Thread: GN250 - have to push rear brake hard before brake light turns on

Bike
    GN250

GN250 - have to push rear brake hard before brake light turns on

Hi all. New person here.

As the title says, my GN250's brake light works, but I have to push quite hard before it comes on.

I've done some poking around and have located the screw that needs to be twisted to tighten the spring to make the light more sensitive, but it's really, really difficult to access it. Does anyone have any tricks or know of a special tool used to turn that screw?

Thanks all

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by It's all okay. View Post
    Hi all. New person here.

As the title says, my GN250's brake light works, but I have to push quite hard before it comes on.

I've done some poking around and have located the screw that needs to be twisted to tighten the spring to make the light more sensitive, but it's really, really difficult to access it. Does anyone have any tricks or know of a special tool used to turn that screw?

Thanks all
    Long nosed pliers and a can of undothefucker CRC usually does the trick.
    Make sure the spring hasn't over stretched or broken off, should all work fine once adjusted.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by It's all okay. View Post
    Hi all. New person here.

I've done some poking around and have located the screw that needs to be twisted to tight turn that screw?

Thanks all
    That is often a sign that the brake pads are at (or near) the end of their limit too.

The rear brake switch usually has two locking nuts at the bottom of the switch. loosen the top one and tighten the bottom one. This lifts the switch so it actuates the brake light sooner.
    If you try to shorten the spring ... it (usually) can/will snap.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    And oil and tighten your bloody chain too!

Jesus every GN I see on the road I hear first due to the rusty loose chain noise.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    That is often a sign that the brake pads are at (or near) the end of their limit too.
    Say what? The brake light switch is connected to the brake lever. Surely worn pads would allow the lever to go further, thus making it easier to activate the light?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    And oil and tighten your bloody chain too!

Jesus every GN I see on the road I hear first due to the rusty loose chain noise.
    The stock chain on the GN is sooo damn cheap it stretches while you're tightening it. I actually had mine jump off the sprocket a week after tightening it. Made for a lovely rear skid.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Say what? The brake light switch is connected to the brake lever. Surely worn pads would allow the lever to go further, thus making it easier to activate the light?
    The brake lever can easily be adjusted to suit the rider .... so the amount of brake lever travel distance on well ridden GN's is almost irrelevant. By this time in the age/adjustment process ... the spring is probably stretched a little and will be slack after adjustment. Hence the manufacturer made the switch adjustable.

Many new riders do not know the switch IS (usually) adjustable (Or if it is even there) and try to bend the spring to suit.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information