Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bike often stalls when pulling clutch

Bike
    N/A

New bike often stalls when pulling clutch

Not sure if this is a mechanical/electrical/rider problem.

I'm a new rider and just got my new new to me Yamaha Scorpio 225. When I am riding in th cold (usually on a night, although I've only had the bike a week) and pull my clutch to change gears, sometimes the bike stalls. I can't find a pattern to when it does it apart f Om it seems to happen more at night and doesn't seem to do it when I ride it in the middle of the day or morning.

It happened 2 or 3 times tonight in a 15 minute ride home from work.

It stalls when the clutch is fully pulled so I don't think it's me that's stalling the bike. I loose all power and the engine turns off. It usually happens if I pull the clutch back for longer than usual.

Not sure if it's related but the dipped headlights don't work, only the main beam so I always ride around with my main beam on, and when I increase the revs the light b comes brighter.

Can anyone think of any possibilities?

Thanks

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Will it idle when parked .. ???
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Hmmm. That's a curly one. If someone else can't give you a better/quicker solution then here's what I reckon:
    Your bike has been in a crash and had the headlight replaced. No problem . Every leaners bike gets dropped sooner or later . BUT there's lots of wires and plugs inside the headlight, where they connect all the wires from different parts of the bike. There may be wires controlling the ignition, starter motor, clutch interlock, kill switch, etc. Not to mention the headlight bulb, headlight switch, high/low beam switch. I reckon somebody mucked up the wiring connections when they replaced the headlight , or perhaps some connector or other has fallen apart. It only needs one wire out of place
    Buy a manual with a wiring diagram and check all the connections you can find and make sure the colours are right. It'll take a while but that's what I reckon.

Bike
    N/A
    I've only had it a week and each time I've ridden it so bad to use choke to start it but it does idle with the choke on, but then when I let the choke out it sometimes cuts out.

It doesn't cut out a lot when I'm riding it, like stationary at lights or waiting to turn, just sometimes does when I hold the clutch in. (Disengaged correct?)

Bike
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Hmmm. That's a curly one. If someone else can't give you a better/quicker solution then here's what I reckon:
    Your bike has been in a crash and had the headlight replaced. No problem . Every leaners bike gets dropped sooner or later . BUT there's lots of wires and plugs inside the headlight, where they connect all the wires from different parts of the bike. There may be wires controlling the ignition, starter motor, clutch interlock, kill switch, etc. Not to mention the headlight bulb, headlight switch, high/low beam switch. I reckon somebody mucked up the wiring connections when they replaced the headlight , or perhaps some connector or other has fallen apart. It only needs one wire out of place
    Buy a manual with a wiring diagram and check all the connections you can find and make sure the colours are right. It'll take a while but that's what I reckon.
    I wouldn't be able to do that, it's far above my ability. I have the original owners manual but that doesn't seem to have it in. I presume a Yamaha dealer could advise me more?

Bike
    N/A
    It happens tonight 2 mins into my journey and later at 10 mins into my journey so the engine would be warmed up by 10 mins of riding...

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack85 View Post
    I wouldn't be able to do that, it's far above my ability.
    "Ah come on mate, you'll be right...
    Hey Jonesy! Give us a hand with a job on Saturday!"

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...plugs, carburetor...

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Will it start without the clutch in? Some bikes have a switch which wont allow you to start the bike unless the clutch is in, could it be a problem with that KB gurus? I know the sidestand switch on my ho bag used to kill the engine when I was mid corner at full lean

Bike
    bandit
    I've only had it a week and each time I've ridden it so bad to use choke to start it but it does idle with the choke on, but then when I let the choke out it sometimes cuts out.

It doesn't cut out a lot when I'm riding it, like stationary at lights or waiting to turn, just sometimes does when I hold the clutch in. (Disengaged correct?)
    That sounds like more of a carb problem. When you have the clutch in you will also have the throttle shut down - well usually - it may be a carb issue that causes the bike to lose power and the engine die.

I'm not that familiar with the carbs on those things, but I would be looking for a jet that is set badly, so that when you shut off the throttle it completely cuts the fuel to the engine.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    That sounds like more of a carb problem. When you have the clutch in you will also have the throttle shut down - well usually - it may be a carb issue that causes the bike to lose power and the engine die.

I'm not that familiar with the carbs on those things, but I would be looking for a jet that is set badly, so that when you shut off the throttle it completely cuts the fuel to the engine.
    Partially blocked pilot jet maybe?

Bike
    ducati 900ss f650
    What rev's does it idle at when warm ?
    When you put the bike in to first do the revs drop?

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    Sounds like the idle is set too low. It should be around 1500 rpm when warm.

The headlight issue is probably just a burnt out filiment. Pull the bulb out and check to see if the little coils aren't burnt or broken

Bike
    a red heap
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Or you could just turn the idle up.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Or you could just turn the idle up.

Listen to this guy. Two minutes with a screwdriver will sort it.

If you don't know where the idle screw is on your bike ... google it.

SIMPLE things first.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information