Thread: New very tall rider

Bike
    2016 xg500

New very tall rider

Hello there!! Keeping things short and sweet. i'm all brand new to motorcycling and i'm looking for a starter bike.
    I am 1.98m and im about 107 kg. So a little bit big lol. Im so lost at the moment regarding whether to get a bike or maybe i should look at a hobby suited to taller people. Anyway thanks for reading . Any tips,, comments, insight would be appreciated cheers.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by titanstoa View Post
    Hello there!! Keeping things short and sweet. i'm all brand new to motorcycling and i'm looking for a starter bike.
    I am 1.98m and im about 107 kg. So a little bit big lol. Im so lost at the moment regarding whether to get a bike or maybe i should look at a hobby suited to taller people. Anyway thanks for reading . Any tips,, comments, insight would be appreciated cheers.
    Depends how much you have. Some bikes are purely designed for giants, such as BMW and KTM adventure bikes. Maybe have a look at LAMS Yamaha XT660Z?

Welcome to Kiwibiker

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Honda Foreman, now

eek

Or a moped maybe?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	330998

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    KLR650 LAMs version. Quite tall in standard trim and can be hade higher with raising links if needed. Good commuter as well as suitable for more adventurous stuff. Not a real trail bike, more of a "soft roader" rather than a true "off roader" but loads of fun.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Welcome to KB

As has been said, the KTMs are pretty good and you can get the foot pegs lowered, so you feel more comfortable.

The BMW is a little more reliable, but there's something for every budget.

Put yourself on a training course and have a good chat with the instructor. Feeling comforatble is very impotant, so raising/lowering kits might make a seemingly bad choice, a good one

“PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    I'm 1.85m and 100kgs, went and sat on a few learner bikes. I didn't want to change the bike after a couple of years either. 300cc / sports bikes felt uncomfortable with my knee folded. Found Yamaha XSR700 with seat height of 810mm and more upright bars and seating position. Its LAMS approved and has ABS brakes. Very happy with it. I've only been riding for only 3 months, done about 1,500 kms.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I'm about 1.9m, 110kg (fark, gotta drop that a bit ). Adventure style bikes are definitely going to be more suitable, as they're taller, otherwise upright type naked bikes.

Once you have a full licence, bikes like the BMW R1200GSA and KTM 1290 are really only suited to the larger people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I agree with the others plus with an adventure bike you have better periferal vision sitting up high. The Suzuki VStrom 650 is also a popular adventure bike and they make a LAMS model too. I have demoed one and they are easy to ride.
    Yes, the V-Strom is a contender, however it is not that tall. The stock suspension is also a bit suspect - IMO - But nothing that can't be fixed.

My Tiger's a high bike, but not a LAMS option.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    '18 V-Strom 650
    LAMS?
    1.96m/125 kgs (fully kitted).
    Have a look at the Suzuki DR650 option - the vast aftermarket will take care of you (Procycle USA, amongst others - you'll never have a discretionary dollar again):
    lowered/lowered pegs, handlebar risers; raised seat options; suspension; etc, etc.
    Or any of the other LAMS options others have suggested - that said, I have ridden both a BMW GS and a Yamaha Supertenere: felt like coming home.

Bike
    the best one
    I am 6'6 and 100kg.

Seat height is completely irrelevant (unless you are a midget). What's most important (to me) is seat to peg distance. i.e. how bent your knees are = how comfortable you will be.
    There are two easy fixes here that you will not regret spending money on. You can buy taller seats (which lift you up ~1cm-1.5cm, cost anywhere $200-600), you buy a peg adjustment bracket (~$200-400), or go all out and buy rear sets ($+600). Dropping your pegs by 1cm can change the comfort level immensely and you shouldn't worry about scrapping the ground on public r. You may need to buy toe peg extenders etc.

Next important thing (for me) is the angle of handle bars. i.e. the inward angle. You may get extra pressure on your wrists because they won't sit naturally and will flex outwards. Most bikes you can easily loosen the screws and adjust this.

I've owned and ridden various bikes. 1000cc Sports bikes I find the best and easiest to modify with a huge selection of after market parts. Adventure bikes are ok but the taller seat just means your keens are not bent as much when you stop at a traffic light. You still need to drop the pegs if you want to comfortably cover many miles.

Most comfy bike ever on long journeys was a Yamaha R1... I had a KTM Adventure and GS650, did not like the upright position. Too much pressure on lower back.

Bike
    2016 xg500

=)

Thank you all so much for all the advice. Starting to get a better picture of what i'm going to need/ go with. Thanks again.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    hope your search goes well. Some good ideas on here.
    I am a wee bit taller and heavier than you so understand your predicament. Think about what kind of riding you do, most of the suggestions above will let you do most of the kinds of riding you might be doing. Some styles of bike just will not work for you.
    Set your budget and go and talk to some dealers and sit on a few bikes. Sit on them while you are talking to them, with both feet on the pegs and hands on the bars. If you get uncomfortable during that conversation, chances are you will while riding. Best on a main stand but ok on a side stand, better than nothing.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Im 6.5 and 99.9999kg.
    I fit on most things ok.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Thread Information