Thread: Got a quick reminder today...

Bike
    Wots I gots.

Got a quick reminder today...

Wet leaves on smooth seal on a hairpin corner on the Parapara makes the riding surface more slippery than a Very Slippery Thing crossed with a greasy politician's palm on a snot-covered mirror-polished Beehive doorknob.

That is all.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    Wet leaves on smooth seal on a hairpin corner on the Parapara makes the riding surface more slippery than a Very Slippery Thing crossed with a greasy politician's palm on a snot-covered mirror-polished Beehive doorknob.

That is all.
    I thought it was Vaseline that you used on doorknobs...

Seriously, a timely reminder

because even wet leaves under foot when you come to a stop is a sphincter clenching moment...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    And beware the shaded corner when the sun is low, everything slippy lives in the shadows.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob

That is all.
    Hope you managed to stay shiny side up mate, that sharp right hander heading down below your place is bloody treacherous with the damp and autumn leaves.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

That is all.
    One hopes the rider stayed on top of the bike and not the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Thanks, yes, rubber side stayed down but more luck than skill. I was on a light bike (Vrod) and when the back started out and before I could vocalize more than 2 syllables (i.e. "Oh Sh-") we got some traction back where the seal was worn down to bits o' scoria (not that I saw that at the time, only later when I parked and walked back to, uh, collect my thoughts - yes that was it, collect my thoughts...) and we recovered with a bit of throttle from a nefariously steep angle, I believe. Not an experience I be keen to repeat.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    ...that sharp right hander heading down below your place is bloody treacherous with the damp and autumn leaves.
    It most freaking well is. I don't take the V8 bikes down the hill with cold brakes; generally head up to Gt Nth Rd via Virginia Road and go the long way round :-)

Bike
    It most freaking well is. I don't take the V8 bikes down the hill with cold brakes; generally head up to Gt Nth Rd via Virginia Road and go the long way round :-)
    Glad you came through unscathed.

I don't blame you, once was enough for me, luckily I was going down on tenterhooks, quite happy to use it during the summer, but once April arrives I definitely avoid it.

Bike
    Wots I gots.

Update on my fav closest windy road...

Went for a quick ride before sparrow-chip this morning. (just before dawn is nice because you can see nimbus and reflections from oncoming headlights before you get line-of-sight... of course the flaw in that argument as if they're running without headlights...).

Leafwise much less of a problem after the winds recently.

BUT

Paradoxically, with all but two of the most significant slips filled in to 2 lane-widths again, gotta watch out for slippery clay more than ever as cars are running through the recently repaired strips carting a lot of mud/dirt downrange, not to mention gravel.

Bike
    Went for a quick ride before sparrow-chip this morning. (just before dawn is nice because you can see nimbus and reflections from oncoming headlights before you get line-of-sight... of course the flaw in that argument as if they're running without headlights...).

Leafwise much less of a problem after the winds recently.

BUT

Paradoxically, with all but two of the most significant slips filled in to 2 lane-widths again, gotta watch out for slippery clay more than ever as cars are running through the recently repaired strips carting a lot of mud/dirt downrange, not to mention gravel.

Certainly a nice day for it, I took a run up the coast this morning and on the way back stopped at the Bason reserve gardens for a comfort stop.

I tend to wait until the suns higher in the sky, just incase the tin roofers get sunstrike.

Thread Information