Thread: First pair of pants

Bike
    N/A

First pair of pants

I'm looking to buy my first pair of riding pants and unsure what to go for. I live in Christchurch so would need some that are available locally.

I like Kevlar jeans as they go with a lot more of my clothes and are more casual although I would only want a pair with full proteca ion, rather than Kevlar in only certain places.

I am also open to the idea of textile pants although I have no idea what kind of pants to get, so I'm open to all suggestions. I will be buying a pair this weekend hopefully so if I could get some brand/models you recommend that would be great.

Thanks

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    I have ridden for years and years and always wore leathers
    Until textiles came out
    Textiles are light and comfortable but don't look as cool
    I use textile for everyday riding and touring because then if it rains I just keep going while mates with jeans are stopping to put on their wets
    Then if it keeps on raining I still keep on riding while mates with leathers are stopping too to put on their wets
    Wets are a pain in the arse
    Go for something waterproof
    (that you can fit a pair of thermals underneath )

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Kevlar Jeans vs Textiles vs Leather

In the eyes of many riders kevlar jeans are a “fashion accessory” as they provide minimal protection to the rider. Others will admit that kevlar jeans offer some protection but it is of the lowest order. You want kevlar jeans to offer the maximum protection and still be fashionable enough to wear with your other clothes - a tall order. Kevlar jeans that offer maximum protection will not look like ordinary jeans, the kevlar ones will have bumps and bulges in places that no ordinary self-respecting jean would ever have. You can augment the protection offered by kevlar jeans by wearing kevlar long johns. They will provide more protection against road rash but not against possible fractures.

Textile pants generally offer more protection than kevlar jeans but are not as good as leather. Textile pants have several major advantages over kevlar jeans - reasonable waterproof, much warmer in winter and, generally, can be zipped to your jacket. Being able to zip your jacket and pants together provides better protection in the event of an “off” and also provides better weather protection - no nasty draughts up the back. Good textile pants provide middle of the road protection [no pun intended] whilst allowing you to wear them all year round. Removing the winter liner that most have you can wear them in summer or wear them over the top of a pair of ordinary jeans. When the winter liner is in the pants you’ll probably not be able to wear ordinary jeans under them - well, I can’t - but you could wear a pair of compression longs or thermals if you need to. Textiles are reasonable waterproof - many would argue they are shower-proof and light rain-proof. When they do begin to leak it’s your crotch that will get wet first.

Leather pants are considered the best for protection. They are not a fashion statement. They will offer reasonable water proof-ness but once wet will require careful drying to avoid damage to the leather and stitching. They will provide some winter warmth but often require thermals under them and they often have “breathing panels” just where you don’t want cold winter breezes blowing. Also, many leather pants are designed for summer wearing as they have perforated panels - brilliant in summer but not so on a winter’s morning.

Another aspect to consider is where is most of your riding? If commuting in urban and city then textiles are probably a better bet than jeans, especially as we’re heading into winter - you can by some kevlar jeans as we head into summer, if you decide you ant them. If your riding involves open road then definitely textiles as a minimum level of protection but leathers would be preferable.

There was quite some discussion round this earlier this year Rider jeans or leather pantswhich would be worth reading as well.

Whatever you decide to buy, buy the very best you can afford, take the advice of the shop - they should know something - and make sure the pants fit well, so when you’re riding the knee protection moving hasn’t moved about and not going to do its job if needed. “Best fit” is probably the most important consideration with any bike gear.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    I wear Kevlar jeans for around town stuff, going to work, parties etc. but leather on any rides. First European have RST jeans, Casbolts have Bullitt, and that Leather motorbike gear shop in Ferry road have Dragon. I think the Bullitt have the least style but that's me.

As for textile vs leather it depends how cool you are to start with, leather is definitely cooler than textile, you don't want to look like a grandpa. One of the above poster mention some leathers having ventilation, full racing leathers do for the most part but for the street I think two piece are better, my two piece doesn't have draughty bits and being able to take the jacket off is quite nice on hot days and the bottoms are easier to have a pee in, well not in but you get the idea.

So in summary, jeans for convenience, leather for rides and style, textile if you want to look like a dork. :-)

Cheers

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    I bought a set of leathers purely because they were well priced (second hand but hardly used on trademe). Then got a set of textiles. Prefer the leathers - they fit and feel better overall. Just no good in the rain...

