Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern 250s vs 80/90's 250s

Bike
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    I got a ZXR250 for my first bike and what everyone is saying is true. I got it for almost nothing and have spent about $500-700 on parts (and a few tools) to get the engine back to spec (cam chain, carb seal kit, valve shims, fluids etc) and i've had to do the front fork seals, strip the brakes and clean them/change the seals etc.

The bike still looks like a piece of shit and the rear shock is stuffed. But it does go well and sounds awesome and i got my restricted and my full license on it.

I wouldn't want to take it on a ride longer than 3-4 hours because it is so small and uncomfortable for me. I'm 6'1" and 82kg.

If I was going to do it again and I wasnt offered the ZXR for such a good deal I would probably go for a KTM Duke 390 or 200. My mate has a 200 and they are awesome for commuting and are heaps of fun in the twisties.

Bike
    Honda XR250 1988
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    Money spent too ... on certified rider training courses ... is money well spent.
    Agreed, I've completed a skills course before and it was quite helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    As stated here, get a modern bike and learn how to ride it well. Yes the old 250s had 45hp. But they only have that if they are running right, which is not often. And they are tiny.

A well ridden GS500 will piss over a badly ridden CBR250. Concentrate on being a great rider, not having a great bike. Modern bike will let you ride over spending time trying to get it running.
    But can't you have a great bike and learn to be a great rider? A newer bike will be more reliable, but will it help me gain more skills over an older one? I'm not a completely new rider, just new to sports bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by mangere View Post
    I got a ZXR250 for my first bike and what everyone is saying is true. I got it for almost nothing and have spent about $500-700 on parts (and a few tools) to get the engine back to spec (cam chain, carb seal kit, valve shims, fluids etc) and i've had to do the front fork seals, strip the brakes and clean them/change the seals etc.

Was it obvious there would be work to do by checking it over/test ride? I know there is always a possibility of issues forming after you buy a bike, but just wanna know how well maintained a bike is before I buy anything.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by 6money View Post
    But can't you have a great bike and learn to be a great rider? A newer bike will be more reliable, but will it help me gain more skills over an older one? I'm not a completely new rider, just new to sports bikes.
    Easier to learn on a bike that runs well over something you have to ride around faults on.

Bike
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    Was it obvious there would be work to do by checking it over/test ride? I know there is always a possibility of issues forming after you buy a bike, but just wanna know how well maintained a bike is before I buy anything.
    I bought it from a friend who had it sitting in the garage for 3 years so I was expecting a fair bit of work. Based on my experience I would say look out for noisy top end (cam chain tensioner or maybe cam chain is simply too worn), hard to start/missing/power is not smooth (carbs need servicing), leaking fork seals (probably pretty common with old bikes that don't get much use).

One weird thing that mine was doing when I first got it was that it was impossible to start when hot, I had to let it cool down for 10-20 minutes before it would start again. I now think this was due to the valve clearances being too tight, but it is something you can try while you are out for a test ride.

Oh and don't expect much acceleration from these things until 6-7k revs and then peak seems to be around 9-12k and it drops off at 15k. I imagine the hondas and suzukis are the same.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    If you want to learn bike mechanics then buy an old bike. Get used to that bike being in bits repeatedly and spending good riding weather sorting out yet another niggle. Alternately, pick a winter and rebuild the thing from the frame up, repainting, replacing all bearings, wiring loom, every seal, etc etc.

If you want to actually ride then make a call about an age limit and shop from there.

No matter what you do, stay away from reading loads of online reviews and fixating on something that you haven't yet seen or ridden in the real world.

Yes, mid 90's 250cc 4's would have been one hell of a lotta fun. Bikes never stopped improving. The current crop of 250 - 400 road sportsbikes are almost unbelievable bang for your buck compared to the crap that was around when I was in 250 hell.

After sampling the instant, effortless overtaking capability of the 900 Supersport (gear changes completely optional, and it's a baby by modern sportsbike standards) I could never go back.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... So I'm assuming the reason they are so expensive is because they are so much more exciting than the Ninja?
    You assume wrong ... A good condition one ... with low km's is rare (and sought after) ... because most have been killed (along with their riders) by noobs with little riding ability ... and even less maintenance ability.

But an older model will require (continuous) work/money to keep in tune, rattles kept to the minimum, the suspension working as it should ... which wasn't great (compared to modern set-ups).
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    You assume wrong ... A good condition one ... with low km's is rare (and sought after) ... because most have been killed (along with their riders) by noobs with little riding ability ... and even less maintenance ability.

But an older model will require (continuous) work/money to keep in tune, rattles kept to the minimum, the suspension working as it should ... which wasn't great (compared to modern set-ups).

My 1991 Kawasaki ZZR400, which I sold a couple of years ago, has just clicked over 105,000 (apparently certified original) kms according to the owner who I caught up with the other day. It was bought by me in going, registered and WoF condition for under $3000 and serviced by me mostly and as per schedule. It was great to ride and never let me down, although I had roadside assistance just in case.

This weekend, because I'm back in NZ for good, I'll be completing a deal for two of the same bikes, one registered and one with lapsed rego, but both going with one having 75,000 kms on it and the other 40,000 kms. That'll give me a Winter project although I'll be still riding my V-Strom which I really enjoy.

Bike
    Honda XR250 1988
    Ok I ended up going against most peoples thoughts and bought a 1990 cbr400rr, the first nc29. Yea sure there were loads of ninja 250 and 300's going up on trade me everyday but I just couldn't shake the feeling of wanting a 90's race replica. I couldn't find any great 250's so decided to look into the 400 that had been sitting on my watchlist for a while, can't wait to take it for a ride once this snow goes away!

Thread Information