Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future of Work

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando

The Future of Work

Went to a Humanity and Machine Symposium today.

There were some good speakers, from Facebook to John Spence.

Seemed to think that Dairy, Tourism and Wine was not ever going to build a good economy and need to get a techy educated

population. NZ is too far away but suited an on-line economy.

One of the speakers who I gather probably did all right in the tech world said he had sold everything, lived using Uber, Air B

and B, some on line credit bitcoin app and Facebook.

They say 30% of jobs will be done by machines by 2025.

Example was self flying plane, robots unloading and drones delivering, you have probably seen the burger flipper robot, and a

lot of driving jobs.

I do wonder with the reduced tax base who will actually be buying all the stuff that robots can then do?

Will robots pay tax?

Millennials will probably be calling more of the shots with not wanting to do what boring old Baby Boomers did....they want

'meaningful jobs", " work life balance" ," Nice Work Spaces" and so on.....

The Tesla they had on display interested me until I asked the only important question I ever ask about cars....how much?

$180 000.00...... could be a while till it drops to my 10 years and $10K A to B car purchase price limit.

The Pinot Gris and Asian/Italian Fusion food was quite nice
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Sold
    I would have found that interesting too - but probably not for the reasons that the presenters might have thought.

Could I steal a little bit of your new thread by asking - do electric cars pay road user charges?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Did they say anything about the future of trades ? Unless all houses for example are factory made and identical, there's still a need for plumbers and sparky's as just two examples....

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    It may not affect me but I do have concerns. Somebody has to come up with an idea about how the people who lose their jobs will live. At the moment the plan seems to be for the "haves" to surround their homes with walls patrolled by armed guards. Don't laugh. After hurricane Katrina in the USA one gated community was protected by Israeli mercenaries armed with automatic weapons.

The only plan in evidence in the UK seems to be to abuse the uneployed and cut their benefits. And Britain is about to lose a lot more jobs to Europe.

In Godzone apathy rules, we'll be OK for a while, but...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    I do wonder with the reduced tax base who will actually be buying all the stuff that robots can then do?

Will robots pay tax?

Millennials will probably be calling more of the shots with not wanting to do what boring old Baby Boomers did....they want

'meaningful jobs", " work life balance" ," Nice Work Spaces" and so on.....
    Aye. Work Life Balance.

Compared to a generation ago it's already well past 30%, and I see a lot of people complaining that all this automation is taking jobs. Most of those jobs were increasingly difficult to get people to do though. See: Work Life Balance.

You might not find a job filling cartons with widgets any more but it's not real hard, you just have to find something to do that someone's willing to pay for. More work: More pay.

Now THAT'S how Work Life Balance really works.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Someone's got to design and maintain these automated systems. If I had children I would push them to be as techie or hands on as much as possible. Our schooling systems need to move with the times. Cursive writing, Religious education classes would be better replaced by coding or practicle skills. I can still see people being able to find niche markets as carpenters, metal workers etc..
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    I would have found that interesting too - but probably not for the reasons that the presenters might have thought.

Could I steal a little bit of your new thread by asking - do electric cars pay road user charges?
    Yes they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Did they say anything about the future of trades ? Unless all houses for example are factory made and identical, there's still a need for plumbers and sparky's as just two examples....
    I thought about that one too, suspect as they can now print out houses, they can make the electrics and plumbing robot friendly too. They showed these Army Dogs that were robots, could carry lots, run faster than men for up to 40 hours too.

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    It may not affect me but I do have concerns. Somebody has to come up with an idea about how the people who lose their jobs will live. At the moment the plan seems to be for the "haves" to surround their homes with walls patrolled by armed guards. Don't laugh. After hurricane Katrina in the USA one gated community was protected by Israeli mercenaries armed with automatic weapons.

The only plan in evidence in the UK seems to be to abuse the uneployed and cut their benefits. And Britain is about to lose a lot more jobs to Europe.

Unless you plan on being deceased it will affect you...robot looking after you in home.

They also showed a robot machine gun that did not miss and a recovery one that was bullet resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Aye. Work Life Balance.

Compared to a generation ago it's already well past 30%, and I see a lot of people complaining that all this automation is taking jobs. Most of those jobs were increasingly difficult to get people to do though. See: Work Life Balance.

You might not find a job filling cartons with widgets any more but it's not real hard, you just have to find something to do that someone's willing to pay for. More work: More pay.

