Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum, saying hi

Bike
    2015 Yamaha Tricity MW125

New to the forum, saying hi

Howdy... I currently ride a scooter rain or shine, looking at getting my motorcycle learner's in a wee while.
    Pretty much a lurker on most forums, I can see there's lots to learn so I thought I'd say hi, it's nice to be here.
    Corey, Christchurch

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Welcome, and good onya.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    A
    Welcome to the funny farm

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    just stay away from group rides cos you'll feel under pressure to keep up and die a fiery death. also buy lots of lotto tickets because staying alive on two wheels comes down entirely to luck.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    G'day.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Tell us about ya Tricity Mister.

The local postie uses one and it's got me fascinated.

Keep an exceedingly open mind about some KB members posts and a pinch of salt handy.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by nzCdog View Post
    Howdy... I currently ride a scooter rain or shine, looking at getting my motorcycle learner's in a wee while.
    Pretty much a lurker on most forums, I can see there's lots to learn so I thought I'd say hi, it's nice to be here.
    Corey, Christchurch
    Welcome nzCdog Great to have you on board
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    Thanks all for the kind welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post

The local postie uses one and it's got me fascinated
    Hi George. Well I think the Tricity is awesome, got it in December and I'm really pleased with it. For the commute between work home &uni, for me it's unbeatable. Very easy to ride, with the physical size and cc rating it definitely holds it's own in a traffic lane. Plus you really notice the extra wheel's grip in the wet. Cheap rego and insurance, registered as a 'private passenger car/van'.

I have a big-ass plexiglass windshield and a rear top box, as well as the underseat storage which fits my helmet. I do up to 25km a day, only through the burbs. It comfortably does 85kph. I've never tried it on the open road.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Greetings.

Beware advice obtained from this forum. Filter it via 100 metres of silica sand.

Those Tricity things are cool, and the staff at Chch hospital are buying them to solve the parking problem. Bonus cheap registration, and not having to bother with those pesky licence things.

Nice to have chew aboard.

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    just stay away from group rides cos you'll feel under pressure to keep up and die a fiery death. also buy lots of lotto tickets because staying alive on two wheels comes down entirely to luck.
    And now that you met our resident clown............
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post

The local postie uses one and it's got me fascinated.

Keep an exceedingly open mind about some KB members posts and a pinch of salt handy.
    No particular relevance, just turned up on the google thing:

Is it mandatory to get custom HD shit completely arse backwards?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ksg.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	330939  
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    Rastus do you have any idea why ACC do not apply their unsafe logic when setting premiums for those as there is no more protection offered by them than a 1000cc bike other than the third wheel offering better grip in the wet.
    I think it's an accident waiting to happen. Anyone who has a car licence (even a learners) can ride a 125cc Yamaha Tricity.

Yet a Piaggio MP3 is classified as a motorcycle. Sheesh. That decision is questionable.

I really think that anyone who rides a thing that poses the risks motorcyclists face should have a motorcycle licence. Then they will have had to go through at least some education about motorcycle risks and practices.

Bike
    Thanks all for the kind welcomes, and helpful advice!

RE: Tricity

I must say it's quite nice to be stirring the pot already... in my welcome thread

I really think that anyone who rides a thing that poses the risks motorcyclists face should have a motorcycle licence. Then they will have had to go through at least some education about motorcycle risks and practices.
    No argument here, plenty of potential for the wrong person to hurt themselves or others on a vehicle like this.

However, I definitely feel safer on this than a pushbike or a 49cc scooter, both of which I am also allowed to use without motorcycle training, or just a car licence. The third wheel provides a noticeable improvement in traction and grip in the wet. The increased size and modest improvement in power means the bike is more visible and keeps up with the flow of normal suburban traffic. However the 125cc CVT certainly isn't peppy enough to pip your average corolla at the lights... I don't think it's dangerously overpowered for what it is.

To my mind the major downfall is it ain't very cool.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I think it's an accident waiting to happen. Anyone who has a car licence (even a learners) can ride a 125cc Yamaha Tricity.

Yet a Piaggio MP3 is classified as a motorcycle. Sheesh. That decision is questionable.

+1

Now, here's a question for the retired TO...

if the Tricity is registered and licenced as a motorcar, should the rider be allowed to ride it in a bus lane along with cycles, mopeds and motorcycles?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzCdog View Post
    Thanks all for the kind welcomes, and helpful advice!

RE: Tricity

I must say it's quite nice to be stirring the pot already... in my welcome thread

No argument here, plenty of potential for the wrong person to hurt themselves or others on a vehicle like this.

However, I definitely feel safer on this than a pushbike or a 49cc scooter, both of which I am also allowed to use without motorcycle training, or just a car licence. The third wheel provides a noticeable improvement in traction and grip in the wet. The increased size and modest improvement in power means the bike is more visible and keeps up with the flow of normal suburban traffic. However the 125cc CVT certainly isn't peppy enough to pip your average corolla at the lights... I don't think it's dangerously overpowered for what it is.

To my mind the major downfall is it ain't very cool.
    Dunno, you should see my postie do a feet up, full lock, U-i downhill, on a driveway nearby. The drive is like a bloody ski jump and covered with green spooge. I would think twice trying to do it on a trials bike. I think my postie is well cool in his warehouse waterproofs but don't tell him.
    Yamaha had an 850cc twin, prototype, at a show a couple of years ago. I've always wanted to be a great, late breaker.

What was that pic earlier, put me off me tea? Looked like Oprah Winfrey passed out in a bikini. No offense, Oprah, I'm sure you don't drink that much.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information