Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the forum, saying hi

Bike
    2015 Yamaha Tricity MW125
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Dunno, you should see my postie do a feet up, full lock, U-i downhill, on a driveway nearby. The drive is like a bloody ski jump and covered with green spooge. I would think twice trying to do it on a trials bike. I think my postie is well cool in his warehouse waterproofs but don't tell him.
    The third wheel removes all fear

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    +1

Now, here's a question for the retired TO...

if the Tricity is registered and licenced as a motorcar, should the rider be allowed to ride it in a bus lane along with cycles, mopeds and motorcycles?
    Ah, finally someone has asked the pivotal question.

No, Tricitys cant be used in a bus lane, as the exemption is for motorcycles, not vehicles registered as cars.

And if a Tricity is parked in a motorcycles only space, they can get ticketed. Coz theyre cars.

You cant have your cake and eat it too. Prefer donuts myself.

Oh the glorious laws of NZ.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Ah, finally someone has asked the pivotal question.

No, Tricitys cant be used in a bus lane, as the exemption is for motorcycles, not vehicles registered as cars.

And if a Tricity is parked in a motorcycles only space, they can get ticketed. Coz theyre cars.

You cant have your cake and eat it too. Prefer donuts myself.

Oh the glorious laws of NZ.
    So ... he will not be required (by law) to wear a crash helmet. AND ... he must wear seat belts ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    So despite the Tricity having no more impact protection than any other motorcycle the ACC logic for charging the premiums they do must come down to power/ccs and nothing else. If the Piaggio MP3 had a 125cc motor (I think they are 250) ACC would be obliged to register them as a car too. There does appear to be a major flaw in ACC logic here and maybe someone on here and there are a number that agree with the way premiums are arrived at could explain the reason why the Tricity qualifies for car registration?
    As far as I know bikes up to 50cc have been allowed to be ridden on a car license for years and maybe they qualify for being exempt from motorcycle licensing because there are not many serious injuries or deaths from riders on them.

ACC does not decide if a vehicle is registered as a car or a motorcycle
    , NZTA decide the "class", such as class MA for passenger car and the requirements that a class MA vehicle must comply with or motorcycle which is class LC. All ACC does is determine what levy it charges for each class and if there will be variations within that levy charged.

Piaggio does make a 125cc MP3 for the European market because that allows them to sell MP3s to those learning to ride under the EU regulations regarding learning to ride. Piaggio also make a "LT" model for the European market which under EU regulations can be ridden on a car licence provided the holder of that car licence fulfills the requirements, such as licence was issued before a certain date.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    start of lots of dribble

...the OP's thread just degenerated big time...don't encourage it, please...

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...the OP's thread just degenerated big time...don't encourage it, please...
    Wrong focus, I find the musings of the one we no longer mention quite refreshing...well, in the sense that most of us look much smarter in its presence. See, every cloud has a silver lining

Bike
    Irrespective of whether it is ACC or NZTA that is the deciding authority to have the Tricity registered as a car you have not answered my question as to the logic of it considering the impact protection offered by a Tricity is no different to a motocycle unlike a real car.
    If you want to question the reason[s], and consequently the logic, that ACC used to determine the levy charged on the licence, because we generally only register a vehicle once, of a Tricity then you will need to ask them directly.

I am presuming that ACC have determined the levy because NZTA have classed the Tricity as class MA and that the criteria ACC use to determine levies are grouped according to class of vehicle and that ACC are able to justify the levy they have determined for the Tricity. However, a far more important question, which should be directed to NZTA, is why the Tricity is classed as a motor vehicle.

So, therefore I suggest I did answer your question by stating that NZTA classed the Tricity as a motor vehicle and that ACC determined the levy ACC would charge for a vehicle in that class.

Bike
    Back on track...

To the OP, even though you are riding your Tricity on a car licence it is great to read that you intend to start on getting your bike licence. Then a bigger world of bikes will open up for you to explore.

Plus, before you start on your bike licence, do the Urban rider course that RideForLife offers which is subsidised by ACC.

Bike
    2015 Yamaha Tricity MW125
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Back on track...

To the OP, even though you are riding your Tricity on a car licence it is great to read that you intend to start on getting your bike licence. Then a bigger world of bikes will open up for you to explore.

Plus, before you start on your bike licence, do the Urban rider course that RideForLife offers which is subsidised by ACC.
    Cheers Moi. Actually I have already done that course, although on the day it was a combined 'Urban Commuter/Scooter Survival' course. I highly recommend it, and it certainly plan to make the most of the ACC subidised training down the track.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    So ... he will not be required (by law) to wear a crash helmet. AND ... he must wear seat belts ...
    You are being selective regarding the laws. I don't blame you, it's a combination of requirements.

The laws are easy for vehicles which are clearly cars or clearly bikes. Even Harleys. It's the ones that fall in between that muddy the waters.

Boom Trikes, Tricitys, Spyders.........all fit in the gap between the two. Some car rules apply, some bike rules apply.

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    My maybe mistaken understanding is that a trike is registered according to its doner. So a VW trike is a car and must have seatbelts and a bike trike is a bike and you must use a helmet. . I Those that are designed from scratch get have to go to the authorities for certification, such as the Spyder.

Canam successfully argued in a few countries, including NZ, that as it only has a foot operated braking​ system then a car drivers instinct in an emergency is to stamp on the brake, bringing it to a hopefully safe stop. Trust me that having owned two of them and as a long time motorcyclist, when idiots have turned in front of me my automatic reaction was to grab the non-existent front brake. A scary second of delay whilst my brain registered and pushed my foot harder. I often wondered if fitting a seatbelt would let me go helmet free, but then I'd have a bee or stone hit my helmet and remember that it's a good idea.

Interestingly if you only have a bike license you cannot legally ride a Spyder as it requires a car license.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Getting back to the original poster. An interesting description of your Tricity. I personally think that having two leaning front wheels makes for a safe configuration. No more worrying about hitting loose gravel on a bend and low-siding, but still with the motorcycle experience of leaning, unlike trikes

Bike
    Those leaner sidecars came out in the UK and were called Sidewinders. They were designed to get around the law when the learner limit was reduced from 250cc to 125cc 12hp. There was no cc limit if a sidecar was fitted.

I did occasionally slide the front of my Spyder on bends with loose surfaces. It certainly changes the colour of your underpants as it under-steers, but on 2 wheels it would be a definite off. Personally I loved the Rocket 3 with two leaning front wheels that was at the Classic Bike Show.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by FLUB View Post
    Those leaner sidecars came out in the UK and were called Sidewinders. They were designed to get around the law when the learner limit was reduced from 250cc to 125cc 12hp. There was no cc limit if a sidecar was fitted.

I did occasionally slide the front of my Spyder on bends with loose surfaces. It certainly changes the colour of your underpants as it under-steers, but on 2 wheels it would be a definite off. Personally I loved the Rocket 3 with two leaning front wheels that was at the Classic Bike Show.

Hey young fella me lad! Pleaase do not respond to fuckwit, it won't go away if you do. I understnd you are answering the Op's questions really, but IT just can't help butt butt inn.
    See you out there big guy.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Thread Information