Thread: Oil change

Bike
    N/A

Oil change

I'm going to be doing my first oil change today and got a few questions.

I've recently got a Yamaha Scorpio and also its service manual, but looking up how to do an oil change in the book, I can't find out what size O-ring I need for the oil drain bolt. I guess I could take it off and while it's draining go to a parts store, but surely I can find the size out before taking it off?

Also, with the oil filter replacement, it says to clean with solvent. Is kerosene ok to use to clean? Do. Just buy a new oil filter or clean the old one?

Thanks a lot

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Google or youtube is most definitely your friend..

Anyhoo, seeing as I'm here. New oil and new filter, every time for me. Why risk contaminating new oil to save a scant few dollars on a filter? Use a good filter, too. Oil is blood!

I would be very surprised if your sump bolt has an O-ring, they normally have a soft washer which is generally re-usable. Well, I re-use mine without problems.

Make sure you use the specified oil, don't go and use cheap car oil. JASO MA is the commonest spec but double check.

When re-fitting the sump plug don't go gorilla on it, they are easy to strip.

Happy fettling.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    N/A
    Thanks for your reply! I saw a video on YouTube from Revzilla I think where they didn't replace but cleaned the filter. It's only $20 for a new one from super cheap auto, I'll just buy a new one

Got some kerosene to do the air filter and the manual says to use engine oil on it afterwards.

Need to buy some more engine oil but I'll do that in the same trip to super cheap.

Thanks

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Jolly good. Does your air filter need cleaning? If so, double check that kero won't dissolve the glue.

Back to oil and filter, it's the most fundamental bit of maintenance you must do for your bike.

I recently read on the internet (cue chortle..) that some of the top Japanese riders in motogymkhana change oil and filter after every practice day. They are using NSR's, TZR's, 250-400cc CBR's, VFR's, motards etc. They are still competing reliably on early nineties and late eighties bikes with this regime. I guess it's because the motors on the wee bikes carry such little oil and get pretty hot. Just a guess.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Easy way to ensure you have the correct washer and filter is to buy them from your Yamaha dealer .....

Bike
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Easy way to ensure you have the correct washer and filter is to buy them from your Yamaha dealer .....
    Good idea!

George - it's a job for next weekend. Did my air filter today and was looking at battery but not sure how to tell if it needs replacing? I can't see if it's at high or low..

Here's a pic of my battery:
    https://imgur.com/a/42Htv

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Try and shine a touch though the side of it (in a dark garage or similar) - should show the water line. Plus the battery needs to be level.

Looking at the rust around the negative terminal it would be a good idea to remove the battery and clean up the terminals. When refitting them put a bit of grease or chain oil around them to avoid future corrosion.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I wouldn't get any Kero anywhere near the oil filter area. Just wipe it with a rag. The most important part, about fitting your new oil filter, is to ensure that you rub oil into the rubber seal, all the way around. When you do it up, it doesn't need to be real tight, just hand tight.

It's a crush washer, you need on your sump bolt. I use mine half a dozen times before throwing it. Take care doing up the sump bolt. It is easy to split the pan, by over tightening it. If you are going to use a torque wrench, make sure you break it on a solid bolt, before using it on your sump.

Good luck

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack85 View Post

Also, with the oil filter replacement, it says to clean with solvent. Is kerosene ok to use to clean? Do. Just buy a new oil filter or clean the old one?

Thanks a lot
    You wouldnt per chance have a sister/mother named Cassina would you?

It's either that or you are seriously taking the piss .....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    A Japper
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    You wouldnt per chance have a sister/mother named Cassina would you?

It's either that or you are seriously taking the piss .....

It does come across as a piss take. What's stopping me think it's the other thing is there's no "advice" being offered.

Bike
    MT-10
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack85 View Post
    Thanks for your reply! I saw a video on YouTube from Revzilla I think where they didn't replace but cleaned the filter. It's only $20 for a new one from super cheap auto, I'll just buy a new one

Got some kerosene to do the air filter and the manual says to use engine oil on it afterwards.

Need to buy some more engine oil but I'll do that in the same trip to super cheap.

Thanks
    I use WD40 it cleans AND lubricates the air filter. Wouldnt hurt to squirt some in with the new oil will help keep engine clean and prolong the oil additives.

Some use it on their chain as well but thats going a bit far imo.

Thread Information