Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiwi commuters

Bike
    KTM 1050

Kiwi commuters

Hi all,

I'm busy sitting at the airport about to return to SA from a holiday in NZ. Haven't slept since yesterday

Just wondering to myself, during the couple of days I was in Auckland and surroundings, I didn't see many motorcycle commuters. Any ideas why? I would think with that traffic it would be more popular. (As far as I know lane splitting is legal).

Btw, beautiful county you have. Kiwis are super friendly too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bike
    bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by kfc4unme View Post
    Hi all,

I'm busy sitting at the airport about to return to SA from a holiday in NZ. Haven't slept since yesterday

Just wondering to myself, during the couple of days I was in Auckland and surroundings, I didn't see many motorcycle commuters. Any ideas why? I would think with that traffic it would be more popular. (As far as I know lane splitting is legal).

Btw, beautiful county you have. Kiwis are super friendly too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It's wet - it's cold. The poor dears can't handle it.

Glad you enjoyed our country ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    It's partly because when we get on our bikes we go "fuck it, gunna take the day off and go riding instead of communting to work!"
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    S1000RR
    Thanks for calling us as Kiwis, not Nuzullundrs

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    I dont like riding in traffic or leaving my bike out in the street in the rain.. Yeah I know - I'm a woose like that but hey - I likes what I likes

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    "Live to Ride - Ride to Work"

Works for me and the DR-Z
    =mjc=

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Banditbandit View Post
    It's wet - it's cold. The poor dears can't handle it.
    You forgot to mention WINDY!

Hasn't kept me off the bike. Tuakau to CBD no matter the weather.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Faarkkkk. I have ridden in some weather but tonight is up there with the worst ever. The combination of freezing heavy rain, surface water and gusty winds was a complete prick. Each on their own no worries but the combination just made me glad to get home, to my shitty long and steep clay driveway where I nearly lost it several times.

Thank Mustaffa for red wine and whisky.

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    Been commuting on the Southern Motorway every day due almost 8 years. I feel like maybe there are a few more bikes commuting this year, but maybe it just hasn't got cold enough yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bike
    z800
    This is something I ponder daily on my commute down lane 2 1/4.

Now this is totally my opinion but I believe it's due to the silly perception that being on a motorbike is dangerous. More than not I get the comment "Isn't it dangerous" once people know I commute by bike. Clearly it is seeing I'm standing here in front of you!!

Saying this I'll prob crash tomorrow!

Motorcycles are a leasure activity these days, so not surprisinng there are less commuters, and I'm guilty there too. I commuted on a bike all through the '70's, from 1970 to 1981 when I had a job where I could walk to work. And everyone else was commuting on bikes too, central Auckland around Uni was streets full of bikes, all the students used a bike. Then I moved out of Auckland, and still commuted on a bike...currently riding 3km to work on a scooter. Bikes need to be more than a plaything before a rider will use it everyday.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2017 Triumph Bonneville
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post

Hasn't kept me off the bike. Tuakau to CBD no matter the weather.
    Amen to that; I commute 120 kms everyday into CBD rain or shine; I'm sure we've passed each other.

I see plenty of commuters in the summer and when it's not raining. I remember regos so I notice who's out there everyday (not EVERYONE because I don't lane split as fast as some of the daredevils on the Southern Motorway commute). I'm keen to see who STAYS riding throughout the cold season...

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    I'm keen to see who STAYS riding throughout the cold season...
    Cold season? Auckland? How cold does it get up there in the tropics? I am guessing you might get the odd sub 5 degree morning but I don't know.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Amen to that; I commute 120 kms everyday into CBD rain or shine; I'm sure we've passed each other.

I see plenty of commuters in the summer and when it's not raining. I remember regos so I notice who's out there everyday (not EVERYONE because I don't lane split as fast as some of the daredevils on the Southern Motorway commute). I'm keen to see who STAYS riding throughout the cold season...
    I'll still be out there every day.

Btw, you're not the bloke with his lunch strapped to the back seat are you?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Cold season? Auckland? How cold does it get up there in the tropics? I am guessing you might get the odd sub 5 degree morning but I don't know.
    Half to a dozen frosts a year maybe. Definitely still riding weather by international standards, but it seems a lot of bikers are pretty soft when it comes down to it.

Actually the cold is not really the issue. It's the ongoing rain in the winter that is probably the biggest factor for most people.

Thread Information