Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Should new tyres really be that slippery!!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sichoe View Post
    I practice emergency braking at every red light and stop sign, then when shit gets real it's not emergency braking anymore it's just regular ass braking
    Regular ass braking leads to abrasion burns. To the ass.

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    In the gravel on the DR, I am sorta relaxed coming into a corner with the back close to locked up and snaking around while feeling for the braking limits of the front end.
    I am less relaxed when the back steps out under power while exiting the corner and although its often expected (even provoked), my reaction is to get off the gas before it gets out too far and I have no idea at all of where the limits are.

I CANNOT shift even these modest skills onto the seal. Firstly, as has been mentioned (but not emphasised), these events happen real quick. They are much more abrupt on the seal than on the gravel. If I need to think about it, then it's already way too late.
    I am completely unable to override the instinctive reaction (on the seal) to get off the gas immediately the arse steps out. So far, it hasn't mattered because recognising my limitations, I appear to be reasonably good at riding within them and so these events, when they occur, tend to be minor and sort themselves out before I have a chance to make them worse.

I would very much like to change this, but at 65 I think that I am past the point of being able to change my reflexive behaviour. A factor in this is that I don't want to change it enough to see me pushing the envelope on what is close to $40,000 worth of motorcycle.

I have tried getting the arse out in the loose on the Beemer quite a few times but the bitch has surprisingly good rear end grip and usually just fucks off at some ridiculous rate of knots.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Thread Information