Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Transitioning? I mean using a transitions face shield

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    As usual there are many camps, they work, they don't work, those that have tried them and people who have not. I have a Bell Star Carbon with transition shield and an AGV with a drop down dark visor inside. The transition shield works well day or night, the only slight problem is when you are going into shade and back out quickly, the lens takes maybe 20 seconds to adapt. The drop down is a good compromise in that you can drop it whenever you need it for as long as you need it. Either way I don't have to wear sun glasses or carry an extra shield.

Cheers

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I dont want to carry an extra shield because it means carrying a bag. Plus how do you do it without scratching the shit out of it.

The other thing is that even if I wanted a Bell photocromatic it would be no good to me because none of the new Bells I have tried have fitted me.

They did in the 80's - Bell Star 3 FTW.
    '
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I dont want to carry an extra shield because it means carrying a bag. Plus how do you do it without scratching the shit out of it.

The other thing is that even if I wanted a Bell photocromatic it would be no good to me because none of the new Bells I have tried have fitted me.

They did in the 80's - Bell Star 3 FTW.
    '
    Helmets with drop down shield are for you then.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    Helmets with drop down shield are for you then.
    gonna give it a try. the one I have tried (HJC) hit my nose/glasses.... but there are other brands.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    [QUOTE=Cracker;1131045355]
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    I think you are missing the point.

No, I wanted the ultimate lense, listened to the sales pitch and it failed. I have just done a 5000 km trip through the S.I and back at a good pace. That is a good field test. Every riding condition you could imagine. Visor worked well 50% of the time and the other 50% it was a liability. I will take it back to tell them. I don't want my money back but I am sick of dubious reviews of big name gear.
    Where do you get that from?
    Since buying these helemts we've travelled well over 15000k's, in all sorts of weather in company with good mates and riders.
    Christmas time this year we did 2500Ks on the trot.
    Take it back and do ask for your money back,Bell are a good reputable company, you never know what they will do.It's worht a crack Niggle.
    Me, if I felt the need to I would, but while we bought these helemts on a budget (so high ticket item/big name gear) out the window, they fitted well , we were given both visor's, we were told if there was any problems, to bring em back.
    I've simply relayed our experience of two quite cheap ($700 odd notes each,were $1200, but we took the plain jane colour) with the new visors fitted, well made, good fitting helemts with a new ish form of tehcnology that while it maybe not be perfect, works well enough that I'm happy to say we'd consider them a success.
    So far I count my comments as favourable and yours as not, except that I find myelf and my wifes choice of lids are under fire and our collective experiences have been called into question.
    I have spoken with other photochromatic visor wearers and those people have found them to be very worthwhile.Not just Bell, Shoei and I believe one or two other prominent manufacturers are still bringing these visors out, so they can't be all bad.I'd venture to say they're probably improved on what we have, but thats for another day.
    Given a choice.
    I'd buy photochromatic/transitioning lenses again without hesitation, of course I'd expect action if they didn't work as described.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    I've had a Pinlock transition visor insert and didn't think it was that good. It didn't so much go dark as change colour. From memory it went from a light green tint to a darker blue tint, but not really dark enough.

I also bought a stick-on visor insert on eBay that had a small battery and a light sensor. When the light got bright the lens darkened instantly. If the light level dropped it went clear instantly. The sensitivity was adjustable and there was a push button stuck to the outside edge of the visor to switch manually. It worked perfectly but it was very soft and I damaged it whilst cleaning. As it cost about $200 I decided not to replace it. It was reviewed on Webbikeworld.

I now have a helmet with a drop down internal dark visor.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Street Triple R
    What I dont get is that welding helmets do this perfectly every time... its not like its new tech.

Bike
    2019 Suzuki Gixxer
    Any recommendations on good night driving sunglasses?

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanlee View Post
    Any recommendations on good night driving sunglasses?
    No!
    In case you hadn't noticed this is a motor bike forum.
    Bloody hard wearing sunnies inside a helmet and seeing at night.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I wear my sunglasses at night
    So I can, so I can
    Watch you weave then breathe your story lines

And I wear my sunglasses at night
    So I can, so I can
    Keep track of the visions in my eyes
    . . .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    No!
    In case you hadn't noticed this is a motor bike forum.
    Bloody hard wearing sunnies inside a helmet and seeing at night.
    It's bad enough with normal glasses at night. All the extra reflections you get. I hear Laava is transitioning thoiugh.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    If you look at the reviews on Revzilla, like here they are very mixed.

There is no simple solution if you wear glasses. The compromise for me is a Shoei light smoke visor, which is only just dark enough in sunlight and lets me see reasonably well in the shade. It's also usable at night.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So you cant wear contacts?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So you cant wear contacts?
    No.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Niken, Hypermotard, ST1100, F650, Evoke
    I wear glasses for riding/driving (so I can read the road signs). I use a Neotec with drop down inside sun visor.
    Usually only ride during the day, so would be wearing my daytime riding glasses which are polarised, anti-glare - work really well.
    If riding at night, I'll also carry a pair of transitions glasses (because that's usually the pair I find before I find the plain clear glasses).

I follow a self imposed rule of, if the outside visor is open, then the inside sun visor must also be open, this ensures I don't have to clean the sun visor or risk it getting damaged.

I really like the Neotec.

Thread Information