Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Should new tyres really be that slippery!!

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Many moons ago I had new rear tyre put on the FZR250R. Busy afternoon traffic and not many gaps in the traffic.
    Pulling out of old Jack Burn motors on carlyle st gave it bit extra power (in relative terms lol) as it was one of those steeply cambered roads making it an uphill type takeoff.
    I then proceeded to gracefully lowside in spectacular style in front of cop car. Thankfully this was back in the day where he just laughed hysterically and drove off after I got my shit out of the way without feeling the need to ticket me.

Over the years i've found most tyres are not so bad these days, maybe its with smaller consignments getting dirtied and scuffed around in courier vans taking bit of the muck off.

But yeah caution always required, I'll often drop the tyre pressure slightly for very short period too.
    The DR650 is a hoot to scrub tyres in. Often I forget and you just supermotard drfit around the first roundabout till it gently hooks up and job done, well on that side of tyre anyway
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Going back to the OP, if it's hard to understand, it's probably because the riders perception is slightly different to reality.

Power applied overcame the grip of the tyre. Either the tyre was too slippery, or the power applied was too much.

New set of Metzler Z01s for me last week. Rode the bike conservatively, but then, I normally do anyway. No problems.
    Most likely scenario described above.

Haven't had an issue of new tyres being overly slippery in the last couple of decades really. Just treat new tyres like a new girlfriend, start off cautious before getting freaky...

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Was told by a couple of different shops I'd dealt with in the 80s to be cautious for the 1st couple hundred kms with new tires but I soon overcame that scenario by actually going for a decent long ride after getting the tires fitted and then at least the tires would get properly heated up and get a nice even scrub up; I'd arrange for fitting to be done in the mornings and then head-out for the afternoon somewhere...always worked a treat and it's basically the same principle as a new bike....If you want to get to know it properly make the first ride a good long bugger
    Only ever once fell into the trap of experiencing really slippery fresh tires and that was a one off experiment with some cheap arse Cheng Shins because they were using a Yokohama pattern that wasn't available any more......soon found out why they got the nick-name chin slicks

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    I haven't noticed a problem with new tyres myself but how do you people who scrub tyres scrub the sides? I mean how can you take it easy when you are on the edge of the tyre?

Cheers

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    Was told by a couple of different shops I'd dealt with in the 80s to be cautious for the 1st couple hundred kms with new tires but I soon overcame that scenario by actually going for a decent long ride after getting the tires fitted and then at least the tires would get properly heated up and get a nice even scrub up; I'd arrange for fitting to be done in the mornings and then head-out for the afternoon somewhere...always worked a treat and it's basically the same principle as a new bike....If you want to get to know it properly make the first ride a good long bugger
    Only ever once fell into the trap of experiencing really slippery fresh tires and that was a one off experiment with some cheap arse Cheng Shins because they were using a Yokohama pattern that wasn't available any more......soon found out why they got the nick-name chin slicks
    Those old Cheng Shin things were awful, they felt like soap. An old mate of mine crashed really badly on those just cruising. I think they are better these days but I wouldn't risk it.

Cheers

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    Those old Cheng Shin things were awful, they felt like soap. An old mate of mine crashed really badly on those just cruising. I think they are better these days but I wouldn't risk it.

Cheers
    Once bitten twice shy....I'd rather run my tires to the carcass rather than fit them again; imitating Ivan Mauger using a 240kg roadbike isn't a pleasant experience....may have looked spectacular to on lookers but wasn't something I'd like to go through again

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    I haven't noticed a problem with new tyres myself but how do you people who scrub tyres scrub the sides? I mean how can you take it easy when you are on the edge of the tyre?

Cheers
    Use a belt sander. Start with 120 grit, then move to 360 after the first cut...

Nah, just ride with due restraint. My approach is to plan for a relaxed ride along a twisty bit of road, then keep increasing lean angles until the shiny surface is gone. Haven't had any real problems myself in recent years, less slippery mould release agent must be used nowadays.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    Use a belt sander. Start with 120 grit, then move to 360 after the first cut...

Nah, just ride with due restraint. My approach is to plan for a relaxed ride along a twisty bit of road, then keep increasing lean angles until the shiny surface is gone. Haven't had any real problems myself in recent years, less slippery mould release agent must be used nowadays.
    I take the wheel off and get my local tyre man to fit the new tyre I have bought.

And on getting home before refitting the wheel I wipe down all the tread with Prepsol. (Or Dulon thinners at a pinch).

Certainly takes the gloss of the tread!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    I take the wheel off and get my local tyre man to fit the new tyre I have bought.

And on getting home before refitting the wheel I wipe down all the tread with Prepsol. (Or Dulon thinners at a pinch).

Certainly takes the gloss of the tread!
    So taking a tyre from my stash, comparing it to the one fitted to bike at present...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-02 12.46.06.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	669.4 KB 
ID:	331184

This is more of a visual thing than an actual hindrance to traction, at least that's been my experience...

Some of you will just focus on the garage carpet, but hey it was in there when we bought the house!

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    So taking a tyre from my stash, comparing it to the one fitted to bike at present...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-02 12.46.06.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	669.4 KB 
ID:	331184

This is more of a visual thing than an actual hindrance to traction, at least that's been my experience...

Some of you will just focus on the garage carpet, but hey it was in there when we bought the house!
    To me it looks like you need to find more left handers, lol

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    To me it looks like you need to find more left handers, lol
    Haha, yeah the visual is kinda funny. The dusty stuff is from the driveway, that isn't a 2 inch chicken strip...

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Haha, yeah the visual is kinda funny. The dusty stuff is from the driveway, that isn't a 2 inch chicken strip...

I didn't think so, lol, This old mans chicken strips are pretty wide, I havnt even scrapped my foot pegs yet.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    . Just treat new tyres like a new girlfriend,
    Quote Originally Posted by T.W.R View Post
    ....If you want to get to know it properly make the first ride a good long bugger

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    least you get know how it's going to handle when things are warmed up and sticky

Bike
    1976 Honda GL1000, plus implements
    Watch out for skid marks...
    High miles, engine knock, rusty chrome, worn pegs...
    Brakes as new

Thread Information