Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern 250s vs 80/90's 250s

Bike
    Honda XR250 1988

Modern 250s vs 80/90's 250s

There are some similar threads already on this topic, but nothing at answers my question, so I've started this one.
    I'm looking at buying a new 250 sport bike at the moment, but have only previously ridden trail/duel purpose bikes before so I'm new to sport bikes.

So anyway I've read quite a bit about the older 4 cylinder bikes 250s like the cbr250rr and gsxr250 and they sound like a lot of fun and have a bit of character to them.
    Also they are getting quite old now, 20-30 years old and parts can be rare to source.

Then there are the newer 250s like the 1 cylinder cbr250 and ninja 250, which I've read are gutless things compared to the older bikes mentioned above and people seem to get tired of them quickly.
    However they are obviously newer, more parts on hand and easier to find in good condition.

It would be good if i get some opinions on what a better buy would be. I'm already leaning towards an older bike, but would I be foolish to buy a more fun bike that could have/develop issues over
    a newer less exciting bike?

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    With the introduction of the LAM's class motorcycles (251-660 cc) ... the importance of a range of styles and performance capability in 250cc motorcycles has largely been removed.

LAM's also removed the need for a clapped out (old) high mile and age 250 ... (because of license restrictions of the time) ... with larger (and now) new bikes well suited and capable for less experienced riders. Some older ones in this class can be still found with reasonable km's ... and condition. Often cheaply too.

With a rider having some good/basic on-road experience already ... restricting yourself to a 250 would be silly ... as you would tire of it (very) quickly.

The limitation is only what your budget can stand.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Honda XR250 1988
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    With the introduction of the LAM's class motorcycles (251-660 cc) ... the importance of a range of styles and performance capability in 250cc motorcycles has largely been removed.

LAM's also removed the need for a clapped out (old) high mile and age 250 ... (because of license restrictions of the time) ... with larger (and now) new bikes well suited and capable for less experienced riders. Some older ones in this class can be still found with reasonable km's ... and condition. Often cheaply too.

With a rider having some good/basic on-road experience already ... restricting yourself to a 250 would be silly ... as you would tire of it (very) quickly.

The limitation is only what your budget can stand.

I get what you're saying about restricting myself to a 250cc, but I've riding a 88' XR250 on the road for the last 4 years (XR was road legal of course) and wasn't tiring of it even though it barely made 100km/h
    I find myself more attracted to the 250cc - 400cc range, so going for another 250cc isn't a big worry for me at the moment.

So let's just pretend I can only afford a 250cc, go for old or new?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 6money View Post
    I get what you're saying about restricting myself to a 250cc, but I've riding a 88' XR250 on the road for the last 4 years (XR was road legal of course) and wasn't tiring of it even though it barely made 100km/h
    I find myself more attracted to the 250cc - 400cc range, so going for another 250cc isn't a big worry for me at the moment.

So let's just pretend I can only afford a 250cc, go for old or new?
    You're insane.

Also the Ninja is a 300cc twin and will make your XR feel positively asthmatic. Just like your XR would probably make you wonder why anyone would get excited about a new single cylinder Honda CBR250.

The old 250s are all fucked. The very few good ones left will be more expensive than a lightly warmed, very recent, ever so slightly used Ninja 300. Also there is a Versys 300 on the way with a 19" front wheel if you want to keep riding on gravel roads and remain comfortable while doing some decent distance.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Honda XR250 1988
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Just like your XR would probably make you wonder why anyone would get excited about a new single cylinder Honda CBR250.
    Yea I was thinking that about the new cbr250...

The very few good ones left will be more expensive than a lightly warmed, very recent, ever so slightly used Ninja 300.
    So I'm assuming the reason they are so expensive is because they are so much more exciting than the Ninja?

Bike
    Honda XR250 1988
    You're insane.

Also the Ninja is a 300cc twin and will make your XR feel positively asthmatic. Just like your XR would probably make you wonder why anyone would get excited about a new single cylinder Honda CBR250.

