Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should new tyres really be that slippery!!

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    I agree it was definitely pilot error

Another lesson for said pilot: Even partially warn tyres can slip in such situations. After 20m, the tyres will be stone cold and it is not until they have warmed up significantly that you should expect some degree of reasonable grip around bends and when moving off
    Surely that only applies to the track? A lot of commutes won't put much heat into the tyre at all unless they're way under-inflated.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    The really cunty part of this story is the repair bill. We've all had near misses and small crashes like falling off in a driveway and shit, and learned from them. But the cost!!! Just a ding in a tank or muffler, broken fairing or indicators, busted side cover... fuck it can add up!
    Not to mention all your mates laughing at you for ages, or until another mate does something dumb...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Andy View Post
    Not to mention all your mates laughing at you for ages, or until another mate does something dumb...
    I had a mate who borrowed my bike to race then crashed it. Until such a time as I crash one of his I'll always have that over him lol.

Just wondering of this was the OPs first time on new tyres? If so just wondering how many ks riding he would have actually done, i know I went through at least 4 lots of tyres just on my learners/restricted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I wonder if the axel nut was done up properly as acceleration could cause the axel to shift causing the slide out. Did grease come off on the hands of poster 1 when he examined the tire? If not it would likely be grease on the road he did not see.
    What sort of crap is this

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    I'm not sure what OP wants to hear - new tyres are slippery. The shop warned you they're slippery. You still slipped over on them. There's only so much one can do.

Great reply, the OP make a mistake, unfortunately expensive and seems to want to blame others

Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Surely that only applies to the track? A lot of commutes won't put much heat into the tyre at all unless they're way under-inflated.

Tyres heat up well on the road at correct pressure, obviously a lot more on the track but modern tyres are great, just be careful for the first 10-20km or so on new rubber

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    I once bought some new tyres from ANZA in Palmerston North. The parts man warned me that the tyres might be slippery. When I just nodded and told him I was aware of that, he was concerned I hadn't taken notice of his warning. He told me of a Harley rider who had recently bought a tyre, had received the warning, he then went to make a dramatic exit but wound up on his arse in the street right outside the shop.

I explained that I was well aware of the problem and that I was about to ride carefully to the Saddle Road to sort the matter.

Still, with all the warnings in person or on sales dockets, we might be forgiven for wondering why the shops don't clean the tyres.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Still, with all the warnings in person or on sales dockets, we might be forgiven for wondering why the shops don't clean the tyres.
    Yeah. Or why there isn't a product called 'CRC Tyre scrub' or some proprietary sander that fits onto a dynamic balancer or something.
    One of the most frustrating rides we ever do is on new tyres, taking it easy on a winding road on a sunny day...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Yes, really

Please don't be the next victim

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Crasher! The Fuckwit didn't listen! Tell her again will you, please.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    With all the new tyres I have had on my bikes I have never found them slippery when riding on a dry road which is what I only ride on until the shiny surface on them has worn off.
    Your reputation suggests you give the tyres a good wipe with dog skin to remove the release agent. Skin still attached to dog of course.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    With all the new tyres I have had on my bikes I have never found them slippery when riding on a dry road which is what I only ride on until the shiny surface on them has worn off.
    no-one gives a shit about anything you say. fuck off.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    I explained that I was well aware of the problem and that I was about to ride carefully to the Saddle Road to sort the matter.
    Saddle Road = gravel?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Saddle Road = gravel?
    At the time it was a mixture, seal in an advanced state of disrepair. Subsequently it was resealed, I have no idea what the current state of the road is, haven't been there for years.

I have a new tyre on the back now, with impressive chicken strips, it needs a trip to Whangamomona to make it respectable. There will still be chicken strips but hopefully only about half the size of what's there now.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    At the time it was a mixture, seal in an advanced state of disrepair. Subsequently it was resealed, I have no idea what the current state of the road is, haven't been there for years.

I have a new tyre on the back now, with impressive chicken strips, it needs a trip to Whangamomona to make it respectable. There will still be chicken strips but hopefully only about half the size of what's there now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17992337_1388794357830971_1390349534549726421_n.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	331159

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17992337_1388794357830971_1390349534549726421_n.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	331159
    Oi, I am quite comfortable with my tyre wear looking like that.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure

Bastards are "fixing" far too many of those roads nowadays.

Remains a good way to un-polish tyres as the bike behaves normally, (for gravel), no nasty surprises.

Getting there has become the challenge. That, and remembering how to turn the TC off.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information