I don't care what I look like, would rather be protected. My boyfriend only has a jacket (and helmet) - no gloves, no pants - I think that's silly of him. I figure I'm riding a bike, so what if I look the part... I will be taking work clothes in my bag and getting changed when I get there, once I start taking my bike to work (I'm on the countdown to no more bus commute!).

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Have a look at Avon City. They always have a sales rack with all sorts of bargains.

Budget are good too, in Wilsons Road.

I use what suits. I have 4 textile suits, and whatever the conditions I can stay warm and dry.

It's not always the way, but the more I pay, the better the protection I get. You don't have to go mad, but think about

Abrasion
    Impact
    Comfort
    Weather resistance.

Leather is best for abrasion resistance. That's why it's required in races. But hey, normally you're not racing, so the other factors matter.

How cool it all looks actually matters too. It's important to feel good about your gear, or you'll not always wear it.

Just my musings.

Bike
    I currently wear goretex bib over kevlar jeans. Bit of a pain but still easier to hang up when wet at work. Also surprisingly warm. -2 this morning and toasty.

I feel and am more protected in leathers, but for the lazy factor, if commuting, kev jeans are great.

I haven't found proper waterproof textiles yet. The seam at the crutch always let's water in after a few weeks.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    I haven't found proper waterproof textiles yet. The seam at the crutch always let's water in after a few weeks.
    Amen to this. the fact that most of the motorcycle garment manufacturing industry can't get this basic necessity right is frankly appalling in this day and age. And that they still feel entitled to advertise these pants as '100%' waterproof is shameful.

There, way too many instances of wet crotch now vented.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    Amen to this. the fact that most of the motorcycle garment manufacturing industry can't get this basic necessity right is frankly appalling in this day and age. And that they still feel entitled to advertise these pants as '100%' waterproof is shameful.

There, way too many instances of wet crotch now vented.
    Is this right? I always assumed they did as advertised; if this is the case I am glad I haven't ventured into them.

Cheers

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    Is this right? I always assumed they did as advertised; if this is the case I am glad I haven't ventured into them.

Cheers
    Guess I can only go by my own experience really, but anecdotally it seems to be the prevailing opinion that waterproof textile pants always leak in the crotch eventually in any decent amount of rain.

Personally I have had three pairs of Rev'it textile pants, all started to let in rain after the third or fourth decent rain they went through (which may have been a longish time, given that despite what most people think it doesn't actually rain all that often in Auckland - not proper rain, anyway).

I've also had dedicated rain pants from Rjays, Rev'it and Oxford, all of which have leaked in the crotch after a few decent falls, they probably did last longer than the textiles due to not being worn as often (so less strain on the seams).

Also had a rain suit (one of the sweaty pvc ones) from Dririder which leaked in the crotch - at least this one got replaced under warranty.

For all I know if I spent a lot more I might not have the same problem.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    2007 Honda VTR250
    I just bought a pair of Draggin' K-Legs from that Leather Direct store in Bush Inn mall. I think they're full kevlar but they're just leggings (long johns), so no armour. I've been wearing them the past few days and they're pretty comfortable, not cold even in the mornings and wore them all day at the office and wasn't too warm or anything. The guy just got a shipment in so he'll probably still have some to try out. Easy to chuck on underneath jeans or slacks.

Bike
    2012 VFR800
    Leather pants provides good protection from road rash but it is a bit hot.

Bike
    red one & a blue one
    You can't you wrong with textile overtrou to keep you warm in winter....

Some kevlar jeans for the summer (cheap on-line from USA).

A rain suit for the wet.... (tucks away nice & small under the seat)... (200% waterproof)

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Supersize Me

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I started out wearing wearing leather and a rain suit, which was an arse to put on let alone slightly wet leather. I wised up soon enough and changed to textile gear. I bought a Dri Rider rain jacket ($99 from memory) which is 100% waterproof and keep out the wind chill. I also have a leather/textile jacket which I used for summer riding along with kevlar jeans, but I would wear normal jeans underneath.

You would have to spend a large amount of money for waterproof textile gear but there is no real need to do so when you can buy something like this http://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/rjtj0014bk.aspx to accompany your http://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/repasand2.aspx and http://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/repasand2.aspx

I have use Revit as an example.

This is what I have and used. https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...cket-and-pants

Thread Information