Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Are property investors the scourge of the earth?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    As much as renters need improved tenure and better living standards......

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12132076

Crunching the numbers in Auckland I can't see how you can rent a $1 000 000 house for $600 a week.

40% deposit is 400K ( if you need to have one).

600K at 4.5 % is 27K ($519.00 PW)

then you have insurances, rates, maintenance and so on.

Add the cost of heatpumps and insulation on top of that.

And now pets.

Bloody greedy landlords....
    No no, Auckland landlords are supposed to be cashed up former Waikato dairy farmers that want a small safe return on the millions they got for the farm.
    If you only have 400k, best to buy four 200k houses in wanganui with a 400k mortgage & get a better overall result with relatively low risk.
    You guys probably aren't aware, but if you just keep driving when you get to Manakau the road keeps going & they have whole towns & houses for sale & all sorts of cool stuff.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    No no, Auckland landlords are supposed to be cashed up former Waikato dairy farmers that want a small safe return on the millions they got for the farm.
    If you only have 400k, best to buy four 200k houses in wanganui with a 400k mortgage & get a better overall result with relatively low risk.
    You guys probably aren't aware, but if you just keep driving when you get to Manakau the road keeps going & they have whole towns & houses for sale & all sorts of cool stuff.
    I had a drive around Whanganui a few weeks ago, some good buys there and a great Japanese restaurant and craft beer bar on Ingestre St.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/property/r...ecdb23524b94a9
    $195K

DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    motocompo
    I had a drive around Whanganui a few weeks ago, some good buys there and a great Japanese restaurant and craft beer bar on Ingestre St.

]
    You are aware we will look back on craft beers the same way as we look at mullets & brick phones now.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    You are aware we will look back on craft beers the same way as we look at mullets & brick phones now.
    Lol. i guffawed into my triple shot soy latte!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

Craft Beer has been around for ages, the Europeans just call it beer.
    When touring around Europe for 4 months in the Summer of '89 tried lots from Belgian Sour/cherry beers,German Weiss Biers, French crap like 1664/33 that used to get on day trips to Calais and Dunkirk, Czech Pilseners, Engish ales and Irish Porters ( other than Guinness).

I was only here for 4 years of my 20's so 'missed' a lot of the local 80's/90's, once I got my Trade Cert I was off.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    2000 Ducati 996S MY01
    We've got a bit of a housing crisis over here. An increasing number of homeless people and most of that is attributed to investors buying up properties and spiking the market and fucking AirBNB. The number of properties which have been rentals for years and years and years who are turfing out their tenants so that they can just use their house as an AirBNB is crazy! Similarly, the number of properties being bought specifically to turn them into AirBNB's instead of renting or being bought by locals to live in is stupidly high as well.

I've got no beef with people buying houses to rent them out, or buying houses to do them up and sell them on. I've just got a problem with people who buy properties and then make them inaccessible for the people who could/want to live there.
    2001 Ducati 996S || 2008 Yamaha CygnusX
    FaceBrick

Bike
    Sold
    When touring around Europe for 4 months in the Summer of '89 tried lots from Belgian Sour/cherry beers,German Weiss Biers, French crap like 1664/33 that used to get on day trips to Calais and Dunkirk, Czech Pilseners, Engish ales and Irish Porters ( other than Guinness).

I was only here for 4 years of my 20's so 'missed' a lot of the local 80's/90's, once I got my Trade Cert I was off.
    This country was dotted with little Breweries until the monopolists bought them all out and closed them down in favour of their own (boring) product!

Nice trend today with "boutique" breweries popping up all over the place again. Producing some very palatable products too. : - . Choice every time!

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    As much as renters need improved tenure and better living standards......

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12132076

Crunching the numbers in Auckland I can't see how you can rent a $1 000 000 house for $600 a week.

40% deposit is 400K ( if you need to have one).

600K at 4.5 % is 27K ($519.00 PW)

then you have insurances, rates, maintenance and so on.

Add the cost of heatpumps and insulation on top of that.

And now pets.

Bloody greedy landlords....
    Nah - you deduct the net-loss you are making on the property from the gross profit you are making on your other business, therefore paying tax on a smaller amount of profit from your other business. Which means you are effectively increasing your equity for free...
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Nah - you deduct the net-loss you are making on the property from the gross profit you are making on your other business, therefore paying tax on a smaller amount of profit from your other business. Which means you are effectively increasing your equity for free...
    Unless they change those rules as well, and go back to ring fencing losses to write off against future profits....

I don't know how things are in the rest of the country, but where I live nobody is too concerned about that, as the losses aren't huge and most people will be able to live without a tax refund of a couple of thousand on each property. The interesting part of the rental loss equation is the fact that there is a house available for someone to live in for a total cost to the taxpayer of around $2k per year, if HNZ can do it for that then they should get on with it.

If landlords keep getting out of the market and the houses go on the market I suspect it will be my kids and their mates who will be buying them, there will be a pretty large number of tenants that regardless of what's for sale aren't and may never be in a position to be able to buy, so the state will have to provide housing for them as well as the current waiting list.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    motocompo

I recently realised one of my closest mates has turned into a craft beer swilling, bearded hipster.
    Heres a pic of him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	339116  

Bike
    Exercycle
    I recently realised one of my closest mates has turned into a craft beer swilling, bearded hipster.
    Heres a pic of him.
    He's young, there's time to adjust him....Don't think I'd have been game to jump that thing quite so high. Didn't I see that the frame was built by the poms ?

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    Unless they change those rules as well, and go back to ring fencing losses to write off against future profits....

I don't know how things are in the rest of the country, but where I live nobody is too concerned about that, as the losses aren't huge and most people will be able to live without a tax refund of a couple of thousand on each property. The interesting part of the rental loss equation is the fact that there is a house available for someone to live in for a total cost to the taxpayer of around $2k per year, if HNZ can do it for that then they should get on with it.

If landlords keep getting out of the market and the houses go on the market I suspect it will be my kids and their mates who will be buying them, there will be a pretty large number of tenants that regardless of what's for sale aren't and may never be in a position to be able to buy, so the state will have to provide housing for them as well as the current waiting list.
    thats the other side of the attractive tax regime...if the private lanlord doesnt buy houses and rent them out.....who will?

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Heres a pic of him.
    Too much hops?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Sure we had a housing crisis thread somewhere..... anyhow apparently we’ve been doing it all wrong....

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/opini...nising-housing

I love reading extremist left wing opinion pieces, never fails to give a chuckle at the stupendously ridiculous idea so they have.
    I completely understand the maori tradition and protocol around this stuff and was prob highly relevant in traditional living arrangements on Marae or pa were they didn’t have things like doors or sound insulated walls etc
    But to say this applies in modern setting and we need to “decolonize” housing is crazy. Yes catering for large families is a valid point but hey as a country we need to work with what weve got.
    As always if anyone’s unhappy with a FREE service they can apply for a refund immediately....
    What she doesn’t realise is peasant level Pākehā would have had same ideals at one stage too but practically trumps previous norms when technology/construction negates the original issue.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Thread Information