Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kiwi commuters

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    I'm new to motorcycling, and have only started commuting to Auckland CBD for about 4 weeks now. I see fewer motorcycles on the same road as weather is becoming cooler. Today being the coldest morning so far, just about noone was visible.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    I'm new to motorcycling, and have only started commuting to Auckland CBD for about 4 weeks now. I see fewer motorcycles on the same road as weather is becoming cooler. Today being the coldest morning so far, just about no one was visible.
    Was it foggy where you were?

Seriously, as long as you are warm, including hands and feet, then a morning like this morning is a great commute.... unless you're coming in from the west into the rising sun...

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post

Seriously, as long as you are warm, including hands and feet, then a morning like this morning is a great commute.... unless you're coming in from the west into the rising sun...
    Twas a pearler in Auck this morning to be sure! My Barkbusters Blizzard handguards may look a bit naff, but they really come into their own on a morning like this morning. No need for bar warmers

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    You do realise that someone that lives in Alaska year round could probably say the same to you?
    Yep, but then it would be Worldbiker not Kiwibiker and I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Foggy morning, not looking forward to it based on the way bus drivers go.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    One of the guys on the course yesterday asked if there was a way to sue NZTA for the piles of gravel that make road works so bloody unsafe for bikes.

In addition, the council here grits the roads in winter in the interests of road safety.

I told him that until there are a lot more bikes using the road, we won't feature in planners thoughts much, if at all.

There's a critical mass number of riders needed before we really get much say.
    Either that or just one or two more - ridden by the planners.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Yep, but then it would be Worldbiker not Kiwibiker and I wouldn't have mentioned it.
    Touche!

I just meant that that everything needs to be in it's own context. Yes, we all know it gets cold down there. Up here we're just not used to it and may start remarking on it at a slightly higher temperature than you hardy folk of the deep south.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    It was on the good
    Fairy nuff. If tomorrow is anything like today I will be putting my long johns on under my chinos for the commute.

Bike
    2015, Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    One of the guys on the course yesterday asked if there was a way to sue NZTA for the piles of gravel that make road works so bloody unsafe for bikes.
    This has been on my mind a bit, not suing so much, but the piles of road-chip. I haven't been able to leave my street for around two months without slowing down for or avoiding loose stuff on the surface. The first time it tried to take my front wheel in a corner (new'ish rider) but somehow managed to recover it. It really should've been my first fairing scratcher.

It's not even just for bikes, I saw a little Honda Jazz lock-up the front on the same patch that almost got me. It's like marbles.

Can they not sweep it after a couple of days to reduce the hazard or something?

Edit: Back on track. I'm in Chch and commuting every day, it's cold but I don't plan on stopping. A few inches of snow or dangerous riding conditions may change that, but I'll probably still try!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by CJR View Post
    This has been on my mind a bit, not suing so much, but the piles of road-chip. I haven't been able to leave my street for around two months without slowing down for or avoiding loose stuff on the surface. The first time it tried to take my front wheel in a corner (new'ish rider) but somehow managed to recover it. It really should've been my first fairing scratcher.

It's not even just for bikes, I saw a little Honda Jazz lock-up the front on the same patch that almost got me. It's like marbles.

Can they not sweep it after a couple of days to reduce the hazard or something?

Edit: Back on track. I'm in Chch and commuting every day, it's cold but I don't plan on stopping. A few inches of snow or dangerous riding conditions may change that, but I'll probably still try!
    Who is responsible for the roads in your area? You need to contact them, best by email with a followup phone call about the road hazard to cyclists, motorcyclists and vehicles. Say what it is and what needs to be done. I understand that they then need to do something about it...

Bike
    Temperatures this morning, courtesy of the MetService, at 6am and 8am:

Auckland Central: 3°C & 5°C
    Hamilton: -2°C & -1°C
    Wellington City: 12°C & 12°C
    Christchurch City: 5°C & 6°C
    Dunedin: 8°C & 10°C

I trust the tropicals down south were enjoying their tropical temps this morning...

Bike
    Mine

I trust the tropicals down south were enjoying their tropical temps this morning...
    We had 0°C on our front porch at 8am this morning (Tuakau). Still rode in (had the glove and jacket liners and balaclava on though).

Bike
    It was on the good

I cracked the kevlar shorts out.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I cracked the kevlar shorts out.
    Should the words "cracked" and "shorts" ever appear in the same sentence?

But you do look dashing...

Bike
    GSX-R 750

Yeh, much the same temps yesterday too for my tauhei to thames run. The cold is ok, tis the fog that facks shit up as you cant just overtake everthing in your way. And therex the rsi (oos for the younger viewers) from trying to keep ze visor clear.

such fun!

Thread Information