Thread: Removing rear gear shifter

Bike
    N/A

Removing rear gear shifter

I read on a post I found on here from 2010, about a Yamaha Scorpio, that they have the rear gear shifters. The kind you can shift down with your heel. They also have the normal toe shifter.

If I want to remove it there was a post saying to just cut it off, which seems a bit raw to do? I don't want to revive a 7 year old post to ask about that so I thought I should start a new one.

Can anybody confirm you simply cut it off for it to not be there? Wouldn't I need to do anything else?

Thanks

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack85 View Post
    I read on a post I found on here from 2010, about a Yamaha Scorpio, that they have the rear gear shifters. The kind you can shift down with your heel. They also have the normal toe shifter.

If I want to remove it there was a post saying to just cut it off, which seems a bit raw to do? I don't want to revive a 7 year old post to ask about that so I thought I should start a new one.

Can anybody confirm you simply cut it off for it to not be there? Wouldn't I need to do anything else?

Thanks
    Jack85,
    It is definitely used by some people, but I found it getting in the way.

You can cut it off on the bike, but it is much better/easier to take the time to take it off.
    Less damage to bike is possible.
    Less heartache if its your first and brand new bike.

Mark the position, with a felt pen or similar(from memory its on a spline).

Remove it and use a hacksaw/cutoff disc AFTER looking at what you want to keep.

Remove any burrs or lumps that might snag on clothing etc.

Replace on bike, making sure spring clip is fully engaged (its what I remember holds it on)

Go for a short ride. Test it out.

Some people want to keep it original, but I keep snagging my boots and trousers on it.

Its a good bike, but need to keep eye on oil level and service periods (they were way shorter than I expected)

but that's what this is about learning what to do and what to look for.

And yes I still would buy another one if I was to start again.
    Last edited by eldog; 10th May 2017 at 18:40. Reason: rambling

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    N/A
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I can't visualise how to do it because I've not got the bike. I've not got any bike actually, this will be my first bike.

Don't suppose you can find a video showing it? I've searched hi and low but can't find any, there all about bicycles.

Thanks

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I can't visualise how to do it because I've not got the bike. I've not got any bike actually, this will be my first bike.

Don't suppose you can find a video showing it? I've searched hi and low but can't find any, there all about bicycles.

Thanks
    undo the bolt holding the shifter on, remove it, put it in a vice, and chop the back off, then put it back on.

If you cant figure out how to do that, you shouldnt be anywhere near a set of tools, it should be pretty obvious when you are looking at it.

If you are worried about originality, buy a spare one off ebay so you can put it back to stock if you dont like it.

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    Just beware that the front end is a drum shaped pedal covered by a tubular rubber. A lot of heel & toe levers have flat pedals with a rough underside. This would tear the crap out of the top of your boot. In this case I would suggest replacing the whole thing.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    a red heap

Thanks
    Ok valentino, why do you want to remove something you have never used before?

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Ok valentino, why do you want to remove something you have never used before?

What he said. Ride it first - you make like the heel-toe shifter.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Be careful with this. Its not that simple....you will lose 2nd and 3rd gear if you hacksaw it from the bottom instead of the top. As stated earler, you need to de burr, but you should be cautious as if you deburr too much, you will remove the burr spur completly and not have any drive at all.

dont go anywhere near tools is my advice.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    Be careful with this. Its not that simple....you will lose 2nd and 3rd gear if you hacksaw it from the bottom instead of the top. As stated earler, you need to de burr, but you should be cautious as if you deburr too much, you will remove the burr spur completly and not have any drive at all.

dont go anywhere near tools is my advice.
    You dont necessarily lose hookup by removing the burr spur. So long as there is still a modicum of hookup, then you are all good. If you use a plasma cutter for instance you will not have any "burring" but you need to remove all splattering as this can cause erratic changes!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    N/A
    Thanks for all of the replies. The guy I bought it off has the other shifter without the heel part.

When I was riding it and I was stationary at lights, I noticed I accidentally shifted up gears accidentally, that's on reason I want to remove it.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Thanks for all of the replies. The guy I bought it off has the other shifter without the heel part.

When I was riding it and I was stationary at lights, I noticed I accidentally shifted up gears accidentally, that's on reason I want to remove it.
    If the seller still has the standard gear shift lever that goes on the bike then you'd be better to get that and just swap them over.

Bike
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    If the seller still has the standard gear shift lever that goes on the bike then you'd be better to get that and just swap them over.
    Yes they have it to me after he sale, so I should be able to fit that

Thread Information