Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heated Gloves

Bike
    Suzuki GSX S1000

Heated Gloves

Who uses them? Battery or wired? Hows the battery life?
    Would you buy the same ones you have now again?
    Looking for recommendations for my wife who gets cold and sore hands and wrists since her accident.

Bike
    '18 V-Strom 650
    Acquired some RST Heated Gloves last winter.
    I use them for the 60km commute into town during winter, down to about -2. Below that temperature, there are sections of road that I have ice issues with and take the 4WD (for the external crumple zones).
    The gloves are powered by 7.4 v lithium polymer batteries and have three temperature settings (55, 70, 85 degrees) - I've only ever used the lowest settings and even then, the gloves are pretty good without the battery assistance. On the lowest settings, I get about 3 hrs usage (which equates to about 4 trips into town). Don't need them for the return trip as it's (usually) a bit warmer. Recharge time from dead flat is 5 hrs(ish).
    The advertising blurb says not to crush the fingers (which house the heating elements); that wind chill will affect the heat output; and that they are not designed to (oops...ah well, should have read that bit last year) be used in the wet.
    Downside? They are thick and have diminished feel over less insulated gloves - goes with the territory, I guess. Beats not being able to move frozen fingers/hands.
    Expensive? Reasonably, but probably about the same as having heated grips fitted, and they stay with you when you sell the bike.
    Yes, I'd definitely buy them again.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

Bike
    Sold
    I have the Gerbing G3. The wiring harness runs between my jacket shell and liner and plugs in to an electrical connection coming out from under the seat. There is a small temperature controller clipped to my jacket. I suffer from cold hands and absolutely love them. Had them for 2 winters now and wouldn't be without them.

Here's a link to some photos and my installation (same bike as yours): http://geoffjames.blogspot.co.nz/201...pdate-and.html

Bike
    ES XTZ
    I had gloves from these people ( http://www.heatedclothing4u.com/gerbinggyde-12v )mine were coreheat 12. Batt life was 1hr20 tops at highest setting which I thought was crap and told them so,
    they agreed and sent me some new Lithium ones but I paid freight.

In the mean time I used the hard wired to bike battery connection , the heat barely kept up but you can use them in the rain..If my bike had handguards they may have been ok.

I never used the replacement batts but gave them to my sister when she was over and they are used
    now for heating her vests either on her bike or when hunting.

Heat on the back of your hands is nice and I reckon they would be fine for a passenger as their hands
    are more tucked in.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Ordered a pair of Epics from these guys today.https://www.zarkie.com.au/heated-glo...owered-gloves/

Hopefully they will arrive before the Brass (leaving 1st june). Also ordered the cig lighter socket charger so I can recharge at the site
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    moped
    "Rain Offs" over normal gloves is the way to go.

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Ordered a pair of Epics from these guys today.https://www.zarkie.com.au/heated-glo...owered-gloves/

Hopefully they will arrive before the Brass (leaving 1st june). Also ordered the cig lighter socket charger so I can recharge at the site
    I'm keen to hear how these go.
    I hate cold hands.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Gloves arrived today (Impressed, only 4 days from Australia). They are Chinese made (what isn't?) nice enough as gloves go, batteries fit into a pocket under the wrist. about three hours to charge, then fitted and tried on. A snug fit - using the supplied sizing chart I am a "large" -I wouldn't mind a wee bit more room inside but ok. They have a push button switch on the back, cycles through off low med high with appropriate colour indicator. Warm up really quickly with heat to the back of the hand and right down to the fingertips. Claimed battery life on high is two hours. It should be possible to find a power supply that can do 7 volts and run them from the bike battery but that means being attached to the bike with cables and so on.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    A
    There's a difference between heated grips and heated gloves though. With hot grips only the inner part of the hand ends up being warm, so you can still get a wind chill happening on the outside, especially the fingertips unless you're running a barkbuster type of bar protector. I know that Blackbird fella uses heated gloves plugged into an accessory outlet on the bike, for serious mile munching in dubious weather.

Nothing wrong at all with using heated gloves or a vest, if that makes your ride more comfy

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    It should be possible to find a power supply that can do 7 volts and run them from the bike battery but that means being attached to the bike with cables and so on.
    You could get away without the 7volt power supply by running the two gloves in series, that'll put 6 volts in each glove, as long as both gloves are at the same heat setting.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Hmm that could work. What would be good would be power connectors like the Apple Macs used (magsafe) so they break away when pulled. I feel a project coming on...
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    We'll help...
    First you need to go on a shopping expedition at Jaycar and buy enough shit to fill up all the clear areas on the bench

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Explain this "clear area on the bench" thing. That hasn't happened in living memory.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Explain this "clear area on the bench" thing. That hasn't happened in living memory.
    Oh. Sometimes after a tremor the stuff on the bench sorta self-levels and you can cover it with a sheet...
    But dig out the side covers from that fixer-upper first, they're good for collecting odd nuts and bolts, mixing epoxy etc

Thread Information