Thread: Help / advise 2015 WR450F top end rebuild

Bike
    04 Buell XB12R 06 WR250F

Help / advise 2015 WR450F top end rebuild

I think its time to do a top end, on my 2015 Yamaha WR450F, Ive decided to do it myself, It looks relatively simple enough. I have all the tools needed to do the job, but want to know is it a simple matter of ordering a top end kit or are there things to look out for before ordering anything.
    Also does one go with the genuine or GYTR, looking at MotoXparts they have 3 piston Kits JE, Meteor and Wossner from $220 to $248 will still have to chase up a gasket set.
    Which would you recommend, would I have to re-shim. do I check before I pull top end down then if need be order the correct shims or do that after the new top is put back together.

Thanks John.....
    Why would you ride that long and that gnarly stuff if you don't have to, Its what we do, we love it.
    Nathan Woods R.I.P.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    If it were me, I would go OEM, but I would have a shop manual as my first purchase, as it will give you all the clearances/ wear limits to measure, as well as step by step instructions. My two cents.

Bike
    katzuki
    I have an 05 and an 08 and have replaced pistons/rings in both. The stock pistons (in those years) are cast while many/most of the aftermarket ones are forged, which are supposedly stronger. I've used aftermarket forged pistons with no problems. You will need head and base gaskets - I would go with OEM on both. You should check valve clearances before disassembly and after reassembly. I've found the before and after clearances are the same - so do any shim changes needed from your pre-disassembly check when you reassemble and you should be good to go - but definitely check to confirm.

The cylinder head bolts tightening process in the manual (again for the 05 and 08 years) is a convoluted process involving an initial torqueing to 30Nm, removal and re-lubrication of the threads then a re-torque to 20Nm followed by tightening another 1/2 turn in two steps. I don't recommend doing this unless you are using new bolts - it yields them so they won't tighten to same torque when reused. I have personal experience of the consequences of this - successively blown head gaskets that I only fixed when I used new bolts. However, since then I have successfully reused bolts by just doing the initial torqueing to 30Nm. Personally, I would probably reuse the bolts if I knew it was the first time the head had been off (or you know new bolts were used on the current assembly) - and as I say just do the initial torqueing to 30Nm and leave it there.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Geez OldGuy, that bloody thing goes well enough now! Cept'n of course for the ridiculous amounts of fuel it uses when you're out wiv da boys on a leisueriely South Auckland Thursday Night Ride.
    Need any help mate, give us a call, most of the tools torque wrench etc in da garage.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Thread Information