Now THAT'S how Work Life Balance really works.
    Seems they want to raise the minimum wage from $7.50 to $15, robots work 24/7 and don't need money.
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Mashie ... Front and center

Sent from my SC-01G using Tapatalk
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    This thread is promising to be gold ......

"Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

It's hardly a new phenomenon mate. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone working as a weaver, but there's a hell of a lot of jobs available now that weren't a century ago, and most of them don't knock a decade off your lifespan.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Have a look a 3d printed houses , I'm not sure of the details but I'm kinda guessing the electrical and plumbing will be formulated , as our house here was , it's an all wooden house but mass produced , you get to choose the look , ( 1950 state homes hahaha)
    So all u would need it a trained chimpanzee, to install water and Sparks

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    It's hardly a new phenomenon mate. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone working as a weaver, but there's a hell of a lot of jobs available now that weren't a century ago, and most of them don't knock a decade off your lifespan.
    If I had a kid I'd advise them to learn how to write code.

Leaving aside porters, weavers, thatchers, miners, tanners, fletchers and other olde worlde jobs for now...

Before I retired I was looking at some old files, many of the jobs that were available in the early 70s when there was full employment are just not there anymore. Freezing works, car assembly plants, woollen mills, the toll room, most of the retail jobs in town are gone. Many of the people that might have done them aren't doing something else, they are on the dole. And so in some cases are their kids.

I note that in the US, experts keep saying Trump is mistaken in thinking that all of the lost jobs there went overseas. Increasing numbers are being lost to automation.

The agrarian sector is not immune. For some time now dairy farm herd sizes have reportedly been at about the upper limit of what a couple can handle. The concern was that corporate farming would take over and that is now rearing its head. There will be a lot less farms with a lot less jobs and the jobs will not all be hugely fulfilling.

We need to come up with a better way to use the people that aren't working and another way for solo mums to improve their situation without having another kid.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian d marge View Post
    Mashie ... Front and center

ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa... tech unemployment can be mitigated, but not "solved". 7000 accountancy and invoicing positions being replaced by automation at Walmart. That's one company. Mucho mula for the tax collectors.

Bill Gates and his taxing robots is worth the lulz should ye wish a look see.

Tesla predicting that govts will be forced to turn to UBI is another that's worth the lulz.

Millennials v's Baby Boomers. Divide and conquer buzz words for plebs.

Much better to pay the people who used to do the jobs the money and let the merry go round continue i.e. the daily consumption of those individuals and the many economies that they support (something that's completely ignored coz narrative). And although that'd see Ocean having a conniption fit, it's by far the most sensible solution to prevent economic instability. Anyhoo, we should get used to losing Ocean's coz business knows nuttin when it comes to externalities coz so long as they pay for resources they believe that it's ok to carry on as usual despite over-consumption on a finite planet. Such myopia is to be expected given the confirmation bias that drives single cell thinkers.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Farming was mentioned, Monsanto I think he said can put nano computer chips in seeds and the seeds send back info so the

farmer can water, weed, weedkill etc.

He said " Once the Farmer sees how well this works they are hooked"......I got the impression this was seen as a good

thing

People probably fear AI and Robots after the many Hollywood movies they said, and drew a comparison between them and

Nuclear. In the 50's, 60's and 70's it was seen as potentially the end of the world and you heard things like " enough

weapons to destroy all life on planet", which they said was actually not true and other than a couple of oppsies nuclear power

has done a lot of good.

All this information was delivered as facts, and there was lots of ohhh and ahhhing.

Apparently the Google self drive car has done over a million miles and only one crash, and you can fit more on the road as

they have better reaction times.

Can't say I was too impressed after all this catching the train home and the fecking ticket machine working up to the

payment part then stopping....had to resort to talking to person behind counter. At least my Wife drive car was waiting to

pick me up at the other end

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand finally. Telling kids to learn how to write code . There are already all sorts of shite attempts at creating tools that BA's can use to generate code, but they do work(ish) and would certainly remove the need for yet more programmers. Also, programs are already being designed to recognise and use existing code to fulfill that which programs need, so it won't take too long for programs to write programs. Even if that adheres to the pareto principle, that's still a feckload less programmers required. Ya may as well lump DBA's and testers in that too. Le sigh. Tis a brave new world. Shame too many prefer the old one coz waaaaaaaa.
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Thread Information