Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heated Gloves

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Tourmaster Snyrgy via Revzilla, there are two versions, get the ones I got, LEATHER. Gave them good snow seal when I got them and they have good rain gaiter cuffs on them.
    Only use them in the coldest of cold as on there own the heavy leather construction is quite warm but good finge feel for controls though.
    Yes I would buy them again.
    Used them Friday night northbound from Napier over the Taupo rd at 8pm-930pm, outside temp was about 3 deg I think plus windchill excellent. For comparison my textile gear had winter lining in, one merino baselayer, one wool singlet, one t shift and one thin merino jersey, merino leggings and wool socks. Was equally warm across whole body.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Gloves arrived today (Impressed, only 4 days from Australia). They are Chinese made (what isn't?) nice enough as gloves go, batteries fit into a pocket under the wrist. about three hours to charge, then fitted and tried on. A snug fit - using the supplied sizing chart I am a "large" -I wouldn't mind a wee bit more room inside but ok. They have a push button switch on the back, cycles through off low med high with appropriate colour indicator. Warm up really quickly with heat to the back of the hand and right down to the fingertips. Claimed battery life on high is two hours. It should be possible to find a power supply that can do 7 volts and run them from the bike battery but that means being attached to the bike with cables and so on.
    You have had these for 5 weeks now, can you give us an update?
    How good are they on low or medium?
    How long are the batteries lasting in normal usage for you?

I'm considering these gloves for my ride to work which I do around 3 - 3:30am on weekdays. In winter it can be pretty cold in the Waikato at 3am and often foggy unless there is a good frost and it is too cold for fog. I have heated grips which really help a lot but gloves that heat the tops of my fingers would really boost the warmth. It takes me less than 30 minutes to get to work (35km from door to door) and I wouldn't need heated gloves for the ride home. If I could charge the batteries every weekend and get some heat in my hands each morning then that would be absolutely perfect for me!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

I'm considering these gloves for my ride to work which I do around 3 - 3:30am on weekdays. In winter it can be pretty cold in the Waikato at 3am and often foggy unless there is a good frost and it is too cold for fog. I have heated grips which really help a lot but gloves that heat the tops of my fingers would really boost the warmth. It takes me less than 30 minutes to get to work (35km from door to door) and I wouldn't need heated gloves for the ride home. If I could charge the batteries every weekend and get some heat in my hands each morning then that would be absolutely perfect for me!
    I have handguards for winter as well as heated grips and its ok maybe try them to.

Ive got these http://www.barkbusters.net/products/storm

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries

Sorry, the bike had a moment* while down south and sort of took precedence. Anyway I found the gloves worked well. Batteries lasted 2 1/2 hours on high, but mostly I had them on low, and upped the temps only as needed (eg in the snow on Dansey pass). The KLR has hand guards, plus Oxford heated grips so all in all my hands remained very comfortable. (now, about those toes...) There was a bit of rain and they didn't leak. Quite satisfied with the purchase. If I could find the correct sized connector I would make power outlets for each hand grip, so they could be plugged in directly with a cable, and some sort of breakaway plug.

*not long into the trip (Nelson) there was a bang and a lurch. Stopping to inspect didn't reveal anything and as all seemed to be working ok, carried on. Closer inspection once home, about 2300kms later, revealed a gearbox dog had broken off and been smacked into the crankcase by the conrod. Rod has a big graze on the front by the bigend, case has a small hole in the front. Motor and gearbox ran perfectly the entire trip.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I found the gloves worked well. Batteries lasted 2 1/2 hours on high, but mostly I had them on low, and upped the temps only as needed (eg in the snow on Dansey pass). The KLR has hand guards, plus Oxford heated grips so all in all my hands remained very comfortable. (now, about those toes...) There was a bit of rain and they didn't leak. Quite satisfied with the purchase. If I could find the correct sized connector I would make power outlets for each hand grip, so they could be plugged in directly with a cable, and some sort of breakaway plug.
    Thanks for that info.

My DR650 has Oxford heated grips and Barkbusters Storm guards, my ST1300 has the Oxford heated grips but not the guards although the mirrors and bodywork do deflect some of the cold air. Last year was OK but the year before we had some quite heavy frosts, if we get frosts like that again it will be a bit cold at 3am on the bike. I don't see the point in being uncomfortable. I do ride all year round regardless of weather so I'm on the bike each weekday morning regardless of rain, frost or fog.

Looking at the accessories I see that they have spare batteries for sale and also a 12v charger for them - it would be easily possible to run the heat continuously if needed. I'm not a fan of being wired to the bike, that would be a nuisance compared to battery powered IMO.
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    You could get away without the 7volt power supply by running the two gloves in series, that'll put 6 volts in each glove, as long as both gloves are at the same heat setting.
    yip and a real good way to fuck them, supplying under voltage increases the current drawn and they are likely designed to be minimum wire size to handle the correct voltage, 6 volts versus 7 is 14% overload although in saying that a good charging system will be around 13.8 volts anyway, what wattage are they as depending on that you'll need to apply the correct size feed cable, or more voltage drop and here we go again

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    yip and a real good way to fuck them, supplying under voltage increases the current drawn and they are likely designed to be minimum wire size to handle the correct voltage, 6 volts versus 7 is 14% overload although in saying that a good charging system will be around 13.8 volts anyway, what wattage are they as depending on that you'll need to apply the correct size feed cable, or more voltage drop and here we go again
    Nah, sorry mate. You're muddling voltage with resistance.
    Ohms Law. Look it up. Have you still got your old Jennison or ET&P? You'll find it in the early easy chapters on DC circuits...

Poor old Cass has trouble with this too...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    suzuki
    oops, using the wrong calc!

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements

High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that info.

My DR650 has Oxford heated grips and Barkbusters Storm guards, my ST1300 has the Oxford heated grips but not the guards although the mirrors and bodywork do deflect some of the cold air. Last year was OK but the year before we had some quite heavy frosts, if we get frosts like that again it will be a bit cold at 3am on the bike. I don't see the point in being uncomfortable. I do ride all year round regardless of weather so I'm on the bike each weekday morning regardless of rain, frost or fog.

Looking at the accessories I see that they have spare batteries for sale and also a 12v charger for them - it would be easily possible to run the heat continuously if needed. I'm not a fan of being wired to the bike, that would be a nuisance compared to battery powered IMO.
    The batteries need to be unplugged from the glove to connect to the charger. I bought the 12 v charger with the gloves and have a cig lighter socket on the bike to plug it into. I suppose a second pair of batteris could be on charge while the first set are in use.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    BMW R850RT
    Quote Originally Posted by rustys View Post
    "Rain Offs" over normal gloves is the way to go.
    [Panto]"On no it isn't!"[/]

Youre confusing keeping heat in, which you can't win forever, with adding heat to replace that lost.

I thunk the op mentioned a particular injury which needed to be kept warm.

Bike
    2012 VFR800
    I also have a pair of Tourmaster Snyrgy. These gloves are warm and comfortable.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    My Zarkie Epic 2.0 gloves should arrive this week. I decided to just order the gloves and see how it goes, I'll decide later if I need a 12V charger or spare battery.
    Now we will probably have a very mild winter and I wont need the heated gloves.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Thread Information