike
    N/A
    Wow thanks a lot for all of the replies. Very different views on weather to buy the GN or not. I think for the money, and it's my first bike so dropping it is a high chance, I will get the GN and build my skills on it before buying a more powerful bike.

Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Have you ridden at all?
    If not. Buy that bloody cheap, 2013 125cc Suzuki GN and be happy.Keep it clean and tidy, learn how to maintain it, hell pull it apart, you can you know!Think of how you'd like it to look in 12 months time when you come to hock it off, you'll probably still get a Grand for it then.
    If you simply rode the wheels off it you'd be getting your $1000.00 worth out of it and some.
    It's not a fast bike, it's reltively reliable.
    It'll get you where you are going.
    You can learn all of the things that make motorcycling such good fun without throwing hughe amounts of money on fairings and or accessories (read, indicators,mirrors etc) that cost narms an leggings.
    This is a no brainer.
    OP, please take absolutely no notice of the chump who suggested that all riders drop their first bike.
    She knows not of what it is speaking of and should have been shot at birth.
    Go get it, get out there , take your time and before you know it, you'll be wanting a bit more Omph under the seat and a bit more throttle response, without having beocme cannon fodder for some truck or bus, because you've leanrt to ride a LITTLE Under Powered motorbike and Learn't how to use it! to your best advantage.
    ENJOY THE THING.
    My friend taught me to ride when I was travelling in Bangladesh. I foolishly rented some Baja 150 for $10 per day and rode it all over in traffic without any training. Looking back it was a reckless decision to rent it but I was feeling confident I could ride it after only a few attempts on a bike. I had no problems riding it either.

Thread Information