Thread: Hi all

Bike
    none right now

Hi all

Hi everyone

I've lurked on the forums here on and off for a couple years, following people's builds and banter. Finally decided to go for my licence and get on a bike legit. I have some experience riding a friend's 400 down country roads, and used to play with mudders back in the day as a farm kid, but have increasingly felt the urge to lose a couple wheels and sink myself into the world of road bikes.

I am currently looking at FXR 150's. Reasons being: very light. cheap. looks wise is okay. seems to have a decent rep around the forums here. and 20hp seems like a decent amount to get started with. i am planning to hold onto this bike for a minimum of 1 year no matter how boring it gets as i have a bit of a twitchy wrist and want to nail my riding skills before i add a few cylinders..

I think i know roughly what to look for ; oil leaks, tyres, play in throttle/brakes, rust. Are there any other warning signs a non-mechanic can pick up easily? I am fairly mechanically minded but have no practical experience.

one I am looking at now is around the 50xxx km mark. is this getting on for a 99 fxr150? do kms really matter if i plan to give it plenty of TLC?

Another question: I plan to use it as a commuter to start with. Do I really need to worry about expensive safety gear if i am driving less than 20-30kms from home on max 80kmh roads? cash is tight and i'd like to make sure i get a decent bike first . I have some wet weather gears already. Obviously a decent helmet is a must.

Other than that I look forward to some banter and getting a feel for the NZ bike community . Would love to try road racing events down the line ..

Cheers

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Welcome. Here's the FXR for you. Keep the ute for taking it out to the track.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1314953745.htm

Bike
    none right now
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    Welcome. Here's the FXR for you. Keep the ute for taking it out to the track.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1314953745.htm
    I wish! I need something road legal. Good luck with your sale though.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Quote Originally Posted by pwr2w8 View Post
    Good luck with your sale though.

...I wish it was mine, I wouldn't be selling it, if it was...

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Whatever else you want to spend money on, make sure your gear is good enough to do the job.
    You get the best gear you can and plan on not coming off. If you do though, having spent heaps on your gear and everything being equal, you'll be looking for another bike, not a new arm or leg.
    Bike sounds OK, don't skimp on the gear and -please don't think you can commute all dy everyday without having drama's. You will!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Welcome. FXR is a good little bike, but it is little and a bit slow.

Get the best gear you can. Think of it this way, run as fast as you can, jump as high as you can and land on your knees. Now think about doing this on the road at 50kph. I would get a cheaper bike and better gear.

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Ditto NZSpokes above, buy the best gear, period.

Regardless of the type of motorcycle, the first couple of years are a steep learning curve - and you have a statistically significant probability of having some whoopsies. If you're hard enough to slide down the road at 50 odd KPH, then don't worry about gear. On the other hand, if you're covered in fur and skin like the rest of the mammals on the planet, then some gear is a great idea.

Good gear is worth it. Buy secondhand jacket and pants - only good brands. Gloves are essential. Fit is more important than fashion.

Buy the very best fitting, brand new helmet possible. Phil at Techmoto or the guys at CycleTreads can help you out. Don't buy a $99 open face helmet.

Finally, buy a good back protector.

As for the bike - buy something that you can afford to insure, and will put up with getting dropped occasionally.

Last thing - once you get the bike, enrol in a course like Ridesafe, or contact Gremlin on this site. Training + gear = a long lifetime of the best adventures you will ever have.
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries

I've lurked on the forums here on and off for a couple years.
    And you still joined?

Other than that I look forward to some banter.
    Some call it that. Other call it a hate crime.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    "Adequate" gear is going to be better than street clothes, but you'll find its shortcomings out pretty quickly if you commute in all weathers. Plus if you use it enough, you'll need to replace it after six months or a year, whereas good gear will not only keep you more comfortable, it will last a lot longer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bike
    a shit load
    Imo, i would get something with no fairings so that when you drop it it won't be a couple hundred bucks down the drain...

A gn250 would be a good option not to fast and will run forever
    Maybe a VTR250 if you are feeling brave

Thread Information