Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Transitioning? I mean using a transitions face shield

Bike
    Street Triple R

Anyone Transitioning? I mean using a transitions face shield

I wear glasses and last night I had to ride home (again) with a dark visor at night because I had to drink heavily after work (its the rule).

I do have a clear visor for the Shoei but then I have to wear sunglasses under it which isnt great - there's a pattern effect because of the polarisation.

There is a thing called a transitions faceshield which looks like the answer: clear at night and dark during the sunshine.

But I'd want some feedback before buying because its very expensive, and I had a pair of transitions lenses in a pair of glasses which didnt work that well (admittedly in the early days of the technology) - they were never really clear and never really dark - hence I have prescription sunglasses and ordinary glasses.

Your thoughts callers?

http://www.sportrider.com/shoei-tran...ield-sr-tested
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    R100GSPD
    transition lenses are triggered by UV i beleive and thats why they arent very good for driving cars,because a lot of uv is cut by windsheilds etc.I wonder how much UV is produced by lighting...would a blast of light from a pair of HIDS darken the visor quickly enough to give some glare protction or not,and then if they did would they clear quickly again to see the upcoming manhole cover?
    Didnt know you could get them.Hope you get some real feedback.A pinlocked transistion visor ...cool

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, if your glasses have any sort of coating, they can produce all manner of weird halos and colours.

I carry two visors with me - but I use Arai's which are a 20 second job to pull a visor and replace it. One is a clear, the other is darker than a cheeky darkie tinted.

I haven't found the transitions cope fast enough with light source at any rate.

I like carrying a spare at any rate. In NZ you get stones, and in Australia you get kangaroos and insects as big as kangaroos.
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    A
    Have had a close look at the Shoei transitions visor. To me it doesn't change quickly enough and it doesn't go dark enough. The high price doesn't help of course.

For me I've got a Shoei Neotec with integrated sunvisor, works for me. Updated to a Shoei GT-Air which also has integrated sunvisor, this after having a good look at the transitions visor. I'll look at it again when the now new helmet comes up for replacement, I'm picking the transitions technology will keep improving and the price will become more acceptable as well I'd hope.

Curious to hear of any longer term users of any of the transitions visors, and their experiences.

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Yeah glasses are a bloody nuisance. I use transition lenses too and as you say they are never particularly dark, so I wonder how good the visor would really be? I bought a new helmet a little while ago that has an extra tinted visor that flicks down inside the proper visor. I thought it was a great idea and would solve all the problems, and it did for a while. But now that it's about a year old and both visors are just starting to get slightly marked and scratched I now find myself looking through three layers of slightly damaged plastic...
    One thing though: my glasses also have an anti-glare coating (crizal coating?) and that REALLY works, takes all the halos out. Of the glasses anyway

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Bell offer a transformer face shield that has been getting very good reviews. Photochromatic is the term they use.

Sport Bike Track Gear often have deals on them ..... (USA)

Bike
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    I have had the Bell transformer for a year. For me it has failed. My eye sight is good and when light conditions are not perfect the screen goes very dark. The black shinny seal looks like wet road in late sunny afternoons and in cloudy weather I have to pick the visor up because visability goes weird. Shoei may have better quality but don't waste your time with Bell. Two visors is the safest option.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    I have had the Bell transformer for a year. For me it has failed. My eye sight is good and when light conditions are not perfect the screen goes very dark. The black shinny seal looks like wet road in late sunny afternoons and in cloudy weather I have to pick the visor up because visability goes weird. Shoei may have better quality but don't waste your time with Bell. Two visors is the safest option.
    Well, just for the record. Wifey and I both bought Bells with the new fangled Photochromatic lenses about 2 years ago.
    Best piece of kit I've/we've ever owned.
    They work excpetionally well, day time and night time.
    Niether of us need to wear glasses, so there is no disturbance there.
    But seriously, they've worked consistently well all this time and are showing absolutely no signs of giving uo yet.
    I use nothing else and not having to carry two visors is a bloody great thing.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    Well, just for the record. Wifey and I.
    Wait, what?

You have a Bandit. And you have a wife?
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Lets get real fella, the lens were a misadventure that need development. They don't work. Do not buy them. If I took my wife riding we wouldn't be married for long. Just saying!!

Bike
    Big money wasters
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I wear glasses and last night I had to ride home (again) with a dark visor at night because I had to drink heavily after work (its the rule).

I do have a clear visor for the Shoei but then I have to wear sunglasses under it which isnt great - there's a pattern effect because of the polarisation.

There is a thing called a transitions faceshield which looks like the answer: clear at night and dark during the sunshine.

But I'd want some feedback before buying because its very expensive, and I had a pair of transitions lenses in a pair of glasses which didnt work that well (admittedly in the early days of the technology) - they were never really clear and never really dark - hence I have prescription sunglasses and ordinary glasses.

Your thoughts callers?

http://www.sportrider.com/shoei-tran...ield-sr-tested
    Try leaving the bike at work after drinking heavily and catch a bus ,cab or catch a ride with a sober driver , a lot safer and cheaper in the long run.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
    Lets get real fella, the lens were a misadventure that need development. They don't work. Do not buy them. If I took my wife riding we wouldn't be married for long. Just saying!!
    I think you are missing the point. My wife rides her own bike,
    I ride mine. We both own identical Bell Lids with Photochromatic lense's. Moved from two identical Bells previous to these ones. Which had simply outlived their usefulness after about 5 years.
    Neithe of us have had any problems with our helmets/lense's.
    They darken when the sun gets up, to the point where you can ride directly into the sun and you can still see where you're going.Don't look directly at the sun, that will still hurt.Takes about 1-2 seconds to transition.Night time is different they simply get lighter the darker it gets.
    We both ride day ansd night when required and at night there is no extra starring or other form of distoprtion that might affect vision.
    Simnply telling it like it is.
    I've spoken with othe peolole who have the same lense's and their experiences are similar to ours.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGSER View Post
    Try leaving the bike at work after drinking heavily and catch a bus ,cab or catch a ride with a sober driver , a lot safer and cheaper in the long run.
    Nah, he gets mate's rates.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWGSER View Post
    pish posh, where's your sense of adventure?.

(*drinking heavily for me these days is two 330ml stubbies in two hours)
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    [QUOTE=caseye;1131045250]I think you are missing the point.

No, I wanted the ultimate lense, listened to the sales pitch and it failed. I have just done a 5000 km trip through the S.I and back at a good pace. That is a good field test. Every riding condition you could imagine. Visor worked well 50% of the time and the other 50% it was a liability. I will take it back to tell them. I don't want my money back but I am sick of dubious reviews of big name gear.

Thread Information