Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for bike or scooter

Bike
    na

Question Recommendations for bike or scooter

Hey folks - long time reader, first time poster here. Looking for bike recommendations after moving house and rediscovering my dislike for the Auckland bus system.

Primarly looking for a commuter, but some versatility would be nice. I've ridden a couple of bikes in the past, but never bothered progressing off my learners, so needs to be LAMS approved. Also I'm a bigger guy (6'3" 120kg) so am looking for a larger frame and enough substance to get up hills and get away at the lights.

A workmate has strongly recommended I get a scooter and (reluctantly) I think he might be right. It's a 15 min ride with no motorways, so more storage, less/lighter gear and auto-transmission could be a good fit for my requirements.

On the bike side I was eying up an MT07, or maybe an SV650. For scooter options I have no idea... needs to be nimble for weaving, but still have enough power... is a Vespa 300 any good?

So questions:
    1. For my situation would you recommend a bike or a scooter?
    2. Which Bike/Scooter would you recommend?

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Have a read of this:

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/s...d.php?t=183108

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Or just save money by going E-scooters
    https://www.microscooters.co.nz/emicro-one

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    hayabusa .

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo1444 View Post
    Or just save money by going E-scooters
    https://www.microscooters.co.nz/emicro-one

$1800

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    $1800
    One off pay and you're good to go.
    No gear, No Rego, No insurance, No maintenance and finally no fuel to pay. The only thing you will pay after is some Fat burned off 😬

Bike
    2002 Ducati ST4S
    If you go for a big scooter you still have to pay the same rego fees as a motorcycle (its only the 50cc scooters that have cheap licensing costs and no wof requirement.) So if you are going to pay for all that you might aswell just go for a bike. That way you have something to take out and enjoy on the weekends etc.

I haven't ridden either of those bikes but I heard an MT07 with a decent exhaust the other day and now I want one!

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by mangere View Post
    If you go for a big scooter you still have to pay the same rego fees as a motorcycle (its only the 50cc scooters that have cheap licensing costs and no wof requirement.) So if you are going to pay for all that you might aswell just go for a bike. That way you have something to take out and enjoy on the weekends etc.
    I have a Suzuki AN125 scooter I thoroughly enjoy on the weekends. Just because its a scooter doesn't mean it cant be enjoyed.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Whether you go for a bike or a scooter, you will need the same gear - the road doesn't care what you are riding if you are unfortunate to have an off.

Also, whether you get a bike or a scooter you need to make sure that you will be comfortable on it - reading that other thread will give you some ideas about bikes and a very good piece of advice about how to check if will you be comfortable on it. Plus, are you prepared to do your own servicing and maintenance? Some will comment about having to change the belt in the CVT on a scooter, unless you go old school and get a 2-stroke Vespa, but you also need to do chain maintenance on a bike. Tyres will probably wear faster on a scooter than a bike but some new scooters have larger diameter tyres than older scooters. Are you prepared to buy used? Dealer or private?

You say about 15 minute commute - is that in a car or your estimate on a bike/scooter? If such a short commute, would a pedal cycle be another consideration?

Just a few thoughts for you to mull over...

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Sitting on the bike with both feet on the pegs and hands on bar is excellent way to check comfort. That is what confirmed to me that sports bikes are not for me.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    hayabusa .
    I thought to myself after reading the first post "I wonder how long before someone says Hayabusa? Six posts" I thought. Not far off.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    I thought to myself after reading the first post "I wonder how long before someone says Hayabusa? Six posts" I thought. Not far off.
    so... you want a medal? or a chest to pin it on?

Bike
    KTM
    Ignore your mate at work and get a decent sized bike, at 120kg you won't be doing wheelies anytime soon and you'll find most ~250 bikes (and scooters for that matter) will run out of poke before you do.

SV650 is a good option, cheap, and when you drop it not much fairing to replace.

get a givi, or non-union mexican equivalent copy, top box and you can fit your groceries and shit in there, and secure your helmet when you park in the city or whatever.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    so... you want a medal? or a chest to pin it on?
    Nah. A medal would be nice but not for my chest. I'll pin it on my dick with all my other hero medals.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Yamaha Tricity 125. Cheap reg coz nzta thinks it's a car. Easy parking.

Thread Information