Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should new tyres really be that slippery!!

Bike
    Kawasaki H2A 1973
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post

That, and remembering how to turn the TC off.
    Easier to ride a bike with no TC, an H2 perhaps

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    With all the new tyres I have had on my bikes I have never found them slippery when riding on a dry road which is what I only ride on until the shiny surface on them has worn off.
    No one here believes for a second that you've ridden enough to go through a set of tires. Please just do the right thing and fuck off.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Yes, really

Please don't be the next victim
    Not likely. I've lost count of the number of tyres I've gone through over the years. Probably averaged at least four a year since the early '80s. Compared to tyres back then modern new ones are actually reasonably sticky. I've never had a problem on any new tyres. Even the old, slippery rubber.

I've never really noticed any difference between cold and warm tyres either. Maybe it's just that modern tyres are a vast improvement on what I started on (that and the fact that I've never been a Rossi wannabe).
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Saddle Road = gravel?
    Not these days...

That said, the best advice I got was go on a shingle road.
    The tyre burys itself in a straight line, removes all the stuff they put on it and you know you have no traction from chemical grip anyway (that is how a road tyre works).

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Just because I ride slower than most on here it does not mean my tires never wear out..
    Bet the damn things have gone off before you replace them....probably as hard as buggery

The boys at Pitlane chch when they were still going at Manchester St used to wipe new tires down with brake cleaner all the time just from the fact they were sick of know-it-all chumps launching their bikes down the road because of fresh tires & then coming back squealing that it was the shops fault

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Bet the damn things have gone off before you replace them....probably as hard as buggery

The boys at Pitlane chch when they were still going at Manchester St used to wipe new tires down with brake cleaner all the time just from the fact they were sick of know-it-all chumps launching their bikes down the road because of fresh tires & then coming back squealing that it was the shops fault

How do you tell if they have gone off?

The standard 5 yrs then chuck em out still apply today?

edit: Bugger, I probably should have checked the search function first, so Akzle don't give me a telling off, lol.

http://motorcycleinfo.org/2008/06/motorcycle-tires-age/

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    How do you tell if they have gone off?

The standard 5 yrs then chuck em out still apply today?

edit: Bugger, I probably should have checked the search function first, so Akzle don't give me a telling off, lol.

http://motorcycleinfo.org/2008/06/motorcycle-tires-age/
    Who? Na man, Dave's not here!
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer

Question

I have a worse story. I bought a brand new Kawasaki ZX6r in 2008. I rode about 8-9 Kms from the dealers to town, to buy a radar detector mount. Riding very gingerly and giving the Bridgestone BT15s of death all due respect. After about 3-4 Kms I turned right at an intersection and found myself horizontally in the far gutter, bike beside me! My fault somehow, expensive lesson. Cost the insurance co 7K and me my excess. Got the bike back all repaired and quickly got it to the 1000kms service point. The night before I was due to take it in, I was putting it on my j hook bike lift, I slipped and the bike fell over into my bucket. Another 7k and excess. I decided soon after that Kawasakis and me just were not to be! Sold bike and stand!

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    It's irresponsible of the shops not to wash the mould release substance off after fitting the tyre.
    Wash a new tyre with brakleen & have a look at what's on the rag once the brakleen has evaporated.
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    I'm with bob, brake clean will not damage the tyres.
    I'm with Bob too. Been doing this to the tyres I've fitted in the last 9 years and never had one slip. Except the day I picked up my 1290 from the dealer. Should've gone down there armed with the Brakleen.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    I actually thought the tire was faulty when it started to wear to one side but I was told this by someone else that it was due to road camber.
    Its a mix of road camber, plus taking right hand curves quicker, including exiting roundabouts quicker
    http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/motor...on-right-side/

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Its a mix of road camber, plus taking right hand curves quicker, including exiting roundabouts quicker
    Really? I myself take it pretty easy while going round the roundabout, but use much more throttle when I'm exiting. But I exit roundabouts to the left... where do you go...?
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Frodo, please feeding strays only means they "Come Back"!
    It knows not of which it speaks.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Going back to the OP, if it's hard to understand, it's probably because the riders perception is slightly different to reality.

Power applied overcame the grip of the tyre. Either the tyre was too slippery, or the power applied was too much.

New set of Metzler Z01s for me last week. Rode the bike conservatively, but then, I normally do anyway. No problems.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Rode the bike conservatively, but then, I normally do anyway. No problems.
    That would seem to suggest that if you ride conservatively, you won't have a problem? Because that's just not true.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    That would seem to suggest that if you ride conservatively, you won't have a problem? Because that's just not true.
    Fair enough. But I think rastuscat means 'more conservatively' than accelerating from a standstill while turning fast enough to have a minor highside before even getting to the other side of the intersection, all within 20 metres of the tyre shop...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Thread Information