Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Are property investors the scourge of the earth?

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    If the council's inspection regime doesn't produce in-spec' results then who's fault is that?

Again: the acid test is "would the customer pay for the service if they didn't have to?"

But I'm not just bitching about the council, why are building sites priced so far over the cost to supply them?

Nowhere in the real world should it cost $450k for a lump of dirt with a couple of pipes laid in. It's a fucking joke.
    Hobsonville Point has poxy 400sqm sections at $700k and then you have to pay on top to build something

Owners, now living in their dream, 4Bed/2Bath/Garage, homes tell me you can hear your neighbours shitting (at no extra charge).

Fletchers throw in the sound of neighbours shitting, in Hobsonville Point, for a cool $1,195,000

Bike
    motocompo
    If the council's inspection regime doesn't produce in-spec' results then who's fault is that?

Again: the acid test is "would the customer pay for the service if they didn't have to?"

But I'm not just bitching about the council, why are building sites priced so far over the cost to supply them?

Nowhere in the real world should it cost $450k for a lump of dirt with a couple of pipes laid in. It's a fucking joke.
    I have just purchased a site at $350/sq mtr in a vast commercial development.
    They have moved millions of cube of dirt, including a 45 metre high hill, roads, a bridge, sewerage, drainage, services & a thousand other things, all in a huge way.
    To be frank, I feel I got a bargain. The bridge alone was over $4M.
    I usually agree with you, but your "couple of pipes laid in" bit is grossly over simplistic.

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Hobsonville Point has poxy 400sqm sections at $700k and then you have to pay on top to build something

Owners, now living in their dream, 4Bed/2Bath/Garage, homes tell me you can hear your neighbours shitting (at no extra charge).

Fletchers throw in the sound of neighbours shitting, in Hobsonville Point, for a cool $1,195,000

Yep, Hobsonville Point is a disgusting place.

Also, among others, there's an eight-story apartment block in Auburn Street Takapuna that's got the go ahead although it had 10 separate aspects not permitted under the North Shore District plan. It got the ok under "discretionary powers".

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    They have moved millions of cube of dirt, including a 45 metre high hill, roads, a bridge, sewerage, drainage, services & a thousand other things, all in a huge way.
    To be frank, I feel I got a bargain. The bridge alone was over $4M.
    I usually agree with you, but your "couple of pipes laid in" bit is grossly over simplistic.
    I assure you that in the case of the development up the road here it's fuck all of an exaggeration. I pinned a mate down about it, professional earthworks contractor, who eventually suggested his company with a team of maybe 4 guys could have prepared to the same standard in about two weeks. I think there was 24 odd sites involved. $12 million for a couple of weeks work is fucking good money in anyone's language, although he did warn me that there'd be a couple of cubes of concrete and a quantity of compliance costs he wasn't prepared to discuss to add to his labour.

I have no problem whatsoever with people taking reasonable profit from their work, but I have a huge problem with completely arbitrary and fucking ridiculous prices from a comfortable wee monopoly set up by the local old boys club.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Also: You Rich Pricks sicken me.

Bike
    motocompo
    Rich???, you mean lucky.
    I only bought four square metres.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Rich???, you mean lucky.
    Going to put a sign there directing people to your existing premises ?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I assure you that in the case of the development up the road here it's fuck all of an exaggeration. I pinned a mate down about it, professional earthworks contractor, who eventually suggested his company with a team of maybe 4 guys could have prepared to the same standard in about two weeks. I think there was 24 odd sites involved. $12 million for a couple of weeks work is fucking good money in anyone's language, although he did warn me that there'd be a couple of cubes of concrete and a quantity of compliance costs he wasn't prepared to discuss to add to his labour.

I have no problem whatsoever with people taking reasonable profit from their work, but I have a huge problem with completely arbitrary and fucking ridiculous prices from a comfortable wee monopoly set up by the local old boys club.
    My favourite commercial jobs are ones where the client owns the site, then spends $300k or so on plans. planners, traffic engineers and council. Before a spade is turned in the earth.

I had a guy setting up a bar in a new commercial build on the busiest road in town. He was forced by council to put a "noise lobby" into the site taking out two restaurant tables - onto a road that is thronged with traffic all the time. Council were concerned about "noise spill" into the street from the restaurant. Oh, the acoustic engineer? two lots of $8k. Traffic engineer (it had two carparks round the back) $5k. Fire engineer (probably necessary) $12k.

I did OK out of it too but it was a lot of work.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Rich???, you mean lucky.
    let me guess: hot dog stand?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Careful bro! We'll tag you in the Dual Logins thread!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Lol, the way you talk you don't sound too poor yourself, maybe you are even richer than Bob.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    As for quality of construction jobs and abiding by the rules I've just read this story http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9278...highrise-blaze where the fire hydrant risers had been disconnected and then a worker sets fire up top with a gas torch.

Probably under pressure from the developers to get the job done and the Council not watching what they were doing with fore protection.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    My favourite commercial jobs are ones where the client owns the site, then spends $300k or so on plans. planners, traffic engineers and council. Before a spade is turned in the earth.

I had a guy setting up a bar in a new commercial build on the busiest road in town. He was forced by council to put a "noise lobby" into the site taking out two restaurant tables - onto a road that is thronged with traffic all the time. Council were concerned about "noise spill" into the street from the restaurant. Oh, the acoustic engineer? two lots of $8k. Traffic engineer (it had two carparks round the back) $5k. Fire engineer (probably necessary) $12k.

I did OK out of it too but it was a lot of work.
    Just assume there's a facepalm big enough to cover that here eh?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    As for quality of construction jobs and abiding by the rules I've just read this story http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9278...highrise-blaze where the fire hydrant risers had been disconnected and then a worker sets fire up top with a gas torch.

Probably under pressure from the developers to get the job done and the Council not watching what they were doing with fore protection.
    I've seen the opposite, a 6" riser that was installed with a seriously dodgy joint at a service hatch on the 6th floor. It was chocked straight to stop it dripping, with the chock supported by the service hatch.

Someone who shall remain nameless was silly enough to open the hatch to access com's cabling.

Six floors of a 5 star hotel were flooded.

The insurance company spent a LOT of time and effort attempting to construct alternative facts regarding the above summary of events.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    Lol, the way you talk you don't sound too poor yourself, maybe you are even richer than Bob.
    i'm richer than all y'all.

fuckall jewgold though.

Thread Information