Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil change

Bike
    N/A

Oil change

Doing my fist ever oil change this weekend and was wondering 2 things. Should I get an oil filter from a Yamaha dealer or will one from Supercheap Auto be ok?

Secondly, the previous owner was using 10w-40 but I checked in the owners manual and it Ai ply says API service "SE", "SF" type or equivalent. I have no idea what these are? I've googled them and they look to be the quality of the oil? Could I not use better oil like SJ or SN?

Thanks

Bike
    2012 Yamaha WR 450. 2014 Beta 300RR 2t.
    This is what I've used for years, it's motorcycle specific and good oil ( synthetic fortified) Perfect for your bike. Repco and Supercheap both sell it. I hope you realise you'll be paying more than what car oil costs.
    Your bike has a wet clutch and must use motorcyle specific oil made for a wet clutch.
    Don't be "cheap" or you'll be sorry. And don't ever run car oil, it will make your clutch slip.(not a simple fix)
    Take care when tightening drain bolt and filter housing bolts, they screw into aluminium and are easily stripped.
    Take your time.
    Good on ya for having a go.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...678307f781.jpg
    flashg

Bike
    And yes use a proper Yamaha or hiflo filter for your bike, I doubt Supercheap would stock the filter you need.
    flashg

Bike
    2015 Honda CBR650F
    API = American Petroleum Institute. SE and SF are some pretty old standards, don't worry too much about them. As mentioned, any motorcycle specific oil will be fine, just use the correct viscosity ie 10w40. Synthetic oil is a good idea IMO especially with winter looming.

4L Penrite 10w40 synthetic from Supercheap Auto for $40 ish on special is probably the best value oil. I was surprised to find they also stock HiFlo filters which are pretty good quality.

http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Prod...4-Litre/519018

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    OK, may be telling you how to suck eggs...

1. take bike for a run before you start, warms the oil so it flows out easier and better than just letting the bike sit and idle - but be aware that the oil being drained will be hot when you take out the sump plug... some people will undo the sump plug and the let the sump plug drop into the oil catching container [some are clever enough to be able to pull it out of the way without getting oil all over themselves]
    2. 2 or 3 litre milk bottle with side cut out a bit make good oil catchers + one of those aluminium oven baking trays under the bottle as well to catch any splashes or over flows - they'll all clean up and can be used again. How much oil does the bike have in the sump? [decide whether 2-litre or 3-litre milk bottle]
    3. some rags or old newspapers, just in-case
    4. something for you to knee or sit on while working, the ground is always cold
    5. measuring jug for when you're ready to put the new oil in - check you have tightened, but not over tightened, the sump plug and that the oil filter is seated properly and tight = don't over tightened either, just a bit more than finger tight
    6. when done, start engine and let idle for a couple of minutes and switch off, check for any drips or weeping at either the sump plug or the oil filter

There may be a utube vid that will help as well...

Cheers

Bike
    The Scorpio uses a paper filter same style as YZF, WR, XT, TTR etc. You'll find access foot brake side of engine, (look for small roundish cover with three bolts holding it on)
    flashg

Bike
    N/A
    I went into supercheap auto to get the oil and oil filter but I couldn't find he correct filter for my bike. I asked for assistance but the woman couldn't find my bike. I've since been onto the Hiflo site but can't find my Yamaha Scorpio sx-4w 225.

Whenever I look online to try and find thenoil filter part number I can't find it, can anybody suggest why?

Thanks

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack85 View Post
    I went into supercheap auto to get the oil and oil filter but I couldn't find he correct filter for my bike. I asked for assistance but the woman couldn't find my bike. I've since been onto the Hiflo site but can't find my Yamaha Scorpio sx-4w 225.

Whenever I look online to try and find thenoil filter part number I can't find it, can anybody suggest why?

Thanks
    Scroll down to oil filter.

http://www.mrmotorcycles.co.nz/fitme...-225-2012.aspx

Then write out 100 times. "I must search betterer".

Oh, pay attention to which way the oil filter is fitted, check the old one before you remove it. If it's like my TDM then it's blocked off at one end and it's a bit of a worry when you don't check....... Will it go pop? Don't ask me how I know this.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2015 Honda CBR650F

Bike
    suzuki

Thanks
    supercheap don't care about bikes, your yamaha dealer will though.

Bike
    2015 Honda CBR650F
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    supercheap don't care about bikes, your yamaha dealer will though.
    They'll take really good care of his wallet too while they're at it.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkNZ View Post
    They'll take really good care of his wallet too while they're at it.
    and be expected to supply all the other parts supercheap don't bother to have.
    the importers are also aware of other firms pricing on bearings and filters too so want to remain competitive
    a bit like my uber ride last weekend to the chch airport, they pulled up at mcdonalds ten full minutes walk away and told me that's as far as they go, i had three bags and don't know how i made my flight, no mention before hand that that's as far as they go.

Bike
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Scroll down to oil filter.

http://www.mrmotorcycles.co.nz/fitme...-225-2012.aspx

Then write out 100 times. "I must search betterer".

Oh, pay attention to which way the oil filter is fitted, check the old one before you remove it. If it's like my TDM then it's blocked off at one end and it's a bit of a worry when you don't check....... Will it go pop? Don't ask me how I know this.
    That's great, thanks!

I also need to do my rear sprocket and chain as it's looking worn down. I take it that link you provided shows only the parts for the Scorpio? Don't want to buy a chain and sprocket that won't fit!

Bike
    N/A
    And why does the oil filter look different than all of the other oil filters I've seen? The one in the picture on that link looks more like an air filter rather than the closed off all in one oil filters that I've seen?

As you can tell I'm very new to bikes

Bike
    suzuki
    And why does the oil filter look different than all of the other oil filters I've seen? The one in the picture on that link looks more like an air filter rather than the closed off all in one oil filters that I've seen?

As you can tell I'm very new to bikes
    quite probably a generic photo so they don't have to photgraph every item

Thread Information