Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendation for vtwin engine rebuild in Christchurch area

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Try doing the work yourself. As these cold winter evenings draw in you'll need something to occupy yourself with after dinner. I like to tear engines apart in the lounge next to the fire. But always be careful of flammable items, wives can become particularly incendiary, and make sure you always wipe your boots carefully on the hearth rug so you don't track grease through the house...

Bike
    motocompo
    You could pull the plugs out & get the pistons on the downstroke & push on top of them with a screwdriver. if the piston drops at all, the big end is stuffed.
    Been done many times at the track.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...it all sounds like a terribly written short story with no particular ending...throw the fucking thing away if you can't do it yourself and buy another piece of cheap old shit that runs...throwing money away is not a good hobby...

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    throwing money away is not a good hobby...
    time you spent a night with me at calendar girls methinks, you'll soon learn otherwise...

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    time you spent a night with me at calendar girls methinks, you'll soon learn otherwise...

...I'll need to spend a bit of time hanging around upside down before I hung out anywhere with you...

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Lias View Post
    I was under the impression (probably wrong) that it was one of those "pull the engine out of the bike, peel the engine apart layer by layer until you get to the bottom" type of things.
    you can pull the engine out of it a happy weekend spent pottering. You own a smartphone to take photos to avoid the inevitable "What the fuck's that for and where did it come from?" moments, spend $50 at Bunnings or wherever for some storage, carefully label and store bits.

Now you have an engine on a bench. If you just take that into someone it is easier because it fits in the back of your wagon. If you decide to pull it to bits (and hey, what have you got to lose? its fucked anyways) then crack on. Another $50 for storage containers and a marker pen, take some more photos and buy or download a manual.

Bada boom, bada bing. Then you can get Mr Grumph to look at it and tell you its not worth persevering.

Then put it on tardme with the classic "It was running when stored, my commitments mean I can't finish this project" or "Going overseas" or "great basis for cafe racer/bratstyle/tracker build" type ad, ask $300 less than a good running one and watch the punters roll in.

Gwan you know you wanna.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...it all sounds like a terribly written short story with no particular ending...throw the fucking thing away if you can't do it yourself and buy another piece of cheap old shit that runs...throwing money away is not a good hobby...
    BAHAHAHAAHHA says the man with how many motorbikes?

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    BAHAHAHAAHHA says the man with how many motorbikes?
    ...only two out of nine bikes in my shed are not running at the moment...it's not a bad average for me...I was offering sage advice from one who has chucked more than I care at things just because I thought I should...fucking dumb on reflection...could'a, would'a, should'a type stuff...

Bike
    A Cage
    Thanks for the advice guys :-)

I was talking to one of the guys at work who's a bit bike mad, and he HAS rebuilt one of his own engines before, and is willing to help me try and learn how to pull shit apart myself.

Project time I guess lol.

Bike
    Exercycle
    My work here is done......

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Lias View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys :-)

I was talking to one of the guys at work who's a bit bike mad, and he HAS rebuilt one of his own engines before, and is willing to help me try and learn how to pull shit apart myself.

Project time I guess lol.
    keep us posted, this will be interesting...

Bike
    motocompo
    Bear in mind, a bike is easier to sell in one piece not running, than in five fish bins not running.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Bear in mind, a bike is easier to sell in one piece not running, than in five fish bins not running.
    plus they want to keep the fucking fish bins and they're like $10 each!

Thread Information