Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This seasons mice...

Bike
    '18 V-Strom 650
    Had a bit of an invasion 3-4 weeks ago. Trap and poison, poison and trap. Invasion resisted, but certainly seemed worse than last year. Doesn't help having the Selwyn at the bottom of the garden - get the much bigger rodents turning up occasionally.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    We've been here nearly 20 years now and never had a mouse problem. Possibly something to do with our breeding pedigree cats.....

But this winter we seem to have an invasion of bold bastard mice. Even seen in the catteries.
    They're obviously fat and slow as even one of our stud boys caught one.

Any other South Island members noticed an increase in numbers - and yes, I know there's a good beech mast this autumn - but I doubt if there's a Beech within 80k's of us....
    i stopped in hororata today and never saw any! popped in to see john f and wanted to catch up with you but john was at his dads farm, whipped out there and spent an hour looking at part of his stuff, incredible, had work in chch to do before flying home so ran out of time.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i stopped in hororata today and never saw any! popped in to see john f and wanted to catch up with you but john was at his dads farm, whipped out there and spent an hour looking at part of his stuff, incredible, had work in chch to do before flying home so ran out of time.
    Bugger. JF was avoiding me at the Ashvegas swap meet. I've never been invited to look out at the farm either......

Bike
    ajs 350 trials

selwyn mice

yep abundant rodents in whitecliffs, not even one of grumphs magic female cats has been able to keep up with the invasion!!!!!! need to open up the armoury me thinks!
    riding history into the future since ages ago.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by robajs View Post
    yep abundant rodents in whitecliffs, not even one of grumphs magic female cats has been able to keep up with the invasion!!!!!! need to open up the armoury me thinks!
    With your collection of bangsticks, you could turn the invasion back pretty easily....

Bike
    ajs 350 trials

the farm

the family farm has a good mixture of interesting stuff grumph, you should twist johns arm to have a look.

Bike
    ajs 350 trials
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    With your collection of bangsticks, you could turn the invasion back pretty easily....
    maybe luring the mice into a drum would work.....(black powder and fuse!)

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...my mum had the knack of keeping up with the invasions we would get at our old family home...she would pour a thin film of hot fat kept from the cooking of dead things, onto the surface of a third full bucket of water with a little flat stick balanced like a pirates plank on the lip of the bucket...they couldn't resist, she drowned hundreds of the fuckers...two minutes to reheat the fat and her bucket was ready to go again...never works for me...

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    We've got more than normal of the little fuckers over here as well. Everytime we wander down to the hayshed, we see the big ginger cat flossing.......munching steadfastly away, with a tail sticking out his mouth! Very off putting!
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I just reverted to the old style wood and sprung wire trap... the grey plastic easy set things were not cutting the mustard...more like an easy serve portion of peanut butter in a convenient position for the influx of the little shits...the little shits were taking advantage of another easy serve they thought, but they hadn't banked on my trap tuning skills...a bit of emery on the end of the trigger bar and a few tweaks with some small pliers and to fool the little shits, the peanut butter was first applied to a raisin before that was clamped on to the trigger plate with the little bendy tag pressed out just for this task...a great feeling, a little like getting rid of that little carb problem that stops you getting the last 1000 revs out of top end...making inroads into the mortality rates of the little shits now...

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...I just reverted to the old style wood and sprung wire trap... the grey plastic easy set things were not cutting the mustard...more like an easy serve portion of peanut butter in a convenient position for the influx of the little shits...the little shits were taking advantage of another easy serve they thought, but they hadn't banked on my trap tuning skills...a bit of emery on the end of the trigger bar and a few tweaks with some small pliers and to fool the little shits, the peanut butter was first applied to a raisin before that was clamped on to the trigger plate with the little bendy tag pressed out just for this task...a great feeling, a little like getting rid of that little carb problem that stops you getting the last 1000 revs out of top end...making inroads into the mortality rates of the little shits now...
    can't beat the old tried & true method. Though the best thing is to set one that wont go off and let the little fuckers get complacent with that for a few days then set it with a hair-trigger

I remember as a young fella when the oldman had horses, the stables they were at there was a older maori fella who cured a rat problem the stables had...did a live capture of one and kept in a 44 gallon drum for a few weeks, starved it for a while then started feeding it kills from other traps until it got the taste then let it go in the main shed.... once it got in amongst the others you could hear them in the walls great entertainment

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...funny thing is our mice have usually abandoned house by now as the usual two families of rats are well ensconced and scuttling around in the ceiling and walls...quite voluble at any time of day but fucking annoying after our bedtime...I have two DOC ferret traps set up in one double entry box and we usually have a rat or two every week but can never actually get them all before they have another bunch of baby rats...the new neighbours cats must be slaughtering them as we have only had one exploratory rat in and funnily enough that young fucker checked out the set but baitless DOC trap and fucked up bigtime...wafered...it had no bait as the fucking meeces can slip under the trigger plate and have a banquet set for the rats...

Bike
    The live capture traps are good for a bit entertainment
    The ex was one of the top ecotoxicologists for Landcare Research but also had a thing for ducks so we got a resident family of rats in the duck pen and a ongoing battle of wits with them; used the traps etc with limited success but fun all the same. In the end tried a home brew version of a Rodenator think the neighbours at the time thought we were setting off bombs and ended up flooding the nests out and crushing the rats as they came out with a hunk of concrete
    Makes me laugh now thinking about as the ex was actually the one who was in charge of pest eradication etc and did the majority of planning for dare I say it 1080 programs & the such like yet simple vermin got the better & we resorted to basic brutality to beat them

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well. Gotta say; Ducks are gods favoured animal. Not much Ducks can't teach you.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Well. Gotta say; Ducks are gods favoured animal. Not much Ducks can't teach you.
    funny friggin things when they get to know you that's for sure, but they've got a violent pecking order when there's a few and dominant drakes are randy as buggery...almost shag anything that moves!
    Geese are the ones though, bloody brilliant things everyone was shit scared of the two that we had the gander would even try beating up cars

Thread Information