The old 250s are all fucked. The very few good ones left will be more expensive than a lightly warmed, very recent, ever so slightly used Ninja 300. Also there is a Versys 300 on the way with a 19" front wheel if you want to keep riding on gravel roads and remain comfortable while doing some decent distance.
    So what you are saying is older 250s are better, ONLY if it's in good condition. Otherwise go to a ninja 300?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    So what you are saying is older 250s are better, ONLY if it's in good condition. Otherwise go to a ninja 300?
    Yes. And by "good condition" I mean it better have had a couple of decent overhauls in its time and at least one new rear shock, and all bearings replaced (Sprocket carrier, wheel, steering head, swing arm pivot) carbs that have been rebuilt, compression across all 4 cylinders that looks like they are from the same bike, not two lawn mowers and a radio controlled car, and brakes that work, not some pistons firmly wedged in the calipers that move the pads onto the disks by using . I did this with a Katana 400 once and it was really rewarding. But you don't get that money back, so as a buyer you shouldn't be expected to carry the cost of normal servicing, which does get more costly as machines get older. Unless it's NZ and you just bodge it with a merry, "she'll be right!", and wobble off into the sunset.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Honda XR250 1988
    Yes. And by "good condition" I mean it better have had a couple of decent overhauls in its time and at least one new rear shock, and all bearings replaced (Sprocket carrier, wheel, steering head, swing arm pivot) carbs that have been rebuilt, compression across all 4 cylinders that looks like they are from the same bike, not two lawn mowers and a radio controlled car, and brakes that work, not some pistons firmly wedged in the calipers that move the pads onto the disks by using . I did this with a Katana 400 once and it was really rewarding. But you don't get that money back, so as a buyer you shouldn't be expected to carry the cost of normal servicing, which does get more costly as machines get older. Unless it's NZ and you just bodge it with a merry, "she'll be right!", and wobble off into the sunset.
    Ok sweet, cheers for confirming my suspicions. I already have my eye on a gsxr250 with low kms on it, I'll just have to have a peek under the fairings.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Ok sweet, cheers for confirming my suspicions. I already have my eye on a gsxr250 with low kms on it, I'll just have to have a peek under the fairings.
    Check stuff like cable operation, gear linkages, gear changes when cold, brake hoses - if it has the original brake hoses, budget to replace them front and rear when you offer money to buy the bike. It should have a matched set of tyres. I had a GSXR250 from new, they have 17" rims, so decent tyres aren't that hard to find. Check the fuse box and as much of the wiring loom as you can see - honestly, old bikes are a minefield. Get a Ninja 300. Or a KTM 390. Anything other than learner bike that has been thrashed hard for nearly 30 years and put away wet by ham-fisted hooligans with no mechanical sympathy and a predilection for smoked indicator lenses and anodised bolts. And stickers; lots and lots of stickers.

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    The only older bike I would say to go for is a RVF400 which for some backwards reason is LAMS approved.
    No matter how good the older 4 cylinder bikes seem I would advise against ( and I own an RGV250 and ZXR400). They require a huge amount of maintenance, even a low km one has been sitting around for 25 years making oil seals brittle and rusting out tanks and cables etc.
    A newer bike will be more expensive and slightly slower but having a bike you can just get on and ride and trust to not break down on the way is worth it in my opinion.
    If you want a small sports bike I would suggest a KTM RC390, Yamaha R3 or Kawasaki Ninja 300 (in that order), if you just want a faired bike look at the CBR500. But in my opinion the MT07 is the best value LAMS bike

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... So let's just pretend I can only afford a 250cc, go for old or new?
    How much they cost is not determined solely by cc rating.

On a budget ... look more at km's traveled rather than age. Don't spend all the budget on the bike ... save some for good riding gear, better suited to the new style of motorcycle. And some for gas money so you can afford to actually ride it.

Money spent too ... on certified rider training courses ... is money well spent.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Better? POSSIBLY, if as James points out, they are exceptionally well maintained and not 40-50k+km machines.
    The average 250 will have been owned by a constant stream of 'Ernest Thrashers' who just as likely have NOT had the correct periodic maintenance done. Remember a 4 cyl bike has a 'fixed price' for it's service schedule and that is several hundreds. CC size has no bearing on cost, amount of cylinders do. Major services are around $5-600. Doesn't take much to work out how many of those may have never gotten performed.
    Cheap chinese made fairings can soon make a neglected and thrashed to fuck bike look reasonable. The really fast older 250's were taken out of the LAM's list KR, RGV etc. Most of the modern twins will get close or break 160kph. Do you REALLY need faster? Plus 20+ yr better suspension, brakes etc.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    As stated here, get a modern bike and learn how to ride it well. Yes the old 250s had 45hp. But they only have that if they are running right, which is not often. And they are tiny.

A well ridden GS500 will piss over a badly ridden CBR250. Concentrate on being a great rider, not having a great bike. Modern bike will let you ride over spending time trying to get it running.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Damn we were lucky with the range of 250cc bikes in the 90's.

Bike
    Honda XR250 1988
    Ok thanks for the replies everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    Remember a 4 cyl bike has a 'fixed price' for it's service schedule and that is several hundreds. CC size has no bearing on cost, amount of cylinders do. Major services are around $5-600. Doesn't take much to work out how many of those may have never gotten performed.
    How many km between overhauls should be expected? I've only ever owned XR's and they are "run forever with general maintenance" bikes, so I have no idea when to do major servicing.

Thread Information